Archive through March 26, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 790
To all: I think we should all raise our glasses in a toast to Admin for making certain unwanted elements of our beloved forum "disappear." We thank you, sir!

Let us hope that similar situations do not quickly arise!

To the music. . .

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 195
Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Found this nice pic on audiogon:

Upload

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 791
SM - "gulp." I think that person has a tad more money than I do! Would love to hear it! Interesting, that the little black remote control on the table is very akin to my doc-friend's in his "big" media room. Only his is built into a walnut base that sits between two big chairs.

Sigh - I just have to remember that the first step towards unhappiness is desire. . .

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

ON

Post Number: 252
"Gulp" here, too. Burned a hole in my pocket after our home reno and the piano purchase :-)

SM, I read your e-mail. Mucho thanks. Will reply later re: additional Jobim info. I have to run some errands.

Meanwhile, just for the heck of it, I came up with an unofficial Old Dogs Website

The "review and reference" links I've included are arbitrary and are there merely to add content.

Go to
http://free.hostultra.com/~old_dogs

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 253
Re: Old Dogs Website

Warning Since this is a free web hosting, you might see an annoying pop-up window prompting you to install a plug-in. DON'T. Click cancel or no a couple of times.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 254
If you find the pop-up window annoying, try this other free host:

http://www.geocities.com/old_dawgs

Then click on the Geocities right arrow to close the ad square.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 796
FOR GOD'S SAKE - DON'T OPEN DON'S LINK! At least not if you have an auto pop-up stopper. I just opened the main link, and all sorts of things began to happen automatically.

Froze the computer - destroyed my home page - tried to dial a po-rno site.

I ran Ad-Aware and got 273 trojan horses, etc. Finally got them all deleted, and things sorta back to normal.

Don - thanks! You sure made my day!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 257
I'm very sorry, Larry. I've removed everything. Disregard those links.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2890
Thanks for trying, Don.

Look what has happened to "Ads from Goooogle"...

This is a triumph. We have eluded automated contextual analysis, and are now free to discuss real issues; Big Brother will not understand.

Ghia,

Nice pic. Fancy spending all that money and then sitting so far away, with a small listening angle. Also using a Del laptop or whatever it is! No wonder the people in the mirror are walking away.

Larry. 273. That must a whole Pandora's box-full of Trojan horses.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2891
The ads have changed back to vaguely relevant. They were about dog biscuits, canine ailments and such last time I looked.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 937
Don,

Nice to hear from you, and glad to have you back on "Old Dogs". Hope all is well.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 797
Wellllll, gang - I've now removed 328 items of various evil intent. Sigh. I've run Ad-Aware six times, and each time it gets down one more layer. At least I've got my computer back up to relatively good speed - was very, very scared about that! I'm not a wizzard with all this stuff, and thus don't understand all the nuances of web-problems. Double sigh.

I'm still "cleaning," but I hope nobody else went into those links. For some very strange reason, the anti-popup features I have caused the link to go crazy. I'll never know - but I HOPE I've got rid of most of the problems.

Amazing, that, when I re-opened all the files, I found a small program trying desperately to call a po-rn site on the Continent. As I don't have a dialer system on my e-mail, it couldn't make a connection, and was having high blood pressure just trying!

This computer stuff still scares me a bit - I'm just of an age when I remember all too well such thangs as slide rules and 8-track tapes!!

OK - I'll be running the Ad-Aware stuff again thru the evening - each time I run it I get another 2 or 3 "baddies." Sigh.

Meanwhile, I've got a nice book and some nice CDs, and some nice red wine - - the evening looks promising - considering the alternative!!!

Luv to y'all from Swampville. . .

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1574
Don,

Shame about the website. I had a look, closed the box and pop-ups and suffered no problems. I think - I did only have a brief look.

John,

The photo from Audiogon - I think the lens extends the room a little. I'm interested in knowing what those white, tall, rectangular boxes are behind those B&W $800,000,000 + series speakers are - any ideas - anyone?

I had a lazy weekend, bought a couple of new (old) God SACDS - "461 Ocean Boulevard" a 2004 mix of the 1974 recording, and "Slowhand" which I took back yeterday and excahnged for "Layla - Derek and the Dominos" recorded 1970, SACD mix 2004. I recall why I never bought 'Slowhand" three good tracks and the rest very, very average, IMHO! The thing that strikes me with these recordings is that with a few exceptions, the great songs are the ones not written by God! [grin}

I will give a report on the "Rate your Hi-res discs" after another couple more listens - but sound and mix were very good on both recordings and most tracks very enjoyable. God is up there with the best when it come to the blues!

Larry,

Hope you get your computer sorted.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

From what I am seeing on Tube Talk, someone is using my name to post messages. There is little doubt as to who the culprit is. There is going to be a problem here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1575
" There is little doubt as to who the culprit is."

Jan,

Can you give a clue?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Should I not first suspect the people who have been harrassing the forum for the past week?

Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dalas, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1

Should I not first suspect the infants who have been harrassing the forum for the past week?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1576
Yes okay, as I suspected also - but, I would think the real J Vigne could spell Dallas!

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 2

An error made in my more youthful days back in 2004. It has been corrected.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1577
To verify your persona please answer these questions:

1. What country did John A recently move from?

2. Which old dog used an alias named after an automobile?

3. What was the automobile?

4. What turntable does John A possess?

5. Can you send me a private message stating your email address which I can cross reference with the one I have on record?

Thanks Jan??????

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 3

I see this membership stuff has its advantages when posting messages.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 801
The heck with "thanks." Welcome home, Jan. Sigh it has been a day!

So far, I've cleaned out 384 various kinds of auto-dialers, malware, trojan horses and their horse-sheet. Never had an attack like this before, and I hope never again!

Not blaming Don - so don't anybody get upset, please. Things just "happen." Mostly to me. . .

I've now run Ad-Aware 7 times, and am down to two or three "baddies" per run. Hoping for 0 soon.

Let's hope for peace, quiet and civility. . .

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 4

Rantz - I cannot send a message at the moment. The forum informs me I have sent my allotted ten messages for today. They were sent to a lost soul with too much time on his hands. I will send you a message as soon as possible to prove I am now who I claim to be.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 938
Not quite so sure the registered Jan Vigne is the real deal..........

If you are who you say, please post on the forum, the 2 makes and models of speakers you have.

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 5

Spica Angelus and Rogers LS3/5a's. Do the name The Nun mean anything to you, Kingfish? How about E.A.P, Ranger and Moriarty?

"

Ranger
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:07 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HiYO, Silver, Awa .............. Where'd everybody go?

Ranger
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:22 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, are you coming or not? You look fine. Yes, you do!

Folks, I really have to apologize here for us being late. Tonto was pounding a crease into his buckskins and ...

What?

Well, I'm certainly not going to take the blame for ...

What am I supposed to tell them?

Oh, ferChrissake!

Uh, ...................................we'll get back with you.

E. A. P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:25 am:

That was very depressing, Livingston.

Is there another bottle?

Nevermore.

E. A. P.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:32 am:

Livingston?

I believe that damn bird has crapped on my head.

Livingston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 02:01 am:

Uh! Oh, I was dreaming about a darn white horse.

By crikey Edgar, I do believe I'm a bit under the weather. If that damn nun came in here now she'd have me by the . . .

Good grief, old man, what's that stuff on your head?

I am not The Nun. Her identity remains a mystery to me and I do wish she will stay away for a good long time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1578
Rick,

He's not the real deal - apart from not answering the questions, read the excuse. I'm getting real sick of this crap happening on this forum. The ankle-biters filled up email boxes, filled the threads with crap, and now this.

And the real J Vigne never did register in 2004 or any other time.!

Where's Eric when we need him?

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2313
I can find out if it's Jan!

I have his phone# and email address.
So just give me a bit and I'll let you know!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 803
Kegger: hurry up! I'm getting old! (grin)

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 6

"1. What country did John A recently move from?"

John moved from Sweden, driving across country in a car, with his family, which he then returned by himself. He stayed in a chalet and then came back to London (the center of the universe) for his new job. He loves London nearly as much as his new/old refurbished Quad ESL-63's which I suggested he purchase instead of buying new Quads. A bit of @narchy since the current owners of Quad are foreign conglomerates. He had propped his old KEF Correlli's (with replacement tweeter) on waste paper bins before his purchase of the Quads. He waivers on surround until he listens to "Spem Alium" (sp. ?) which he considers, with its surrounding vocalists, the singular proof, and raison d'etre, for the superiority of surround sound formats. He recently discovered the 5.1 external inputs sound better than the CD/DVD inputs on his NAD receiver. He does not own a SACD player as he is convinced, against all rational thought process, DVD-A will prevail as the preeminent format. He is still a bit peeved you considered me more arrogant than him. His thought process on soundwaves is still flawed though he observed ripples in a pond responding as I suggested they would. John began this thread after my post on an NAD thread.

"2. Which old dog used an alias named after an automobile?"
... and ...
"3. What was the automobile?"

SM used to post under the sobriquet "Ghia Cabriolet" as a matter of reverence to her restored (?) VW convertible which I believe is red if I can remember the photo she posted. She first came to the group when she initiated the "plunging into multichannel" (or something similar) thread to ask for advice in buying her surround system which has now been abandoned in favor of the much superior Mac 6200, STEREO ONLY, integrated amplifier. This is her second 6200 (I have her first to go with my Mac tube amps [6L6GC's]) since the first unit was damaged by the UPS shipper and the idiot that shipped a forty pound amplifier in the box for the walnut cabinet with no insurance. She has several cats, my old Dual turntable with a Talisman MC Boron cartridge, but, alas, no BF at the moment (unless she has been holding out on us). She does, however, have new tires. She lives in N. Carolina. She is, along with John Edwards, a decidely red state soul living in a blue state world which I thoroughly understand.
Kegger has my old Dyna ST70's and PAS 3x's. Rick bought his Mac 5100 used after I had discussed McIntosh equipment and his Jolida tubes after Kegger and I had discussed tube amplification. Larry sent me some CD treatment. And Rantz still holds on dearly to the idea that surround is good (no wonder Charlize Theron left you).

"4. What turntable does John A possess?"

John holds dear to his Rega Planar 3. It is an original Rega design with the "S" shaped tonearm from Japan. He uses an Ortofon cartridge (a VMS 20?). He has wrapped some Teflon tape around the subplatter to compensate for the Rega's inherent 1% deviation from accurate speed (it runs fast). He says he will replace the motor and the tonearm after he buys a tube amplifier. We'll see. Someday he'll buy the Shostakovich Quartets on LP and finally hear what they sound like. He is far more to the center of the Political Compass than I am since I exist just barely on the right side of @narchist.

"5. Can you send me a private message stating your email address which I can cross reference with the one I have on record?"

Like I said, not at the moment.

I did register last year in a fit of "just wanting to belong" to something so doggone good and wholesome; just like the rest of you guys. The forum had a problem with my registration and I could never log on and finally went from posting as Jan Vigne to J. Vigne just to get my vital information out to the hearts and souls of my waiting comrades. It was just as well the forum had problems because, as they say, I never really wanted to belong to a group that would have me as a member. The forum finally cleared up the confusion with my registration, but I preferred to post as unregistered until my honor became challenged.

Sorry this reply took so long. I had to stop to watch "Boston Legal" at 9:00PM. It is the only show on TV I refuse to miss.

Silver Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 130
:::
He's not the real deal - apart from not answering the questions, read the excuse. I'm getting real sick of this crap happening on this forum. The ankle-biters filled up email boxes, filled the threads with crap, and now this.
:::

Infants, indeed.

To adapt a quote from a dubious sci-fi/action movie:

"Some wankers always try to ice skate uphill..."

I see the forum admins are have started to react by deleting a few pointless threads. Hopefully, account bans will follow.

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 7

"She lives in N. Carolina. She is, along with John Edwards, a decidely red state soul living in a blue state world which I thoroughly understand."

Good E.C., what have I said?! Please do reverse that color scheme before she attacks me.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2314
By golly I do believe it is the one and only Jan!

And He's registered! WoW!

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 9

When do the badge and the hat arrive in the mail? I understand I have to wear them while I'm on the forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1579
Okay, god is currently playing "Ain't That Loving You" in the background as I type this - what album is . . . kidding.

All right everything you say (including your speaker answer) points to the fact that the registered Jan Vigne is you, the previous J. Vigne - unless you're a fast study!

And I know you're not the nun.

If your not Jan - you deserve to be [grin]

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 10

It's been a long day and the tomato plants still are not in the ground. This is the new registered me signing off for the night.

And a big goodnight in Jesus' name!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 11

"If your not Jan - you deserve to be [grin]"

Everyone should be so lucky.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1580
Double confirmation - received with thanks Kegger/Jan, everything gels.

Jan,

Congrats - you get the red badge of Courage, ease it gently from the bottle with warm water, stick it on your chest, then drink the contents and start the process again. Sorry no hat and no need to send message.

Hey everyone - Jan is Jan. But who is this Rick fella?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2892
It is this guy posting under the name "My Rantz" who worries me...

" I will send you a message as soon as possible to prove I am now who I claim to be." Only the real J.V. could have written that.

On "Tube talk": "Yes, now those rascals are gone! Back to amps!" The real J.V. would never have written that.

I am concerned that so much is known about John A, and understood. The two major errors are that he drove back with his son, and he is totally apolitical. Also, he is very proud of being less arrogant than the insufferable Vigne. Oh yes, for the record, the cartridge is an Ortofon VMS 30 Mk III. Wish I had that, and the rest of my stuff, back. Project for after Easter.

The tall boxes could be room tweakers; there is another name for these. "Room tuners" or similar.

What are the hifi components? Rotel?

Most important: what is the turntable? Linn Sondek LP12?

What was for sale on Audiogon?

The black boxes above the book case also have me puzzled.

These pics of systems in rooms with no people are getting slightly surreal. Like the room near the end of "2001". Surely no-one really lives in that "Audiogon" room.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 939
Yeah, it's him. A stinkin' member. What next? Ok, I have a little more than three years to talk some political sense into him. He might clean up nice now that he's a card holden bonafide member. I can only hope...........LOL!

LOVE YA JAN!

I would keep an eye on this Rantz guy's posts. I have my doubts...............

PS- We should have just kept interrogating him until he reached 5000 posts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2893
Just joking, MR. I knew it was you.

I predict J.V. will become a "silver member" in about a week, and a "gold member" before May is out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1581
Does anyone get the feeling the NUN has been lurking nearby?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1582
John A

"Just joking, MR. I knew it was you."

Well, that makes me feel a little better, I wasn't so sure actually! But, perhaps you could you send Mrs R some proof?

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 13

No hat?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 940
We don't need no stinking hats, or badges.

although a beenie type thing could be cool. No? I was always more of a beret man myself. Let's work on it. Maybe we could come up with a secret handshake and codeword too.....................

Gold Member

Post Number: 2894
MR,

Please forward this to Mrs Rantz: "It is none but he".

That room has me mesmerised. The hi-fi components are in the middle of the two speakers. Not good, expecially for a turntable. The rack is hiding an interesting-looking Adam-style fireplace. Light the fire for a warm sound? The plant pots are are arranged symmetrically but are two different sizes, and look suspiciously like plastic. The LPs are on the FLOOR! The room seems made for a B&O system, to me.

Some people have no taste. I'd rather listen in Kegger's den, Fig Netwons, soldering iron, beer cans, spare tubes an' all.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 805
Can ANYBODY imagine John A. eating Fig Newtons?!? Nope - they'd just be "props" in his listening room!

JV - the "real" one - good to have you tied down with hats, code words and the rest. Maybe now the forum can get back to plain old good communicating?

And have a (ugh) Nice Day! (grin)

Silver Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 133
Jan Vigne,

Since I missed the developments here in this thread, I would like to apologize for my crude behavior and post in the "Shanling s-100 upgrade over NAD?" thread.

I signed up for this forum because of the relatively high signal to noise ratio vs. some of the other forums and was rather upset to see threads get hi-jacked.

And to hear of a possible username hijacking was simply too much to bear.

Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1584
John

Yes, I think the room has been posed. How does one get to the items on the shelving. And I believe you are right about the acoustic treatments: see wall panels also.

And there ain't nuffin wrong with plastic plants. We don't have one living plant in the house - a lesson learnt after a coctail party years ago: those who didn't like their mix surrepticiously poured them into the pots resulting in plants that got so darn pi$$ed they never recovered. I know the feeling actually!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 941
I'm with you John. I would rather be at Keggers.

Would you please pass a cold beer and a Fig Newton ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1585
Hang on Rick - the sun isn't over the yardarm over there yet LOL!

Remember - one day at a time . . .

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 15

"Would you please pass a cold beer and a Fig Newton ?"

And a NOS 12AX7?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2315
If your actually looking for any nos 12ax7's I may have something your looking for.
If you've got something specific in mind!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 942
Jan,

A cold beer, FN, NOS 12AX7, and a terry sock. What else does an old dog need my friend? Life is very good! LOL!

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 16

I'd like a hat.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1588
_[]_

All right then. Try this on.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 228
This thread got hijacked close to 2 years ago...I guess it is the joy of open forums.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 943
Alright, already, I'll send you a hat. What kind of hat would you like? Wait a minute. I thought you had a white hat and a black mask. A white horse too! No, that wasn't you. I would have sworn he wore THAT hat................Hmmmmmmmm

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 17

"_[]_

All right then. Try this on."

My head's way bigger than that.

"I thought you had a white hat and a black mask. A white horse too!"

Well, see, there was this incident that involved the horse - and somehow the hat got involved too - and, well, see, I don't really have that hat anymore.

I'd kinda appreciate a new hat.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1589
J.V.

LOOK! THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING BALD!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 946
OK, you've got one hat coming, my treat.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 18

Thanks. Wearing this aluminum cone was getting old. Now I'll have some place to stick my gum again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1592
And to think Chris Rea sings: "Texas - that's the place to be."

What was he thinking?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 949
I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of the aluminum cone. It works well to jam alien transmissions.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 19

Don't worry, I'll still sleep with it on.

Can't trust them aliens. I heard that on Lou Dobbs.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 951
Lou should know............LOL!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 807
Tunes are back! Yep, the Yammie (new) arrived late today, and got all plugged-in and played. Mer and I swear it sounds better than the last one. The drive mechanism is nearly silent, instead of grinding away - and the sound, so far, seems clear and steady. This unit was made in December - the first one last June. Must be a different production run?

Anyway, so far it pleases us - and it is SO nice to have CD/DVD capability again! Never know what you miss 'til it's gone. . .

Not too much else to say - we're going through a short stack of new SACDs and CDs - some classical, some jazz - and enjoying the moments!

Will post more reactions as we review individual discs - on "Discoveries."

I managed to drop a broad hint today to Mer that we sorta could use maybe some better surround speakers. Her look said it all: "sometime later." Okey dokey! Got it. Message received. Yep. (grin)

I've about decided on PSB Alpha B speakers - they get all sorts of good reviews, and the price is cerainly right - $250 a pair. The cabinets are even "funky-cut" like the B&W 705s. No blue lights on them - but you can't have it all! (grin)

More anon . . .

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 435
Larry,
Great to hear you have a Yammie back. Hopefully this one will be trouble free.

RE: PSB Alpha B's - Are you buying them locally or online? I have the PSB 1B's I'm using as surrounds. I bought them from http://saturdayaudio.com/ - This dealer gets plenty of good press around these boards. Also, if you're interested they are still selling last years's models, the Image 1B in a cherry finish, for $199. I believe the Image line is a step up from the Alpha line. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Might be worth an email to the owner, Andy Zimmerman ( Andy@saturdayaudio.com ) to also request a price on the Alpha B's as well. His prices are usually very competitive. Best of luck!!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 808
Sem: Thanks very much for the info and links. Yeah, I remember the company - from my "old" days in Chicago. Sigh - still miss The Windy. . .

I e-mailed - and hope to hear back soon. No rush, as this upgrade must be "sold" to the, uh, "boss" of the household. She's been very supportive so far - but not sure about new surrounds.

If the truth must be told, she likes to listen to music in stereo - and watch movies in surround. Maybe - just maybe - I agree! (grin)

And Sem, you are right - the Image is one step up from Alphas. Although the tweeter's the same.

Everywhere I research, the PSBs come out with glowing reports.

Well, I got sucked into another CD-cleaner test. Friends sent me two more products - and one of them puts a wonderful final shine on the CDs - but the other one - supposed to really clean and "de-scratch" the discs - doesn't work very well at all. Sigh.

I even tried Mapleshade Mikro-smooth - but was disappointed in the final effect. Plus, using their own applicator put even more tiny scratches on the test-discs. Kleenex "Viva" paper towels are the best, or a foam makeup sponge available at any drug store.

So far - my tweak-testing has resulted in the following results:

Walker's "Vivid" - very high marks - good, but very expensive. Best overall product I've tested.

Zaino Z-14 "Plastic magic" cleaner - high marks, but I suspect it puts some very tiny scratches on the discs unless very carefully used. Moderate cost - only on Internet.

Zaino Z-6 "gloss enhancer." Spray on and puts a high shine on discs. Inexpensive and seems to be a good "final step." Internet only.

Mikro-smooth - does a fair job, but does not remove any but tiny scratches. Do not use their own applicator, if possible to avoid.

Connoisseurs Ultrasoft Jewelry Polishing Cloth: Really! Yep - this is a product that will help remove CD scratches. Get them in the jewelry department at Wal-Mart. Inexpensive, and if used carefully, will take out small scratches. Get the cloth for GOLD, not silver.

Note: the Mikro-smooth and jewelry cloth polishing should be followed by application of a surface treatment - either Vivid or Z-14 - and then Z-6 if you like.

The whole idea is to get a smoother surface - and we have noticed rather remarkable differences in treated vs. untreated discs.

Voodoo? Yep. Probably so. But good Voodoo! Makes the music sound warmer, more natural. IMHO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Larry,

Very glad to hear the Yammy is back and sounding good!

My gear arrived today. In the process of unpacking and setting up. There was quite a shock when opening the speaker box. Will post pics soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
The speakers were mismatched. Pics coming soon.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 811
Update on my CD-tweaking: new information - and trial on my part - regarding the Z-14 "glop." There was new testing, which showed the company that letting the Z-14 dry COMPLETELY was the only way it worked 100% effectively. Otherwise, there was a polymer-smear, and it didn't work very well.

Sooo - I've now done a dozen CDs by letting Z-14 dry completely, then buffing lightly. Night-and-day differences. Clearer, warmer sound, and all the things critics love to shove up my subwoofer. Hmm. . so - if any of you tries Z-14 - and I highly recommend it - LET IT DRY after you put it on. You'll be happy you did. And at about 8.50 a bottle, not too expensive - compared with Walker Vivid at about $70 USD for the same amount.
And no, guyz-n-gal, I'm not getting any under-the-table-stuff from Zaino.

I'm taking this CD-tweaking very seriously - but I understand those who say it's snake oil. OK. As long as you try before you blast, I'll deal with it.

BTW - tried Z-6 on some SACDs that say: "do not use any liquid cleaner" - and whadda you know, it doesn't mess up the sound - but sure does make the CD surface smoother. I think anything that makes the CD surface flatter and more optically perfect(?) helps. OK - fire away. . .

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 812
SM - MIS-MATCHED? Yah mean, like one brown shoe and one black shoe? Sounds horrible! Let us all know what happened! Should we put on black arm-bands? Sigh. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
I can't figure out if the one on the left is 4ohms or 8ohms

Upload

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 814
SM - just pop the top and ship. Mer says cat food is nearby. Awwwwwwwww - ain't duh fuzzy cute? Yep, fer shore. But where the heck is the brown speaker? (grin)

Come on - tell all. . . .

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 959
SM,

Looks like a 9 lives model to me. I bet she purrs real nice and sweet!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1595
DOGS - HAVE A GOOD LAUGH!

http://www.thenerdgroup.com/funnyvoicemail.wav

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 820
My Rantz: (hahahahahaha) Well, sir, you certainly know how to start an ole scribe's day! One of the funniest things I've heard in a long, long time! You're obviously (hahaha)a very sick individual in desperate need of treat(hahahaha)ment to post(hahahaha) such a thing(hahahaha) as that!

Thank(hahaha) you sir!

More when I stop crying from laughing so hard. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 1596
"I can't figure out if the one on the left is 4ohms or 8ohms "

SM - Connect the black rear lead to the negative terminal, the reddish front one to the postive, switch on and let 'er rip. If it starts smoking/sparking it's neither 4 nor 8 ohms (LOL!)

Larry,

A friend emailed me that recording and I had the best laugh I've had in ages. Sick - well, I've been told that before. LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
JohnA,

Continuing this from the Tube Talk thread. The Onix combo deal arrived yesterday. When I first ordered it (a moment of haste and weakness) the plan was to possibly use it as an office system. After the first night of listening, it looks like the amp will become my main system and the Mac will move to the office. Despite the overall excellence of the Mac/Maggie combo, the Onix/Maggie combo sweetened the pot a little more. Surprise!

The Onix CD player is excellent. Very good build quality - but very basic aesthetically. Loading the CD into the transport is exceptionally smooth and very quiet - unlike the Denon player where there is quite a bit of vibration when loading the disks.

The living room system looks like it will be:

Onix SP3 amp
Onix XCD-88 cd player (for redbook)
Denon 2200 (for SACD/DVD-A)
Maggies
Subwoofer???? (to be determined....I was supposed to get an Onix subwoofer before I got distracted by the combo deal)

The office system will be:

McIntosh MA6200
McIntosh MR77 tuner
NAD c541i cd player
Mac Mini/iTunes
Mr. Dual
Speakers: TBD - B&W vs Onix showdown pending

I will be selling the NAD c350 and either the B&W speakers or the Onix speakers.

After this, I'm done except for maybe a little tube rolling.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
p.s. Larry, the Onix amp has a single blue light but I find it somewhat annoying. Maybe if I take the cage off and get the glow of the valves, that will soften it a little.

I feel a little sad to see Mac moving to the office. He looks so comfortable in his spot in the living room. Fortunately (?), I spend quite a bit of time in the office so he'll still get a regular workout. I'll have to find him an extra special table (the ole NAD has a spot on the floor). The table will have to be, as Elaine would say, "Mac-worthy".

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 825
SM - strange, but you're the second person I've "talked with" recently who finds wunnerful blue lights "annoying." Sigh. Guess I'm outta the mainstream, eh? Jest Kegger and Lar - blue-liting their way thru life!

Maybe you'll get used to it? There's always a way to shield it, you know! (don't you DARE!! grin)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 962
Larry,

Did you forget the blue lights on my Jolida and Cambridge Audio gear?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3255

Very funny stuff, Rantz. It's true, driving in Dallas is a contact sport.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 437

quote:

SM - strange, but you're the second person I've "talked with" recently who finds wunnerful blue lights "annoying." Sigh. Guess I'm outta the mainstream, eh? Jest Kegger and Lar - blue-liting their way thru life!

Is it that you're out of the mainstream Larry, or maybe you're just a closet K-Mart shopper?
"Attention shoppers...we have a blue light special right now in our Electronics Department.." ;)

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 438
With a nod to My Rantz, and Chris Rea of course:

"Warm winds blowing
Heating blue sky
And a road that goes forever
I'm going to Texas"

"See" you all in a couple weeks...

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 830
Rick: (saluting) No, sir, I did NOT forget, sir! You are definitely in the "good guyz" camp - I just tend to take so much for granted! (or is that "granite?" Hmmm)

PSST - the other person who finds blue lights bothersome is John A. - ask him! He says that stereo stuff should be heard, not seen! Right?

Sem: Love it - but does K-Mart still do that? I haven't been in one of their stores in years.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1602
Sem

She said, "What?"

Have a good safe trip - there are some strange ones in Texas - particularly in Dallas [grin].

"Very funny stuff, Rantz. It's true, driving in Dallas is a contact sport."

It might be better than Miami though Jan - I heard they sport bumper stickers there with the slogan: "Honk if you have an Uzi."

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3256

Wussies, we don't give no warning shots!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 965
In New York City, everything including crossing the street, is a contact sport.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3260

You mean you guys walk across the street? Man, I'd heard things were tough in the NorthEast. Here in Dallas we don't walk nowhere. That's what oil and pick up trucks were meant for.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 967
That's why everyone is so mad all the time. We don't have room for cars. We have 8 million people living on an island the size of one of your average malls. You can walk 20 blocks faster than you can drive it.

Oh, to cross the street. So as not to get run over, you have to walk across the roofs of moving taxi's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
What is this? The urban equivalent of "my momma can beat up your momma?" lol.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 968
There you go, you had to bring our momma's into it. Are you sure your not from New York? LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
Ok, continuing some conversations from Tube Talk over here....

Kegger, the rug is 5'x8' and the leading edge is 3' in front of the maggies. I've been considering raising the maggies off the floor but haven't found a solution I like,yet.

2C,

I have heard of people positioning the maggies sideways and thought it sounded insane. I have not yet tried this because where they are currently located, the right speaker would be in front of a doorway that opens into the hall. It is intriguing and at some point, I will try them sideways to see what it sounds like. BTW, on the maggie forum, a guy there said he pulled his speakers out 9' from the wall behind them and directed them towards a drywall that had no treatments or obstructions. He then put his listening chair behind the Maggies. Claimed the soundstage enveloped him. This would also be the guy who said magnetic wire sounded the best with the maggies of any speaker wire he used. He is the one who recommended Paul Speltz wire - not to me directly, just on the maggie forum.

Don,

I like to mix different textures. I prefer dark woods like the cherry cabinets in the pics or even ebony. But, I like to mix in lighter rattans/wickers pieces. Earth tones are my preferred color and I use the green you see on the walls in all but 3 rooms in my house. My decorating style is fairly eclectic and probably not to most people's tastes. There's a mixture of folk art cat sculptures and paintings, african masks, old violins and an Irish bodhran I picked up in Dublin hanging on the walls. Mix that in with the buddha heads and the cat buddha and it becomes a mishmash that somehow works - at least for me. ;-) I still would like to add some paintings and need to get some more flower arrangements to soften the place up a bit. All in due time, I guess.

Here's the pic of the maggies "at rest"....this was before the tube equipment arrived and stole the show. Again, for my small space, the MMG's are perfect. To get the unbelievably great sound out of them at their low price point was stroke of luck. I'm intrigued by the bigger maggies - but, cannot afford the 3.6's. So, since the 1.6's cost 3 times as much as the MMG's, they would have to offer at least 3 times as good sound for me to consider the upgrade to them. I think they would probably fit my space ok, too.

Ok, so Larry, Rantz, Kegger and I have all posted pics...where are everyone else's?

Rick,

There's a clue in the pic that might tip you off to my not being from NY. Can you find it? :-)

Upload

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2332
"Kegger, the rug is 5'x8' and the leading edge is 3' in front of the maggies. I've been considering raising the maggies off the floor but haven't found a solution I like,yet."

How far apart are the maggies from outer edge to outer edge? (When in play)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 843
SM - sure can tell this isn't Kegger's home! (grin) more after dinner - and then check the hi-res thread. New SACD that's a marvel!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2909
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:

Jan Vigne
Bronze Member

Post Number: 19

Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 12:10 pm:

Jan Vigne
Gold Member

Post Number: 3255

Awesome, Jan!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2910
SM,

I recall our new gold member saying the Mageplanars give a vertical line sound source. This will produce interference and stereo imaging only if the line sources are parallel to each other. As I understand it, if you put the speakers on their sides, one would have to be above the other, and you would have to listen lying down.

Nice photo. You could try turning them in slightly. All speakers (including panels, ribbons, electrostatics) have their best frequency response when heard on-axis; imagine the sound wave emerging perpendicular to the plane of the panel.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 972
SM,

The only thing I see is the Southern Living magazine....

John,

I've noticed that I am closing in on that Gold Member milestone. I wonder if I appeal to the board, they may make me the first RUST member. I wonder if they can simply type that in? LOL!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us