NAD 762 vs. 763

Username: Scottpa

Post Number: 1
I have been looking at NAD receivers for the past month and am wondering what the major difference is between the T762 and T763? I have a chance to get a demo 762 for about 300 less than the new 763. Is it worth it to get the 763? Thoughts appreciated

Username: Lerxst

Post Number: 4
Hi Scott. Last October I bought the 762. Great sound , ample ins/outs etc. Problem though...it kept going into protect mode and a very long story follows. To make it short, I returned the 762 and traded up for the 763, which I've had since last December. I'm completely happy with this receiver and am glad that I wound up having problems with the 762 or I would not have gone with the 763.

There aren't major differences between the two. The 763 has more power in stereo (130 VS 120W X2), The 763 has an rs 232 port, a different power on/off scheme (the main power button is on the back, right above the rs232 port), -12 to +12 gain on analog inputs. Gone from the 763 that the 762 had is the clicking noise when adjusting volume, and so far at least, no protect mode when watching a hockey game!

I like the 763 much better and feel it is very much worth the extra $300 for the brand new 763.

The ONLY thing that i don't like is a slight, soft rattle from a cooling fan that is always present when it is on. I'm going to remove the cover and hava a look, it's probably "a screw loose" or something! Good luck with your decision!

Mike

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 129
Mike and Scott,

The T762 has an rs 232 port as well.

Post Number: 5
Oops! Yup, right you are Johnny! Now why didn't I notice that when I owned it? Hmm...probably too busy trying to keep the thing running! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 130
Mike,

Not a problem. To tell you the truth, I think that 95% of us will never use the thing. Other than firmware or other software upgrades, I really don't know what it is used for.

Tell me more about the power switch of the 763. So the "little green button" is now on the back? I guess I am lucky I don't have a 763 since I have my unit in a cabinet and with the weight of the thing coupled with everything connected to the back of it, it would be a pain to pull it out of the cabinet every time you needed to use the power button (admitedly, I have only used the power button once...with the remote, you don't really ever need to use the button).

Post Number: 6
Hi Johnny. No. The main power switch is on the back but the daily use, on/standby button is on the front.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 273
Mike,

The fan is easy to inspect. All you need is a medium cross-point screwdriver.

If you have not yet opened up the receiver, I recommend it, just to see what you bought. Take out the bolts at the side of the main case, and then the smaller ones around the back where the case overlaps the edge of the back panel. Lift the case upwards and backwards so it slides out of its slot at the top of the front panel. You can flex the sides of the case outwards quite a bit and they will spring back with no damage, it is mild steel, I think.

You will see where the fan is bolted onto the back panel. You can see whether one or more of the mounting bolts is loose. It can be a fiddle reaching the bolt heads with the screwdriver. If it is the fan itself making the rattle, you can probably replace it easily and cheaply with one purchased from an electrical component supplier.

BTW admire the construction and build quality "under the hood".

Make sure the unit is disconnected from the mains, and the capacitors have had some minutes to discharge. The big one on the power supply board (just in front of the fan: it has a big, toroidal transformer) could probably knock you across the room.

Username: Larsaas

Post Number: 3
John, you can see what you've bought on the outside - it's right there on the front panel ;)

But seriously, can't opening it up void the warranty? There are warnings like that on other electronic equipment (haven't checked my receiver), so are you sure it's safe, warranty-wise? This issue could maybe be different from nation to nation as well?

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 283
Lars,

Yes, opening it up could void the warranty. Thank you. Read the small print. But on my out-of-warranty T760 there is no seal to break or anything to tell whether it has been opened or not. I am not a lawyer!

I have checked my manual:-

"CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK,
DO NOT REMOVE COVER (OR BACK). NO USER
SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE. REFER SERVICING TO
QUALIFIED SERVICE PERSONNEL".

"DO NOT ATTEMPT SERVICING OF THIS UNIT YOURSELF.
REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED SERVICE
PERSONNEL.
Upon completion of any servicing or repairs, request the service shop's assurance
that only Factory Authorized Replacement Parts with the same characteristics
as the original parts have been used, and that the routine safety checks
have been performed to guarantee that the equipment is in safe operating condition.
REPLACEMENT WITH UNAUTHORIZED PARTS MAY RESULT IN FIRE,
ELECTRIC SHOCK OR OTHER HAZARDS".

I pass this on!

If you use the right-sized screwdriver and a little care, you will not scratch the case or damage the screw heads. When you put it back together it will be as good as new. You do not have to be a qualified electronics engineer to look inside. Some components e.g. fuses are easily replaced and you can see for yourself if they have blown.

But I am a sort of techno-libertarian. "No user-serviceable parts inside" is always untrue, and just the manufacturer's way of protecting its service agents, and itself from litigation by owners who electrocute themselves.

"Open at you own risk" should be good, enough, surely...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us