HSU STF-2

Username: Jasonhall

Post Number: 4
So is the consensus of this board that if I only want to spend around $400 on a sub for both music and HT - the one of choice is the HSU STF-2?

Post Number: 7
I listened a bit to the STF-2 today at CompUSA - it sounded pretty good considering it was on a shelf in the middle of the store. I do not know if it was because it was a floor model, or the stand it was on, but they had the volume way up on the STF-2 and I heard a bit of rattling when the bass hit. Does anyone else have this or was it most likely the stand?

I also went to the store I purchased my 7400 receiver from to check their stock out. They couldn't comment on Hsu as they do not sell it. They pushed me towards the $699 15" Definitive Technology sub (I believe the PF15TL+). Any thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_s

Post Number: 33
For $699 I'd buy a Hsu VTF-3 (I just did, actually!). They have been compared favorably to subwoofers costing over $1000. If nothing else, you avoid the store's mark-up by buying direct from Hsu. And shipping is free for now. Joe

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 75
How big is your listening room? Do you like to listen to your music/movies loud? Do you want to spend more than $400 on a sub?

Both the STF-3 and VTF-3 MK2 priced at $599 and $699 have deeper extension, more powerful BASH amp than the STF-2 and are a great bargain.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
If you go to the HSU website and read through their forum, you'll find that the earlier batch of subs that CompUSA sells had a problem with air escaping around the driver, so I'd buy direct for either the STF-2 or one of the higher priced models. Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Currently I am in a small bedroom. So, this is more for the future. I am probably buying a townhouse this summer so it would go in there somewhere.

As of yet, I haven't decided if I want to spend more than $400 on a sub.

Alot of people seem to like the VTF-3 MK2. But I have also heard that many don't use both modes, they leave it on "music" or the lower extension mode instead of the "movie" or louder mode. Would this make the VTF-3 almost the same as the STF-3?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
If one wants the flexibility of Variable tuning, which is the ability to play low or loud, and you are willing to pay $50-100 more, the VTF series is worth consideration. Hsu Research often offers free shipping on backordered items. As of this writing the STF-3's are in stock, so the delivered price is $599 + $50 = $649.

FYI, the STF-3's shipping now are factory set for Maximum output at 25MHz, not Max. extension. The VTF-3MK2's can play at either setting.

Re: Jason asked are two products "almost the same"? That depends.

Desc/ModelSTF-3VTF-3MK2
Price $599 $699 or $799
TuningSingleVariable
FinishMattMatt or High Gloss Piano Black
Bass Extension25 Mhz20 Mhz
FeetRubberBrass
Front BadgeHsuHsu-Blue
Shipping Wt.7882

To learn more, just check out the Hsu comparison chart, the differences between their products, then decide whether you're more interested in Max. Extension, Max. Output or both. Even you've tried their product and for some reason, you discover the product doesn't meet your needs, you still have peace of mind knowing items purchased from Hsu Research factory direct include a 30 day return privilege.

IMO, if you have a smaller room and a $400 budget, the STF-2 is an excellent choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Heff,

Thank you for all the information so far. Let's say for the moment that I decide that $699 is a little more than I want to spend at this point in time. The STF-2 can be had for $400 with free shipping and the VTF-2 can be had for $450 with free shipping. For a nominal $50, would you recommend the VTF-2?

I was a bit surprised on the comparison that the STF-2 is 200 watts while the VTF-2 is 150. Will that make any sort of noticeable difference for a 15X12 bedroom or a living room in a townhouse (which I hope to have this summer)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
The STF-2 is already tuned for Max extension at 25 MHz and is an excellent choice for $400!

Upgrade to a VTF-2 only if you want Variable tuning. I don't think you'll notice a difference until you're pushing the limits of your equipment. 15 x 12 is not a big listening room, but a living room with open areas might do better with a STF-3. Also, subwoofer placement can make a difference so experiment until you get the bass you want.

If you like to listen to music at live concert levels, or if you want a bigger, deeper boom, you may be better off saving up for the STF-3 or VTF-3MK2's. OTOH, a townhouse means you might have a neighbor or two connected to your house, and do you really want their houses to shake whenever you're watching battle scenes from LOTR? he he.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hmmm, so much to think about!!! I am definitely down for the bigger, deeper boom, but like you said - shaking the house next door is not the best way to meet the new neighbors! On the other hand, subs don't necessarily go out of date - so buying up to the VTF-3MK2s would probably last me for a very long time. Thanks for all the help Heff - guess its time for me to think!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 264
If you ever move to a bigger location getting another HSU subwoofer is often a great idea and many swear by 2 subwoofers. It lessens subwoofer location problems and it removes any sense of where the subwoofer is generating sound.

Another great choice would be the new Outlaw Audio LFM-1 subwoofer at $579. Dr. Hsu built them with Outlaw Audio engineers and designers. It is a great deal at $579, but a truly wonderful deal at 2 for $999. If you don't want a second subwoofer, you get to find a friend that needs or wants a great subwoofer and you both save a lot of money.

Either way, getting the STF-2, the VTF-2, or other Hsu or the Outlaw Audio subwoofers---you won't go wrong. They are all great at their price points.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
So I filled out the product recommendation form on HSU Research's website and amazingly Dr. Hsu himself wrote back!!! He said for me, he would recommend the STF-3. As Heff mentioned before, the STF-3 is $600 + $50 shipping, totalling $650. The VTF-3 MK2 is $700 with free shipping (free for the back ordered matt-black finish).

My question is this - considering (from what I have read) 99% of music / HT does not have bass that goes below 25 Hz - is it worth the additional $50 to purchase up to the VTF-3 MK2?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
It was to me, as the single port would be better for music, the two ports for home theater effects. Or vice versa? Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Dr. Hsu wrote back again and basically said that if only $50 difference, go with the VTF-3 MK2 - It should work for whatever room I end up setting it up in the future.

For any who are wondering, he said the next shipment of the matt-black finishes should be in the first week of April.

Now I just have to convince myself to open up my walet! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 400
Joe:

I think you have it backwards. The Hsu VTF line has two ports and if you want to roll of the sound at 35Hz to get the most volume, you leave both ports unplugged. But, if you want the lowest extension, you flick the switch to roll the sub off at 25 Hz and you plug one port. So, one port is plugged for HT effects.

I hope this answers your question.

John Jones
Unregistered guest
Small correction: with the VTF-3, response stays very even until 20Hz with both ports open, and goes down to 16Hz with one port plugged. With the VTF-2, response stays very even until 25Hz with one port plugged, and 32Hz with both ports open.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
"For any who are wondering, he said the next shipment of the matte-black finishes should be in the first week of April. "

YEAY!!

Thanks for the correction, Hawk, I couldn't remember which was which.

Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Joe - so are you waiting for a VTF3-MK2?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Yes, I was originally going to get a STF-3, but with the free shipping it was worth $50 to get the variable tuning. It's funny, when I listen to music or watch movies now, I can't help thinking "this will sound so much better when the subwoofer arrives". LOL Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well, Just ordered the VTF-3MK2. Like you said Joe - $50 was just to little a difference not to go that route. This will be way more than I need right now, but hopefully it will fit well in wherever I move in the near future... Thanks for all the advice!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Jason, I just got an e-mail from FedEx saying my subwoofer is being shipped, and it will arrive on April 1st. :D Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Joe,

Nothing for me yet. I saw the posts that the subs are in on the Hsu forums, but I'm still waiting for my email. Hopefully I'm not in the group that has to wait another 3-4 weeks...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Joe,

Woe is me - I apparently just missed the cutoff date and my sub won't be until the next shipment sometime in the middle of April. Guess I won't be getting it before my business trip like I hoped.

How is your new VTF3?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Joe,

Scratch that - Hsu Research sent me another email today saying they just got a shipment and I should have it in 4-7 business days! Don't know what changed but I won't complain!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us