How good is the Dual 1214 turntable?

Username: Pyrensyth

Post Number: 4
My current turntable is a Dual 510 with all sorts of problems. I'll list them here.
1. The pitch control doesn't work. I have no idea why, looking at the assembly I can't see how it is supposed to work anyway. It looks like maybe it doesn't work because the pulley is just the wrong type altogether. This turntable was brought to australia from america so it has had the pulley and strobe switched at some point. I have actually managed to get it to turn at almost the right speed by putting tape around the inside of the platter (where the belt goes around). But basically when i first got it it wanted to go about 6% too fast i think.
2. The tone arm pulls to the outside edge as it is being lowered. This happens with any amount of antiskate - the more antiskate the more it does it...this should not happen right?
3. It's also missing the cue lever. This really pisses me off as i doubt it could ever be replaced.

Is it worth repairing it or would i be better off buying a Dual 1214 in "good working order" off ebay for $50(aus)?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3397

The 510 was a much better belt drive table and lower mass tone arm than the older rim drive 1214. I would get an estimate on the 510. Used Duals are not that difficult to find so you will probably see another table if the 510 is not worth fixing.

The tonearm drift is common if the drift is no more than a few grooves. Anything more than that and the antiskate needs repair.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us