Simple Amp Mod

Modder
Unregistered guest
If you have a cheap AV/Int amp like Marantz SR7300 or PM4200 and looking to improve its sound, the easiest way is to replace its interal interconnect cables.

My SR7300 is using some cheapo thin cables made by Sumitomo to connect between pre and power section. I replace them with QED Qunex 2 and the difference is immediately noticeable.

1. Overall volume improves by about 2-3dB. Music sounds slightly louder.
2. Tiny details in your music are more apparent.
3. Drums beats and symbol clashes are more noticeable. The stick hitting drum skin is more apparent. Transients have improved too.

You might want to try it out. I suggest you use the same cables as your interconnects.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 18
Sounds good, but by doing this could Marantz void the warranty?

Sam Of Chicago
Unregistered guest
Marantz - cheap!!??

Anyways, isn't this change and some others were done by Marantz in the 7300ose model?

Read Marantz info for the 7300ose:
The Marantz SR7300ose, a supercharged version of the Marantz SR7300, is designed for exceptional high-end home theater performance that incorporates DTS ES-discrete 6.1-channel decoding for enhanced surround sound realism. The additional back surround channel decoded from DTS-6.1 encoded discs provides a more realistic surround sound environment by allowing smoother, 360-degree sound effects. For enhanced performance, the SR7300ose incorporates a copper plated chassis with double bottom plate, """"upgraded power supply, better shielding and wiring and gold plated input and output jacks."""" The Marantz SR7300ose also offers a selection of other useful surround modes, including Dolby Digital EX, DTS 5.1 decoding. Dolby Pro Logic II (Music and Movie) decoding, an HDCD decoder, as well as SRS Circle Surround II (6.1). The SR7300ose's advanced DSP circuitry utilizes 24-bit, 192 kHz audio decoding and a leading edge Crystal DSP chip for superlative fidelty and resolution. The SR7300ose is software upgradeable and easily controlled via a RS232C terminal and includes a programmable learning remote control.

Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 3
Sam

I suppose "cheap" is a relative term! If the SR7300's are cheap then they are surely incredible value!

My wallet did not agree with modder!

modder
Unregistered guest
It doesn't void the warranty. There is no soldering involved on the amp side. The cables aren't soldered to the circuit board. Its using connectors. You just have to make another set of cables to replace the current ones.

As for the cost, I though Marantz is cheap compared to NAD and Rotel.

myyrrantz
Unregistered guest
Modder

I'm having logging in troubles again.

In Aus the 7300ose was $2899 (now $2499) the 7300 was $2200 now $1800

Nad 762 $2499

On Par or there abouts! Thnx for the tip!

My Rantz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us