Fisher MT-725 Turntable Questions - Low Volume Even on Phono Input

Username: Ss69camaro350

Post Number: 1
Hello Everyone:

I'm somewhat of a newbie to vinyl, but I've been around it for awhile and do know the basics. I just purchased a new stylus for my father's old (80s vintage) Fisher turntable, to try and hook it up to either my computer or stereo to play some vinyl we have that I remember from when I was younger. However I'm having a problem. I know a pre-amp is required to hook directly to the computer...however I tried to hook this up to 2 different receivers that both have "PHONO IN" jacks on the back, and I'm still getting little to no volume power at all. It actually was a little louder on the AUX IN ports on the one reciever (one had both). Would the wrong needle cause this problem? The number that is on the turntable is ST-67D, however all I could find was an ST-66D. The needle looks the same and fit into the cartridge just like the old one did. Is it possible both phono amps in those recievers are bad? They too are from the early 80s I'd say, or possibly older. Or is something else wrong with the table possibly? Does anyone know if this table must be used only with a specific FIsher Amp?? My father has sold the rest of the equipment that went with it, but when he bought it he bought each piece seperately (amp/receiver, radio tuner, cassette deck, and this turntable). I would think those receievrs have a preamp in them, being as they have phono jacks and selections for it on them. Any tips anyone can provide me would be greatly appreciated. I will get the pre-amp for the computer, but I wanted to find out if the table worked before doing so, which was why I tried those receivers.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Username: Ss69camaro350

Post Number: 2
Anyone?? ANy ideas on this? Should I just junk the table and get a new one?

Jeff
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us