Audioquest Speaker Cable

Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 9
Anybody have any personal experience with Audioquest speaker cable...namely GR8 or Type 4?

My local dealer has a closeout on GR8 at an excellent price so I am considering it. The alternative is the newer Type 4 which is a little more $$. Just don't want to spend money on either one that I would be disappointed with in the end and if the GR8 is better or equal for less $$ then all the better. Thanks.

Anonymous

There are lots of reviews (user and audio websites) online for Type 4 cable. Its pretty popular due to its attractive price range

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 11
Should I post as anonymous?
I may not make friends here...

I do not spend $12 per foot for speaker cable. I use 12 gauge oxygen-free cable at C$0.40 a foot at a local electronics discount place.

Read http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/cable.html

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 140
Peter,

I agree fully. It just amazes me what some people will try to sell you. My brother bought my father a super cheap $50 DVD player for Christmas, and the guy at "a very large electronics store" (hint: the store uses a lot of red) tried to sell him an $80 S-Video cable to hook it to the TV with. Hmmm, and $80 cable for a $50 DVD player...does anyone else see anything wrong with this? My brother bought it at first, but took it back after I enlightened him.

So, I agree that you shouldn't spend $12 per foot on speaker cable. I recommend checking out www.partsexpress.com. They offer VERY reasonable prices on audio accessories. I got 100 feet of 12 gauge wire ("Sound King" brand I think) for just over $30 shipped.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Yea, I've heard similar statements and anybody who posts here shouldn't ask questions they don't want answers to :0)

It seems opinions are as varied as Receiver sound preferences on this but most of the technical info provided seems to point that speaker wire is not as critical as many tout...especially the claims by those companies marketing them.

The Axiom article was interesting. Funny they now carry a good looking solid speaker cable that appears to be comparable to the AQ cables I've been looking at in price too.

In the end it's probably not that critical but I'm not gonna use lamp wire as I've heard some out there say you could do and get similar results. Thanks for the advice and links.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
...been to PartsExpress too. They do offer some good stuff and I was gonna pull the trigger on some Acoustic Research interconnects and RF Coax then I found accessories4less.com had the exact same ones cheaper so I went with them.

I think it depends a lot on what you're looking for and timing with these prices so it pays to shaop around.

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 12
JDG,

Absolutely right about shopping around. I also don't feel right using plain lamp cord; I just don't go overboard overpaying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us