$300 Receivers: Onkyo TX-SR500 vs. Pioneer VSX-D811S

Anonymous
Trying to decide between Onkyo TX-SR500 and Pioneer VSX-D811S - both are around $300 but come with vastly different capabilities. I will be using the receiver with a 5.1 setup of Polk RM6600 satellite speakers and the Samsung DLP507 that has a ton of component connections. Do not have plans anytime soon to do 6.1 and don't think I will need the receiver for component switching.

The Pioneer seems clearly superior but I want to make sure that I am not missing something or have something improperly documented. The issues:
* Power: The VSX-D811S delivers 100 watts x 2 (stereo) and a full 100 watts x 6 (surround), with pre-amp output for all channels. Onkyo has 65 watts/ch.
* Decoding: Pioneer has 6.1/7.1 Digital EX and DTS-ES. Onkyo is 5.1 and DTS.
* DACs: same
* Connections: Onkyo does not have any component video connections. Do you think this would be a mistake? Pioneer has component switching.

Thanks in advance.

i have the pioneer nice unit

Anonymous
I love my Pioneer VSX-D811S. For the same price as Onkyo, it gives me an ability to upgrade in future to HDTV.
100W X 6 really sounds nice. Pioneer also has the option to hook up 2 or 1 speaker or 1 sub for an additional back surround option.

Even if you do not want to use 6.1 setup any time soon, but you will not be left behind with Pioneer, when the time comes for an upgrade.

Anonymous
Do you think that the Spec's on the Pioneer are an issue? 1% THD @ 1Khz seems very poor.

Anonymous
Pioneer receivers (not Elite) are notorius for having distortion problems, but you probably wont notice until you play at high volume.

All Polk Speakers love clean power receivers like Onkyo, Denon and HK.

Component switching is neat but you do have some signal loss, I have my DVD and STB ran to their inputs direct to the RPTV even though my receiver can switch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us