RECEIVER AS PRE-AMP

Anonymous

WHAT MID-PRICED RECEIVER HAS SUPERIOR PRE-AMP SECTION TO MATCH MY ANTHEM MCA3 3 CHANNEL POWER AMP DRIVING DYNAUDIO AUDIENCE 42 SPEAKERS? I AM CURRENTLY USING A YAMAHA RXV 795 BUT I WANT TO UPGRADE. I LISTEN MOSTLY TO MUSIC DVD, CDs AND SACD.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 3
Depends a lot on what you consider to be "mid-priced?"

However, for under $1K, you can't do better than the pre/pro section of an NAD receiver, either the 743 or the 753. Now, I used to own a more expensive Denon 3803, but about 10 months ago, I went to hear a demonstration of receivers. I compared the sound of four different receivers, the NAD 742, the Onkyo 700, the Denon 2802 and the Harman/Kardon 325. Using the same speaker system and the same source player, a number of DVD selections were offered up and it became clear that background noises played through the NAD were clearly heard, on the H/K, they were just a bit muffled, when played through the Denon they were very muffled and indistinct and when played through the Onkyo, the sounds were simply non-existant. Later, a home test of the 742 showed it was clearly better sounding than my Denon (at half the price).

Likewise, when playing music CDs, the soundstage presented through the NAD was clear and distinct, less so with the H/K, and the Denon and Onkyo soundstages were smeared and ill-defined. The results really surprised me as the NAD 742 was the least expensive receiver in the whole demo. However, research showed that the NAD uses a high quality Crystal brand DSP and Delta-Sigma DACs, both usually found only on much more expensive equipment (such as the Sherbourne PT-7000 pre/pro--$1500). It has taken me a number of months, and I went out to listen to every receiver I could find that listed for under $1K, and I concluded that the NAD was the best for me and I now own an NAD 753 receiver. Its pre/pro section is quite good, using the same quality parts as the older 742. One of the interesting things about NAD receivers is that they use essentially the same pre/pro section throughout their product line, unlike most manufacturers who cheapen the product as the price level decreases. The bottom of the line 743 would do the job quite nicely for you, IMO, provided you only want 5 channels (it is a 5.1 receiver, only). If you want six or seven channels, you would have to get a 753.

BTW, I just ordered Dynaudio 42s for my receiver, as well. Awesome speaker, and a great combo with the NAD amps.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 243
Hawk,
I have never heard the Dynaudio line but since I read your post and looked at their website I have found a dealer 45 miles away. Can you describe their sound and relate it to any other lines I might be familiar with, or generally describe their characteristics. I am planning a day trip to that other town in a couple weeks and look forward to hearing them myself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us