Receiver or sub

Username: Zullo

Post Number: 1
Hello, all. Sorry to be bothering you. I am new to this forum and fairly new to high end audio as well and I am in one serious doubt in what would make a better upgrade for my system. I got a pair polk?s RTi10 and one brand level receiver, not in the same level as polk?s loudspeakers. I now am thinking about upgrading my system but cannot decide if i should whether buy a new good quality receiver or a good quality subwoofer. I am thinking of buying the denon avr-1905, avr-2805 or avr-3805. Is difference in price between them worth the money or the lowest one would already be adequate? What are your suggestions on these receivers, are there others on the same price range that could do better for me?
Now, about the sub. What could match my system? I heard polk?s subs are not the best, that there are others on the same price range that can do better than them.

I mainly listen to drum'n'bass and jazz. My budget is of about US$1600 for the receiver and US$1000 for the sub.

Sorry for the long post and I hope you can help me.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 209
Your budget is more than ample in both departments.

Yes, speaker manufacturers usually make mediocre subs. I'd look at SVS and Hsu for the best subs for your money, should cost $400-700 tops.

If your current receiver has amplifier pre-outs, I'd just buy a good NAD or Rotel integrated amp and hook it up to that.

Otherwise the Denon 2805 should be more than adequate, you can also look into Harman Kardon and Marantz receivers, I'd say $600-$1000 should get you more than excellent quality.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 293
NAD T763 receiver, Era Sub 10, total $2000.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 294
Oops...total $2300.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the kind answers. One thing you might have not understood is that my budget is not of $1600+$1000. It's $1600,00 OR $1000,00. I've checked the SVS and was very impressed with it. The problem is that they don't have any dealers, they just sell over the internet and to dispatch it to Brazil you could easily multiply the cost by 4. Anyways, it would still be on what I could spend with a sub but would not allow me to get a receiver.
I have been looking into the HKs. I was very impressed by the HK635 specs. I have not listened to it but I have read many good things about HK receivers. Of course, I am still doing my research and I can change my view completely.
Once again, thank you and I hope you can continue helping me.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 328
check and see if there are any velodyne dealers by you. they also make some very good subs. i have heard many good things about the SPL II series. you can get their smallest one for $1000 US. They also have a cheaper sub that is still pretty hefty and gives good bass response. you could also try looking into Marantz for a reciever.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 698
Id be wary of NAD. The other recommendations are OK, but if you read enough threads on this forum, you'll see many unsatisfied NAD customers.

They seem to have either a design flaw, or lack of quality control. There are lots of complaints about humming and hissint sounds coming from the NAD amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Jose,

The HK635 is a top-notch receiver, I can't imagine you ever being unhappy with it.

If I had a pair of RTi10s and had to choose between a receiver or a sub, I'd go for the receiver hands down. The RTi10s should already provide plenty of good mid-bass.

Post Number: 3
thank you, people. How about the Marantzes, how do they compare to the harman kardons?

Unregistered guest
Jose

I'm also brazilian and understand how difficult and expensive it is to get good equipment here.
I've been researching to upgrade my HT, so I can share my findings: I think you won't be disappointed with either Denon or Marantz, for hi-fi level. If you are buying it in Brasil, the AVR 1905 will cost US$ 1.000, while you can buy it in US for abourt US$ 350 (check www.audioexcellence.com). As to speakers and sub, I'd go for B&W. The ASW 600 will cost 500 bucks in US against 1.100 equivalent dolars in Brasil. So, 350(receiver) plus 500(sub) leave in your budget a difference enough for you to buy an air ticket, go to US, buy the stuff, and bring back some change. Problem will be the Customs which only allow US$ 500/person, without tax.
Please consider the AVR 2105 also (about $500 in US, $1350 in Brasil). The 2805 and 3805 will probably exceed your needs (waste of money, unless you need too much power). If you like Marantz, see the SR 4500, 5500 and 6400, in the same range of those Denons.

Bronze Member
Username: Dary

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 64
José,

My experience is that your best bet is the HK635. BTW, I have a Velodyne SPL 1200 II and agree with Cristopher Lee: is a good choice for room size up to 30 m2.
Are you an HTForum member? There are several helpfull posts there about A/V shopping in Brazil.
Regards.

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
Yeah if I were buying a receiver today I'd go for the HK 635 too, though first I'd take a chance and experiment with the pure-digital Panasonic sa-xr55.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 30
Edster, I've heard that Panasonic, and it sucks major. I have yet to hear a digital amp that sounds anything like an analog. Even HK's new DPR 2005 sounds like garbage. uneven frequency response, harsh tones, high distortion at medium to high volume...blah blah blah...

Long Live Analog! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Cyrus, where'd you hear it? I thought it wasn't due out for another week or two. If I can find it locally I may do a home audition myself, just out of curiousity.

I did hear a JVC RX-F10 and for 2-channel music it was pretty amazing, esp. for the money. The Pannys I haven't heard, just read about them---huge thread on the avsforum.com with about 90% positive feedback, many folks selling off their separates for them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Sorry, Edster, I double-checked, and it was the Sa-xr50, not the 55. I work at little electronics store in Lafayette, IN. and we sell lots of stuff. Mostly HK, Onkyo, Infinity, JBL, that stuff. I wish we could carry higher end stuff like Marantz and Paradigm, but our clients would never buy it...I have trouble getting people to ditch their old Sony receivers for an HK! lol!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Oh, ya, and if the 55 is anything like the 50, it will suck too. Maybe i'm just old school, but i don't like the way digital amps sound...I grew up around HK analog receivers and that's what I enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
Cyrus,

how about getting people to ditch their Bose systems? I'd be curious to hear about that one...

The sa-xr55 probably will not sound all that different from the 50, it just has more features and real binding posts for all speakers, as I understand it.

Post Number: 4
Thank you all for your kind help. BTW Dary, I am a member of HTForum. Next week I'll go to some stores to listen to the recommended systems. I have no idea how the digital amps sound but in general digital equipment loses the warmness of analog.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us