Discoloring of tv from speakers HELP!!!!!

Username: Themorningview

Utica, Mi Us

Post Number: 1
Hi I have a pair of pioneer cs-703 vintage lud speakers I got frput it on oma thrift storew form $25. I bought a new Sharp 32" tv and I set it up on a 4ft by 4ft entertainment center and i have the speakers on the floor up against the side of the e-center. At times ill get a yellow dis-coloring at the top right. So is there a way to block the magnet from the speakers or do i just ahve to move them as far away from the tv as possible?

Also I am missing a 4 inch midrange from one of the speakers so iof anyone knows a site i can get a 4 inch midrange vintage or new.

Thanks, Tim

Here is a pic of my speakers- Upload

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 120
Move the speakers away from the TV right away. As your speakers are not magnetically shielded they are screwing up your TV. If they are close long enough the damage could be permanent. You will need to place your speakers far enough away that there is no effect on the TV or buy magnetically shielded speakers.

Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2
Invest in some decent speaker stands, aside from giving you more options in moving them the hell away from the TV, they'll improve the sound 100% --- look at partsexpress.com and accessories4less.com for some really good deals.

You want the tweeters to be at least level with your ears in viewing position.

Username: Kero

Post Number: 7
I hope they were not near the TV to long as they could cause permanent color problems to the TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 50
after you get those bad boys away from you tv, you will need to get the de-magnetising wand to pass over the tv. Im not kiding. Your local tv guy has one. Dont remember what its called.

Move those bad boys faaaar away.

Cheers

Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 7
Interestingly, I had my system moved by a 'reputable moving company' about 4 years ago...and they stacked my Polk's right beside my Sony WEGA inside the moving trailer. When we arrived in Wyoming (1 week later) the TV had a serious problem in the corner of the screen just like you are describing. I got the same advice...get the speakers away from the tube and get the magnetic wand. However, the problem disappeared before the nearest TV expert could arrive at my home (2 days). Why did it 'self-correct'?

Finally, I am having a similar problem. My Polk center channel sitting on top of the WEGA puts a noticable 'oscillating shadow' in the center of my screen when the heavy action gets going in a movie. I've tried draping the wire to one side or the other of the tube and it makes no difference. I assume this is also a form of magnetic interference. Is there some type of blanket or foam or something that will stop this 'oscillating shadow'?

Bronze Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 33
> My Polk center channel sitting on top of the WEGA puts a noticable 'oscillating shadow' in the center of my screen when the heavy action gets going in a movie.

That's really strange, I thought all center speakers are magnetically shielded because most people with tube TVs (still the large majority) just put it on top of the TV directly.

Bronze Member
Username: Gas_wyoming

Cody, WY

Post Number: 13
It is strange...I might try to raise the speaker from it's present position about 6" and see if that helps. But this is really a distraction when we watch action or loud music. I've thought about setting my center channel to small, because it seems to be an issue with the wonderful bass that can be produced from this Polk CS300 speaker. Are these good ideas for experiments or not? If yes or no, please provide me with an opinion, tell me (*teach me) why or why not.

This is the most educational audio blog I know. Thanks for the knowledge you frequent posters give...it usually makes my night to see you guys write so passionately about audio topics. There could be a little less "thin skin" and "insults", but you guys usually get back to the subject pretty quickly. Thanks again for any feedback.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 471
Tim,

Either call or go to the Pioneer website to look up local 'authorized' pioneer repair contractors in year area. They'll be able to either repair, or find a replacement midrange. I would personally remove the midrange from the speaker myself, and take it in(out of the cabinet), and the repair shop will get you on the right path. When you unplug your midrange, be sure the posts are clearly marked pos/neg to save any confusion and doing the 9v battery test when you hook it back up.

Good luck....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us