How do we know if a speaker is Magnetically Shielded?

Bronze Member
Username: Duckmanx

Post Number: 12
Hi there,

Practically bought a set of speakers (no name brand) and do not know if they are magnetically shielded or not. Is there any way I can tell other than my TV warping in a year?

I can always take the box apart, but what then?

Thanks,
DuckmanX

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 388
This question has been previously answered. Look in the owner's manual. If that is unrevealing, move speakers close to tv set and observe picture. If you see picture and/or color distortion, the speakers are not shielded and should be moved away from the set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Dale,

Thanks. In case they aren't how far away should they be moved away? I have a 36" sony thats kinda wide so there isnt too much room. Would 3-4 feet be ok? They are floor standing speakers.

Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 488
Jason

Front speakers arent typically shielded, but if they're sitting 3-4 feet away, you shouldnt have any problems. When you hear of magnetic problems with front speaker placement, people have them placed directly to the sides of the TV.

When the discussion of 'shielding' comes up, it normally relates to Center channel speakers because so many people place it directly on the TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Paul,

Thanks for the information, I had bought a demo model which they did not have a manual for it. Would you or anybody else know how far away a unshielded subwoofer should be from a CRT TV set? Lets say the sub is 100-150watts amplified if it matters.

Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3485

Far enough away that you see no distorion in the picture and then add three feet.

Username: Scotthall

BC Canada

Post Number: 3
Im in the same situation with my 3-peice set. I want to set up my center channel on top of my 27inch. If I placed the center speakre on top of tv and observe and there is no color distortion. Does thaat mean it is sheilded? or does the effect not show up till maybe a week, month or so later?

Arent most of the newer speakers all shielded? The speakers I have is SOUND ACCOUSTICS SC5.4BC and I paid 100 CAN bucks for them 3. Then today I saw 3 peice Quest for 50 bucks CAN which made me kind of mad. But from your adivce, do you think my speakers right now are better than Quests?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 45
Today, most center speakers are shielded. Most mains are not but some companies sell both shielded and unshielded mains; you pay extra for shielded -- naturally.

Sorry, Scott, I don't know anything about your particular speakers.

Username: Scotthall

BC Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks Jim another question is how do the company shield the speakers? Do they use a differnet type of metal or something?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Gonzales, Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 46
I'm certainly no expert but I believe that the manufacturer installs some type of magnet which, in effect, compensates for any stray magnetic energy which would affect your TV. Perhaps others more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong.

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 330
Yep, it's called a bucking magnet which is attached to the back of the magnet. Most center channels are shielded and most mains are not. Jimvm is right. Paradigm sells mains both shielded and not but you pay extra for shielded and can only get them in the black ash finish.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us