Speaker Stands----are they worth it?

Username: Erik

Post Number: 7
So I just bought my system....Im gonna get the DVD/CD player, 2 rear speakers and remaning Cables at Circuit City but it consists of
2 Ascend 170's
1 340 center speaker
1014 Pioneer reciever

I bought the 170 mounts as well from ascend but I didnt buy the stand for the center channel. The Un-inviting $50 + shipping price for a stand was'nt the main thing that inhibited me from buying this, but rather the stand is setup so the beam goes right through the Middle and the center lays horizontaly on top, thus making a "T" That Kinda sucks since I want my center speaker to be right below by Flatscreen in the same rack as my reciever and DVD player---right in front/Middle. So, can't I just get a piece of furniture and place the center 340 on a shelf? Or should I get some kinda mount? I wish Ascend would have sold a stand that would have room to place other equipmet on it (like an upside donw U)
So wat do you recommend? Do I really need an actual speaker stand?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 447
It's rare a centre channel's placement is ideal. Centre channels are shaped the way they are to accomodate placement around a television. Place it wherever space allows. A stand may open the speaker up a bit, but if it doesn't fit esthetically, it isn't worth it plus the centre channel's area of use would hardly benefit from being on a stand.

Prop up the front end to aim the tweeter at your listening position

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
Reconsider buying cables from Circuit City. There are better deals out there for higher quality products for less money. IMO Monster offers an ok product, but is very mediocre especially for what they charge. If you apply the same $$$ Monster charges to other cables you will likely have some excellent products.

I bought my speakers, receiver and cables all from Future Shop, (Best Buy in Canada) and while I'm very happy with the Polk Rti speakers and Harman Kardon receiver, I definitely regret buying all Monster cables. Not because of the preformance they deliver, but because of the $800 CAN I paid for them.

Post Number: 8
The reason I want to buy at Circuit City or Sound Advice is becuse Im not quite sure what cables Im gonna need...is it just gauged wire that you tighten into the back? Banana plug or 1/8'th inch?

Oh ya I got an SVS PB-10 for my sub.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 199
Listen to Kano about those cables, he knows of what he speaks.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 108
Cables offer the lowest noticeable return to investment ratio in all of audio---zero according to some people, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Get the cheapest generic cables and interconnects you can find for now, upgrade later if you have the extra cash and curiousity. Any generic speaker cable 12-16 gauge will do.

Good places for wiring and cables, as well as speaker stands: accessories4less.com and partsexpress.com as well as cousinsvideo.com

You should be able to find a simple metal stand for the center that will put it under your TV.

Otherwise using a wall shelf (secured to studs of course) should work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
Sound Advice carries good cabling. The one in my neck of the woods uses all AR cabling, which sells for the same price as Monster.

otherwise....

www.avcable.com
www.bluejeanscables.com
www.wireworldaudio.com
www.bettercables.com (expensive)

just to name a few

Post Number: 9
Thanks alot guys, youve been such a good help. Im so glad I came to this forum before I purchased.

Anonymous

I've always found Acoustic Research cables and wires to be categorically lower priced (At least $15 less for a 3' Toslink, for example) than Monster and of comparable (or better) quality. All cabling in my system is AR and I haven't bought a cable from them yet that was defective or had any problems with them.

The only things in a cable that are worth paying more for are proper shielding and well made, decent quality plugs. The way I look at it, it can't hurt anything to buy quality cables but spending more than you'd spend for, say, AR cables is a waste of money. Even my component cables for the connection between my DVD player and my TV didn't cost more than $30....and you could probably get a decent set for less than that. Just don't buy the really, really cheap ones that don't have good shielding. The really cheap ones often go bad, too. I have a bunch of the cheapies laying around and at least one of the wires on a set of three on virtually every set is unusable.

OTOH, if it makes you feel better to buy utra expensive cables and wires, by all means. It can't hurt anything. It just gives me a bit of a knot in my stomach to think about anyone spending over $50 for a single cable.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 236
If you can't afford to lay down some bucks for cables the best cheap cable on the market is NXG. It is the preferred cable of professional custom installers. $6 per 1 meter pair. I buy custom cables made at Northwest Audio Labs for $45 per 1 meter pair. Best I've heard at anywhere near thr price. I would like to buy better someday, but for now what I have will do. Oh, and I am not trying to start another cable war. If you can't hear any difference for god's sake don't buy 'em.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us