578A-S to SP-502 ( real upgrade )

Username: Zerob

Post Number: 7
Hi ,

I'm using Pioneer DVD 578A-S as my stereo source - two channels only , no SACD nor DVDA listening .
I would like to hear from you if there would be any real " musical " advantage if I replace it by the ONKYO DVD DV-SP502 .

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=DV-SP502&p=f&class=DVD

Thank you all again in advance .

P.S. : Sorry . Don't know where to post that ( an Audio or DVD question ? ) .

Anonymous

The real question is would you notice an advantage with the Pioneer DV588-A. The Onkyo just got reviewed at secrets, and guess what its a rebadged Pioneer 588.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=123 #OnkyoDV-SP502%20Universal%20DVD%20Player
If you like your pioneer hold on to it! There might be some sound improvement but I doubt it, if your looking to spend some money to improve the sound you might want to look at a better bass management like the Outlaw ICBM and some cables.

Anonymous

On my last post I suggested better bass management, and then saw you were using it in two channel stereo. This is not really an issue then. I beleive the Pioneer uses the Burr-Brown DAC's I'm not sure what Onkyo is using but the Pioneer has always proved to be a more than your money worth investment. I don't think you will notice a hugh change in the audio quality of these two units. You might notice a change if you got a dedicated CD player.

Bronze Member
Username: Konoyaro

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 20
Interesting info. I was considering purchasing the Onkyo DV-SP502 for a while and although the reviewer on Secrets thinks cosmetics are worth an additional $100 (or about double the cost of the Pioneer), I'm not so sure. I do agree that the Onkyo looks better, but still... It also make me wonder if the the Integra DPS-6.5 is also the same as the Pioneer. It has an MSRP of $500.

Anonymous

DVD Benchmark , July 2005 said that Onkyo DV-SP 502 " ... is a replica of the popular ( Pioneer ) DV-588a ... " .

The problem is that Onkyo DV-SP 502 was released around six months * before * this Pioneer DVD model ...

What more in this Onkyo's review is also absurd ?

Anonymous

I meant no offense if you are a Onkyo owner. It is common knowledge that some manufacturers provide OEM parts for others. The chipset in the Pioneer DV-588a is the same as the DV-578a. And the DV-578a has been available longer than the Onkyo DV-SP 502.

I also went from the info in the review that said: "The SP-502 is a rebadged Pioneer player, but thankfully it does not fall into the category of duping its customer base. " I see the next line about the replia you mentioned.

Please note: NO OFFENSE WAS INTENDED.

Q: Why do you feel the "Onkyo's review is also absurd?"

Risun
Unregistered guest
what is the difference between the Pioneer DV578 and the Pioneer DV588? If the chipset is the same...then why pay $30-$50 more for the 588?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us