Paradigm, PSB, Tannoy, Triangle

Anonymous

Looking for your opinion on Paradigm, PSB, Tannoy, Triangle (you can add other brands) for a HT/Music set-up in a bright room (lots of windows, hard floor, ...). Looking to spend somewhere between $500-$1000 for the front LR speakers. I would much prefer speakers that are NOT rear ported because they will be housed inside cabinets (yes, I know all the problems it will cause).

I have auditioned Paradigm, and will audition others. All I'm looking for is your informed opinions. If you want to add which receiver you would pair your selection to, that would be great too. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 66
In my long search for speakers I auditioned Paradigm, PSB, and Tannoy (never heard of Triangle). I now have a nice, shiny new set of Studio 20's and am loving them. To me the Paradigms were the best balanced speakers of all I listened to. The Tannoys were nice, but a little bright to me & I didn't care for the PSBs at all (IMHO not in the same class as the previous two).

While most around here would suggest against it, I'mm running my Paradigms with a Marantz 5400 & am quite happy with the combination.

Obviously your best course is to audition everything you can and make up your own mind.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 195
I am a Paradigm fan as I own Monitor 5's, though I must admit that I like the other brands you listed. Triangle in particular make a great speaker. I am using my Monitor 5's with an NAD C162 Pre and Hafler 9505 power amp. I use a Marantz SR5400 as a processor (I have Mini's for rears and a CC370 center). Anyway, they all sound great but my money is on the Paradigm's.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
I own the Green Mountain Audio Europas, and for the money they kill Paradigm hands down. They are a time and phase coherent design unlike any of the speakers you have mentioned. This allows you to hear what the artist really intended, instead of smeared treble and midrange like Paradigm and the rest offer. The owner, Roy Johnson, spent 30 years working to make the perfect speaker, and if you take a listen, I think you will agree with me that he succeeded. You can be OK with a pair of Monitor 5's, with good performance on a few recordings, or you can be thrilled with your purchase and enjoy everything like you are listening to it for the first time with GMA speakers.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
I own the Green Mountain Audio Europas, and for the money they kill Paradigm hands down. They are a time and phase coherent design unlike any of the speakers you have mentioned. This allows you to hear what the artist really intended, instead of smeared treble and midrange like Paradigm and the rest offer. The owner, Roy Johnson, spent 30 years working to make the perfect speaker, and if you take a listen, I think you will agree with me that he succeeded. You can be OK with a pair of Monitor 5's, with good performance on a few recordings, or you can be thrilled with your purchase and enjoy everything like you are listening to it for the first time with GMA speakers.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest

Bronze Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 68
Plenty of manufactures design and build good speakers Maui. You act like GMA is the only competent speaker maker out there. Stop giving such one sided advice or don't give it at all. Let the listener decide. E.Ramsey

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Like Chris, I own Paradigm Reference Studio 20's and love them. At that price point, Studio 20's are excellent speakers -- crystal clear highs, clean and detailed midrange, excellent lows for their size. Despite their size, they are very robust speakers and fill my 4000+ cubic feet area very nicely. They are front ported and I have them in sitting on the base cabinet of my custom wall unit -- and they sound great!

Having said that, I agree with Chris that you should get out and audition as many speakers as you can. Not everyone likes the same sound in speakers. If they did, there would be only one speaker company.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Just dont come crying to me when you find half of your recordings are unlistenable Mr. Ramsey. GMA is one of the best speaker designers in the business today. You can either listen to music the right way, phase and time coherent, or the wrong way. If you want to flush your money down the toilet thats fine with me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
I find every recording listenable Maui. Such a small speaker may be great for music but with it's dimmunitive woofer it's doubtful it will provide the deep bass extension needed for home theater without a sub. Most people buy a speaker package these days for home theater as well as music. To time align different frequencies at all points in a particular room is impossible as room acoustics widely vary as will listening positions. Everthing you said is purely subjective. The speakers the first poster mentioned are fine speakers and critics agree. E.Ramsey

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Perhaps you should visit audiogon and see what people say about the GMA's? 6moons.com has an excellent review of GMA products as well. As I have said before, the Europa has enough bass for music. If you want boomy bloated bass, be my guest.

Nicolaskl
Unregistered guest
So any speaker with a driver larger than 6 inches has boomy, bloated bass?

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 19
Hey mauimici...mauimusic...man!
I'm personally getting sick of your tone and your extremely biased opinion. I've been playing really nice on this board for the last 3 weeks, but you're obviously getting on everyone's nerves. You throw barbs each time someone disagrees with you...just like the subject of a famous 'beatdown' said, "Why can't we all just get along?"

You actually piqued my curiosity and I went to that GMA website...great concept, but will they ever be able to make it past the backorder problem and become a 'real speaker company' like the others you trash? I'd like to hear some, but living 50 miles outside of Yellowstone National Park, we don't have many audio stores.

OK, I'll calm down now. Please, you do the same!

jimvm
Unregistered guest
There is only one speaker that anyone should buy and that is Paradigm Reference Studio 20's. They simply (pick one: destroy / demolish / annihilate / wipe out / obliterate ) all other speakers. Compared to the Studio 20's, all other speakers literally suck!

Mauimusicman - can't you see how silly that sounds? Your posts come across just like that. I venture to say that most people who read those kinds of posts just roll their eyes. I know I do.

And to suggest that everyone who purchases anything other than GMA speakers is flushing their money down the toilet is insulting. By making such moronic statements, you turn people off; they end up placing little credence in anything you say. I really don't think you're doing GMA any favors. Your postings remind me of those loud, shrill rantings of the local used car dealer that you see on TV late at night. When I hear those rantings, my tendency is to promise myself that I would never buy a used car from that nutcase. I suspect a lot of other folks feel similarly.

Do yourself (and GMA) a favor -- tone it down a couple of notches. You can brag on your GMA's without tearing other speakers apart and without insulting anyone. People do it all the time on this and other forums, so I know it can be done. Why not give it a try? You might find that more folks will give you a little more respect than you seem to be getting at this forum.

Anonymous - I'm sorry for the rant in your thread but I just couldn't help myself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Look Maui, time alignment in a speaker is nothing new. DCM introduced it's highly acclaimed "Time Window" design as early as 1974. Sure time alignment is possible in a speaker at NEAR FIELD but when you take into account room acoustics which absolutely cannot be ignored the asorbtion/reflection of different frequencies through different materials will do much to negate this effect. I can assume that since you are a musician that you pretty much only listen to music and not dvd's and you listen critically rather than most of us who listen for pure enjoyment. You sir fall into about a 5 to 10 percent category, as most people listen to surround sound as well as stereo music. Given that most people seek to by a speaker package with large front speakers that are leaning to a more full range response which is good for music as well as the low frequency effects of Dolby Digital. There is a plethora of manufucturers out there that produce decent to very fine tower speakers that have great(not necessarily "boomy") bass as you maintain. The GMA's appear to have,at least based on their poor website a 5" to 6" driver as a woofer. Given this size to produce usable bass below about 70-80HZ is IMPOSSIBLE without the use of a subwoofer. The laws of physics are against that. Many classical recordings have low frequency effects such as tubular bells, electric pipe organs whose frequency range is down as low as 20Hz and kettle drums. So this is something to consider. I would like to hear this "magical" speaker that you so herald above all others. I guess you have misguided philosophy that all large woofers produce bloated and boomy sound. From the many speakers containing such I've heard nothing could be further from the truth. E.Ramsey

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 196
And if you want Green Mountain Europa's plenty of satisfied customers are selling theirs on Audiogon. It doesn't take long to figure out that maui has a vested interest. Frankly I don't care what speakers you chose I just hope you are happy with them and can enjoy your music. I don't just enjoy a few of my recordings I enjoy them all, but ofcourse that is because I love music. Take a look at the GMA website. Buy at your own risk. Remember it took him 30 years to perfect them, if that doesn't scare you, nothing will.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 67
MauiMusicman,
Apparently you don't know the other speakers the original poster asked about as well as you indicate, or you would know about Tannoy's DC lines. Talk about phase and time coherent! Their point source technology used in their dual concentric drivers addresses the concerns of coherency. I have heard them. They are very good. They didn't impress me so much that I felt the need to buy them.

I have heard other coherent designs as well (Thiel, etc.) Still not the speakers I chose to go with. Coherency isn't everything. I have to agree with Eric's assertions about room acoustics. Also, for those of us who have to use our equipment in a "real world" environment - not a dedicated sound room with 1 seat in an ideal position relative to the speakers, much of that is going to be lost. I have a room wider than it is long, Have to set up the best soudnfield I can for 2 chairs and a sofa. Having a non-audiophile wife, I also have to take into account what she finds esthetically pleasing, though she is willing to allow a great deal of lattitude, and economically prudent.

Could they be great speakers? Sure, probably are. Is everything else crap? no. Are they only time and phase coherent speakers? No, not even the only ones in his budget. Be careful what you trash unless you know whereof you speak.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
My $0.02: I don't hear (see doesn't really apply ;) ) that time/phase coherent makes that big of a difference. My Paradigm dealer also happened to have the DCs, so I got to do an A/B audition on them and preferred the Paradigms. I used a live recording of a band where I went to that same concert--the Paradigms sounded more like the live performance to me than any of the dozen speakers I've listened to. Of course, YMMV.

There is also the WAF; quite possibly one of the largest deciding factors.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
If you want to listen to music the wrong way, that is fine with me. You aren't a real audiophile, but it is your choice. Just do yourself a favor and go to 6moons.com and read the GMA review there.

Anonymous 2
Unregistered guest
If we all admit that we listen to music the wrong way; that none of us are audiophiles; that GMA speakers are the only speakers that reproduce what the artist intended, will you go away?

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 120
Time coherence is very important! music consists of pitch. loudness and TIMING. Talk about live performance; Chris, I had the opposite experience with my paradigm dealer. I a/b'd some recordings from the Naim label - two mics in a room recording musicians while they play. No overdubs or mixing. When I listed on a pair of Meadowlark Kestrels, I heard music (as did the salesman and a few bystanders). When I listend on a pair of Studio 60 V3's I did not. I was surprised at how artificial such a pure recording sounded on the Paradigms!

That experience is why I (and probably Maui) get so bent about time coherence. If the speakers are twisting and delaying the waveform, then that is wrong - it's very plainly presented in a step response graph.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
It appears that Maui and Cornelius simply do not understand the physics of room acoustics. Time coherence is important and a good thing, I never stated that it was not. But this is only effective at NEAR FIELD listening. As I stated previously room acoustics will greatly affect time coherency. Different frequencys will travel through,reflect or be absorbed by room materials,wood,glass,carpet,fabric,concrete,sheet rock at diffrent rates,just ask any acoustical engineer and they will affirm this. This will then cause a time differential between near field listening and other points in the room. This will amount to a speaker that is time coherent at near field and time smeared at other points in the room. Unless the room is an empty non-resonant basically anechoic chamber this will be IMPOSSIBLE to prevent.Maui, you can dispense with the negatives"you aren't a real audiophile" as this forum is not the place for character assesment. I for one could care less how you feel about my listening habits and from what I read from the other posters on this thread the probably feel about the same. E.Ramsey

Silver Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 121
Hey Eric, you have a lot more experience that I, but I must say that when I listen to time coherent/point source speakers, I just find the sound much more engaging. One of my biggest problems with speakers today is the over/under emphasis of frequencies to hype detail. I just think that the time coherent speakers that I've heard provide detail and realism without resorting to such measures. I also like 1st order crossover for their simplicity, which in audio is always a good thing.

It's true, I use my Sequerras in a near field environment, but at home, I feel that having a point source speaker at least gets me closer to a great sound than any others that I've heard in my home - even if I'm not close to the speakers.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
I have been playing the ukulele in the main lobby of the Best Western here in Maui for 20+ years Eric. I think I know which speaker reproduces it the best, the GMA Europa. And there is more to the Europa than just time/phase coherency! It has a cast marble cabinet (fancy marketing term ehh, not even a nice marble veneer on it), and pure silver internal wiring!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Well Maui, I think that you have made your favoritism for the magical GMA abundantly clear. Like I said you don't seem to grasp the importance of speaker/listening room interaction. That's OK not everyone understands physics. Like I said before I would love to give the GMA a listen. I'm sure they sound great and their price seems reasonable, however since I am an avid home theater enthuisist as well as a music lover I need a tower speaker with a large woofer for my front left and right speakers. A speaker such as the Europa will not provide the deeper low frequency extension that is needed for digital surround,dvd audio as well as many types of cd music. So for me a speaker that is "music only" is impractical. So to say I listen to music the "wrong way" is purely bunk and subjective. Anyway this thread is becoming increasingly exhausting for me so unless anyone has anything further to add or to somehow argue against my point of how crucial a role room acoustics play, which at this point is not likely,I will retire now gentlemen. Remember to refrain from character assasination and insults this is what seems to plague this forum. E.Ramsey

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1720
Eric,

Before you go, you stated: "however since I am an avid home theater enthuisist as well as a music lover I need a tower speaker with a large woofer for my front left and right speakers."

Just inquisitive, are you adverse to using a subwoofer vs full range speakers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
No My Rantz I favor "fuller range" speakers and a large sub for the most impact. This cannot be achieved with small satelite speakers and a sub.E.Ramsey

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
To further elaborate MyRantz I say"fuller range" because no speaker regardless of size will produce the full audio spectrum-20Hz-20KHz,although some of the ultra high end exotics come very close E.Ramsey

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1722
I certainly agree with you about the small sat speakers. This is where a lot of people fall into a big HT mistake. I don't have the benefit of hearing full range speakers at home so I can't give an honest preference, but my mains response are 27khz to 50hz with the lfe crossovers set at 80hz . I find I get all the oomph for movies needed and a great balance for music - especially hi-res surround. It sounds like you have quite a large room?

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Eric, I took physics in high school, I think I am more than qualified to discuss time/phase questions. On top of this, I have been a professional musician at the Best Western for over twenty years. Before that I still had much experience listening to music as I was a dancer at the Best Western Luau. I accidentally threw a torch at someone, so they said I should be a musician instead of a dancer, but that is beside the point.

Yes room acoustics must be taken into account, but if you have an engineered listening room like I do with much acoustical treatment, then its impact is lessened. The Europas do still hit 48Hz which is good enough for music. I never said not to use a subwoofer for movies either. You are twisting my words Mr. Ramsey. I have an excellent KLH subwoofer that I purchased at Costco just for that purpose.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
No. It is a rather small bedroom,12x14. I haven't taken any SPL measurments but I'm sure with my reciever at 3/4 volume and a high action DVD I'm probably near the 100dcBl mark or greater! A mains speaker with a low frequency extension,forget about the numbers but with a least a 10" woofer or two 8" woofers is a must for surround sound, A large center channel speaker with a least two 5" drivers or larger is also necessary for the most impact. I won't delve into accuracy or any other subjectivism, I am merely stating that the aformentioned dimensions are crucial for the most impact only. I've heard several sub sat combinations such a the Pinnacle and the Def Techs and they sound very good but for sheer impact and volume large drivers in the front and center channel speakers are the standard. E.Ramsey

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Sorry I forgot to take into account that you might have an acoustically treated room Maui. I cannot afford the nicety of that so I am limited to moving furniture and bookcases and rugs around to get the best possible cohesiveness between speaker and room interaction. E.Ramsey

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Mr. Ramsey, most, including yourself would agree that room acoustics is one of the key elements of a sound system. Yet you spend $0 on treating your room; explain the logic to me? Even $100 in room treatment would go a long ways towards improving sound quality. Monster cable on the other hand, which you own and yet so vehemently despise, appears to be worth more to you than this vital component of system performance.

Dont insult my intelligence Mr. Ramsey. Just because you choose to neglect acoustical treatment, which as a result means that you cannot appreciate a superior speaker such as the Europa, doesnt mean you have the right to say that phase and time coherence make no difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
IF you will read my post again Maui I DID in fact say time coherency is important in a speaker. I never said I despised Monster cable, I said that it was no better than zipcord which I normally would have bought otherwise. Acoustical room treatment is hardly free. Acoustical panels and bass catchers and the like are rather expensive. I never said I couldn't appreciate the Europa, In fact I am willing to audition it. Now who is twisting whose words! E.Ramsey

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Excellent. Give us a call any time then. The phone number is on our website, and make sure to say that mauimusicman referred you ( I get 30% commission for each speaker I sell ).

bumblebee
Unregistered guest
maui,

you should register.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
this from another unregistered soul... I suppose I probably should, but where would the fun be.

Anonymous

What a great load of nonsense. I asked for an opinion on Paradigm, PSB, Tannoy, and Triangle, and I get an ukelele player pitching a coherence lesson.

Funny, only a few of you could stay on the subject. My sincere thanks for doing so. No one has addressed the point of what speakers you may fancy for a "bright" room.

Finally, Maui, you rub everyone the wrong way. I have read so many of your posts pushing the darn Europa, and ignoring all other comments, that it is plenty clear that you have a hidden agenda. Please, shut up. Show up in threads where people ask about GMA. Otherwise we all know what you think. GMA should ask you to shut up because people, I included, would never even test the darn speakers simply because you so ardently endorse them.

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Anonymous - Regarding your bright room, no matter which speaker you choose, it will be adversely affected by the acoustics of your bright room. The most effective way to remedy your situation is to change your room acoustics, i.e., a couple of rugs, window treatments, acoustic panels, etc.

Anonymous

Jim, you are right. We have added window coverings which can be lowered and will cover the totallity of the windows, a large area rug, two sofas and two big chairs. One issue that can't be fixed is that the ceiling is very high (12' to 15').

A great dealer in SF recommended using "warmer" equipment (in addition to all else we did in terms of furnishing the room). His suggestion was Dali speakers coupled with an awesome Arcam AVR 300 (I love that receiver). I am simply looking for alternatives to the Dali.

Thanks for the help

Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 1
Of the brands mentioned, Triangle would make you the happiest for the longest. Someone made a comment about getting bass lower than 80 hz being impossible from a 5 or 6" driver. That person needs to learn more about audio. many small woofer speakers easily go below 80 hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Paul, I said most speakers with a 5 or 6" will not produce bass below 80Hz. Perhaps I should clarify what I really meant. Some small speakers(relatively few) with a single 6" woofer might respond to a signal as low as 60Hz but you should know that just because a small speaker will respond to this low frequency does not mean that this response will equate to "usable" bass as this response by most small speakers will often be "one note" and not musical. Many small sub/sat speaker systems are rated as low as 20Hz but speaker specs are mostly meaningless and this has been discussed a good bit already in this forum. Sure, a bookshelf speaker may be rated by a manufacturer as low as 50Hz but what they won't tell you is that this is 50Hz at -10 DcBl!, which is almost inaudible. This is why bookshelf or small speakers with a small woofer should always be used in conjunction with a subwoofer. The sub will serve as the workhorse in producing the low frequency extension that the small woofers are not capable of. The Bose Acousticmass system is a classic example of this. The Bose bass module has a 6" driver which is used as subwoofer. This is laughable as this speaker is incapable of usable bass below about 100Hz and has been tested several times proving this. Some tower speakers will incorporate several 5 or 6" woofers to compensate for this small a drivers inadequacy for low frequency extension. In this case several drivers increase the mass loading of the cabinent of the speaker and coupled with a reflective room might yield an overall greater low frequency extension at least when combined with room dynamics. I cannot stress enough how important room interaction is with the speaker placed in it. To produce very low frequency signals in a speaker,a least those that are musical and audible requires a tremendous amount of current. A 10" woofer has a much larger voice coil and magnet than a 6" woofer. Again what kind low frequency response would these small satellite speakers be capable of without being used in conjunction with a subwoofer? Very little, most probably would not dip below about 60-70Hz and even then the response would most likely be "one note" in character.Trying to get usable deep bass out of a single 6" woofer is like trying to serve a tennis ball with a ping pong paddle. Perhaps with this in mind Mr.Bayless this information hopefully will provide you a better understanding so that you can "learn more about audio" for more info see https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum//1130011.html E.Ramsey

Silver Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 161
I can pretty much tell this isn't the old Maui. Even though GMA does have a H/T package, I have never seen him recommend GMA for H/T set ups. He sticks to 2 channel recommendations. Plus he always denies getting a cut from GMA.

Post Number: 3
Anonymous, I would suggest you read the following link about speakers & design entitled
"Putting the science back into loudspeakers" and then do some critical listening armed with this knowledge.
http://www.celticaudio.co.uk/articles/science.pdf
I would agree with most everything in this article. Speakers most certianly have become the worst component in hi-end audio systems.
Also, I agree with mauimusicman on the gma speakers. Just read a rave review on one of gma's speakers( Calisto?) on six moons.com. Well worth an extended listen. Best of luck.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 585
I find the Paradigm Reference series to be neutral, musical and very good value for the money. The Triangles tend to be on the bright side so probably will not be a good choice if you're trying to avoid brightness. Also, I didn't find the Triangles as musically involving as the Paradigms. Others feel differently. The best way to decide is to listen for yourself.

I auditioned the Paradigms with a tube amp, which probably is not practical for an HT setup. Nevertheless, I would recommend a warmish amp such as a Marantz if you decide to get the 'digms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Two Cents, I appreciate your comments on the speakers. I'd like to point out that most dynamic speakers are very sensitive to the amplifiers that are driving them. I'm not going to go into the reasons why at this point, but suffice it to say you need to hear any dynamic speaker on the amplifier you will be using it with. There are very few exceptions to this rule, i'm afraid.
Cornelius, it sounds like you have been around the block a few times. You are on the right track.

Anonymous

Eric,

You should listen to the Mission M32 speaker. It is a bookshelf speaker with a 6" woofer, its 8 inches wide, 11 high and 10 deep. It does down to 52hz at -3db, and up to 20khz -3db.

Unregistered guest
A lot of Paradigm studio 20 lovers out here. I'm going to have to revisit nearly made up mind. I was looking at the Energy series. Anyone have any experience with the Energy Connoisseur series? specifically the C-3's. LINK... http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/types-results.php?type=Type+-%26gt%3B +Bookshelf
Would love to know how these stack up against the B&W CM2 or the Paradigm S.20's
thanks
JOHN

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
I'm not sure where the B&W CM2 sits in their lineup, but I did listen to their 603's while shopping around & went with the Paradigms, to my ear they sounded much better.

Username: Sethmckiness

Des Moines

Post Number: 6
I work part time at a shop that sells Paradigm and Tannoys, The Mini-monitors and Fusions 2s are a very close match, the biggest difference I would say about paradigm and Tannoy is this. Paradigm will make any music sound good. Tannoys I think sound a little better, but are not forgiving to poorly recorded albums. As far as the Studio 20s... the Studio 40s eat them alive.
For Paradigm, I would recomment the Mini, monitor 5 or studio 40. Also, Electronics will make or break the speakers too. My electronics on my 370$ Tannoys cost 2100$ new. Of course I didn't buy the electronics new, and didn't pay full price for the speakers.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 348
Well said Seth. Better electronics make good speakers sound better. A quality speaker will improve as your system evolves. BTW I have the Studio 40's and love 'em.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
X-sound,
Sorry, Tannoy's are not time/phase coherant.

Unregistered guest
Dear Paul,

All the Tannoy Loudspeakers with Dual Concentric Drivers are absolute time aligned and phase coherent. Absolute point source. Works like a one full range driver.

Hear Believe

Regards,

Jasdeep Brar

jasdeep@tannoyindia.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Which in theory is nice and gives them a unique look. But in practice I cannot hear a whit of difference. I auditioned a set side-by-side with some Paradigms & the Paradigms came home with me. To be fair the Tannoys sounded wonderful, but I preferreed the more laid-back sound of the Paradigms; I just didn't hear any big difference I could attribute to the concentric design of the drivers.

Username: Cousin_it

Post Number: 1
"All the Tannoy Loudspeakers with Dual Concentric Drivers are absolute time aligned and phase coherent."

They seem like they would be, but they're not.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
My favorite line on this whole forum is by far: "Eric, I took physics in high school, I think I am more than qualified to discuss time/phase questions." - Mauimusicman. High school physics definatly qualifies him to be more than qualified in time/phase questions. I took 3 different physics classes as an undergrad in college, and in no way am I qualified to answer time/phase questions.
The one thing that 2 Associate degrees, a Bachelor's degree, and a Master's degree have taught me is that there are no experts.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 515
Yeah, that line was pretty funny. Fake Maui is a pretty funny guy.
Nadman, you do know fake-Maui was kidding, right? Just checking.

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
I have no idea what the hell is going on. It just looked too good to pass up that I had to be called out. It it was an imposter...my bad...but they did a hell of a job...

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
sorry - typo's all over the place (i was laughing my balls off)
It looked too good to pass up, I had to call him out. If it was an imposter...sorry...but they did a hell of a job...I can't tell which is which...

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 516
The real mauimusic never registered, so a fake one did. He's much funnier!

I had to make sure if you knew or not. It's more fun to be in on the joke.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 518
Hmmm... Nadman, better register before it's too late!

(Funny post on the other thread BTW!)

NADMAN
Unregistered guest
You're probably right about registering...I love the white van speakers...you can never hear enough great stories about them...a redonkulious question gets a redonkulious answer

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
The PSB Stratus Mini is a fine loudspeaker, which can be had for around $500-$600 used in like new condition, or new for $700. These are very musical speakers, and would be good for a bright room since they have sub-dued highs ( but still very detailed, fast and coherant) and a dark midrange.

If you dont plan on using a sub, and wish to use speakers for both HT and music, then id suggest going up to the Stratus Silvers or Golds. I assume they would work much better for movies since they will provide much more bass.

Ive also heard VERY good things about Audio Note speakers, which would work since theyre designed to be placed closed to walls/corners. The AX-Two is $550 new and is suppose to kill anything close to its price range, but ive never heard it.

Whatever you choose, you are going to eventually want to set them up on stands, away from bookshelves. No matter what speaker you get theyre going to be extremely handicapped by placing them in bookshelves.

If you plan on keeping them in bookshelves for a long time, then maybe something like the PSB Image 2b/b25 will work.

Anonymous

Wow! Finally someone returns to the subject. Thanks for the advice Somed00d.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us