Any good A/V receivers w/ depth of <13 " ???

Username: Jaims

Post Number: 1
Boy, could I use some help. Have a bookcase set up with shelf depth of 14" - hard to find a decent receiver set up that is not 14" or more. Anything decent out there in the less than 13" range?

Any with any ideas (have looked at the Sony STR-D597 model but have heard some not so good things about that unit).

Thanks for any help

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 582
This is just me, but I'd design my component shelving to match the best components I could find based on my personal tastes, and not purchase whatever fits the space if sound is of any importance.

I couldnt ever imagine buying components based on physical dimensions.

Sorry, I know that wasnt the answer you were looking for, but I doubt many people memorize the LxWxH of their components. I can tell you what they weigh though.........Heh

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 192
Well I usually disagree with Paul on speakers but not this time...

And please Jim, banish all thoughts of Sony (and Bose, of course) from your mind when looking at receiver---much better for same money is available.

First we'd need your budget, what you'll use it for (music or HT? type of music?), size of room, etc. A hell of a lot more important factors than the physical depth of the thing.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 18
You might look at the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R. The unit is a 6.1 receiver with 80 watts per channel. I believe the U.S. MSRP on it is around $700. It is about 12.2" deep. Cambridge Audio is a respected British manufacturer.

Another shallow depth receiver is the Sherwood Newcastle R-903, a 6.1 digital receiver with 100 watts per channel. It's only 10" deep and has an MSRP of $600. Don't know much about the brand.

I've never heard either of these receivers; perhaps someone else can comment on them.

Post Number: 2
My budget is really not a factor.

I originally only planned to have a plasma, speakers (either built in or factory add ons), a dvd and a STB. All of the above components fit easily into my shelf depth dimensions. It was only an after thought of adding an AV receiver into the mix for surround sound reasons.

Its really more of a home theater thing than anything else. Its also not critical to have this set up but it would be a nice option to exercise.

Thanks JIM for the info. I will look those up.

Jim, Ed, Christopher: Any recommendations for speakers for a 6.1 in a mid range price category (around $500)?

I prefer black and fairly small size - I have this very nice high end cherry wood entertainment center that would clash with anything other than a subdued looking speaker set up(read: not to wide - narrow is okay - shelf height about 14 inches), and definitely black (or similar) in color. Seems as though so many speakers are silver, which would defintiely clash with that warm wood look.

Great to have found this forum and look forward to your assistance and experienced input.

PS - Will stay away from SONY - yes, I came across some neg. reviews of Sony (what's happen to Sony quality anyways - oh - that's probably a whole 'nother thread).

In my searches (many a night), I did come across the JVC RX-F10S at 13" deep. Seems to have some decent specs for its price range. Comments?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 19
Jim - Don't get speakers that are too small; depending on the size of your room, you won't be moving enough air to get decent, balanced sound. I'd stay away from anything "mini-cubish." Try to stick with main speakers with at least 5" woofers. Also, if you're placing them in shelves, look for something front ported.

Sorry, I don't know anything about JVC receivers. They don't seem to be too popular; at least I don't see many folks recommending them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
$500 for a 6.1 speaker setup is really not a whole lot of money if you want something half decent.

Since you say budget is not a real big issue, what I'd do is raise it to around $1200. Concentrate on getting very good quality front 3 speakers and subwoofer (this 3.1 will do 90% of the work), then go cheap on the rear surrounds.

Ascend 170s L/R, Ascend 340 center, Hsu STF-2 subwoofer would go for $1045 shipped from ascendacoustics.com --- do a Google search for Ascend and you'll find that they are one of the best-reviewed and best values in Internet-direct speakers around.

For the back, I'd go with 2 pairs of Polk R15s which will run about $200 total shipped from jandr.com --- I know you said 6.1 not 7.1 but they only come in pairs and most new receivers nowadays are 7.1 anyways.

As for the JVC RX-F10, I listened to one while auditioning the Ascends and was very impressed with its spaciousness, clarity and definition. The price point is just unbelievable, it destroys most receivers costing twice or even three times as much. It even made me question my purchase just a month earlier of a Marantz 5400 in fact, which I had been very happy with.

For HT though, the Panasonic pure digitals are said to be better than the JVC. If I were you I'd wait a couple of weeks, since Panasonic's new SA-XR55 is due to be released in May, you can pre-order for $250 from jandr.com

The SA-XR55 is 7.1 and has real binding posts as opposed to the JVC's 6.1 and spring clips.

Search hometheaterforum.com and avsforum.com for huge threads on these all-digital receivers, the consensus seems about 90% very positive, with many users claiming that they're ready to sell off even their separates costing thousands of dollars after trying out these Pannys.

Post Number: 3
Both great posts/info to chew on.

BTW, what is a front ported speaker? (speaker cones facing out?)

Also, I will up my ante on speakers: I take it that good speakers will make a mid price range set up sound better (should I be concerned about a speaker budget that does not live up to the lower mid range budget for the receiver?)

Can the sub woofer be placed anywhere in the room?

Thanks again for the guidance. It is a jungle of info out there, and I still will search the forums to educate myself as much as possible.

Oh yeah: Should I be interested in a receiver that has component inputs but only optical/coaxial outputs (is that not what is the case with the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R)?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 459
BTW, what is a front ported speaker? (speaker cones facing out?)

A port is just a hole that, simply stating, lets extra air out of the speaker. You will want the port on the front of the speaker if they are sitting in a cabinet so it can breathe.

Can the sub woofer be placed anywhere in the room?

Yes, in fact it will sound quite different at different locations in the room. Room acoustics, as well as anything in the room that will resonate at different frequencies will help determine the placement of the sub.

Oh yeah: Should I be interested in a receiver that has component inputs but only optical/coaxial outputs (is that not what is the case with the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R)?

Component refers to video cables, I've found it to be a null feature unless there is any video scaling involved with the receiver. Generally with a plasma, the video processing will be superior in the TV vs. most receivers.

Optical and coax inputs are for connecting DVD players etc. up with 5.1 digital sound, make sure you have enough inputs for all your gear now and the future. Digital output isn't useful in most applications unless doing something such as running the digital audio to another receiver in your home.

I second Edster's recommendation on the Ascends, but I find them to be not very pleasing visually. Unfortuneatly, at the price point they offer with a quality sub including the audio performance is VERY hard to beat. You might be able to find some Polk Rti 4/6 for a good deal at Circuit City at a good price if they still stock them. Also check out Best Buy and see if they still stock the Athena AS-B1 and AS-B2s, the price could be decent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Yes, you will get a much more noticeable return on your investment with speakers than with any other part of your system. Second would be the receiver/amp, then the subwoofer, then quite a distance back, the source (CD/DVD player). Fancy cables/interconnects are even further back IMO.

I agree with Kano on the Ascends not being too pretty---this is true of the 170s but not the larger 340s (which I own). If your budget allows for upgrading to the 340s then that would be even better, especially if it's a larger room---the extra driver and wide dispersion tweeter do create a more room-filling sound.

The Polk RTi4 usually runs around $300/pair and the RTi6 at $400/pair, and both of them to my ears were far behind the 170s in sound quality, the RTi4 especially distorted quickly at high volumes. But they are more visually appealing, no argument there. The Athenas I haven't heard but hear good things about, and recently Best Buy had the B1s for just $100 a pair I think.

As for the subwoofer, people usually like to tuck it away in a corner where it's not only less visible but also will produce stronger bass. Just buy a longer length of coaxial cable and use RCA adapter plugs ($6 at radioshack) on each end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us