Solutions to drive four 8 ohm outside speakers

Username: Kloot

Post Number: 1
I have four 8 ohm speakers on the otuside of my house. Given issues of location and space, it is not desirable for me to have multiple stereo (left/right) combos. Instead, I want to drive mono to each speaker. I need some advice as to how best to accomplish this.
It is my understanding that if I wire the speakers in parallel, the resulting impedance would be 2 ohm. Do I need a special mono reciever or is there a stereo reciever that can be mono-bridged that you can recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will result in 4 ohms and if you put them in series, you'll get 16 ohms.
If you connect two sets of parallel 8 ohm speakers in series with each other, you'll end up with 8 ohms again. This can go to one output of an 8 ohm amplifier.
mz

Anonymous

Thanks Mike.
Please excuse my ignorance, but having solved the impedance issue, how do I wire for mono? With the parallel/series config, I'm still left with one pos and one neg wire. Should I get a mono amp? Is there a mono-bridgeable reciever out there?

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
All four speakers in my config above will get the same signal, so that would be mono. To make sure all your stereo signal (if radio) gets to this setup, set your stereo to 'mono' also. Connect Plus-to-plus for the parallel paires and then the paires connect plus-to-minus. If you did it right, you'll have one minus and one plus to connect to your receiver's output (one channel).
mz

Only Mike
Unregistered guest
.......===(+)<>(-)===......===(+)<>(-)===
=(+)===...............=====..............=====(-)=
.......===(+)<>(-)===......===(+)<>(-)===

here's a diagram. Receiver output + connects to the left and the receiver output - connects to the right end. The <> are speakers and the (+) and (-) are the speaker terminals and the ===== is the wire. The periods are just space holders for the diagram. Hope you can read it. :-)
mz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us