Great record player for under $700?

Kid-A
Unregistered guest
Ok, I've recently gotten back into listeneing to lp's.......The only problem is I don't have a player. I know the planar 3 has a great rep, but I just can't afford it. I'm looking for a great, not mearly good starter phono for under $700. Ok so I say $700 but thats REALLY stretching it. It's a "do I want to pay rent and eat this month or listen to my vinyl(though choice). So anything that will give me the infamous "bang for my buck" would be awesome. Thanks:-)

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 535
Kid A

That's a tough call. You're right at the price point where tables start getting good. If you can't swing a new Rega P3, would you consider buying a used one? There's usually a good number of Regas on the used market as owners trade up for better tables. A used VPI HW-19 JR might also be in your price range. If you buy a used tt, I'd suggest you buy a new cartridge from a local dealer and have the dealer install the cartridge for you. Most dealers will not charge you for installation if you buy the cartridge from them.

BTW "Kid A" sounds great on vinyl.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 233
Audio Advisor has a Goldring TT on clearance. Goto www.Audioadvisor.com. The Goldring is basically a Rega P2 in design (I think Rega has a better motor) and has received good reviews.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MHGR1

Username: Len_bloom

Sarasota, Fl Usa

Post Number: 9
I'm buying the Rega P3. What cartridge will mate well with the TT but will not be too expensive?

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 234
Look for a Rega or Goldring model. They both work well with Regas. Stay away from Grado as they have grounding issues with Rega arms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us