Onkyo 801 or Denon 3805?

Anonymous

Hi, I am new to this HT setup. I have been doing some research on different receivers. Based on my budget (~ $800) and my requirements (mostly movies) I have boiled my choice between SR801 and AVR3805. What are the pros and cons of both?

Also, in terms of speakers which make/model is best suited for either of the receivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 25
for me-DENON would be the choice over ONKYO,i don't know this model though,but friend of mine used to have onkyo(this price range)and was never satissfied-comparing with my DENON.

Anonymous

What about speakers? Which speaker works best w DENON?

Migrain
Unregistered guest
Tweeter company, a major seller of Denon, usually pairs Denon with Mirage speakers. I bought a set of Mirage speakers for my surround set up and I am very pleased. I Do not have a Denon, but I'm sure the sound would be great giving the fact that Denon has the ability to bring out all of the little details that the Mirage speakers can manifest. My current set up consist of:

The Mirage 260 floor standing speakers for left and right.
The compatable center channel (I can't name it off hand).
The Mirage 50 bookshelf speakers as surrounds.

The only reason why I chose bookshelfs as surrounds is because I play alot of music and I wanted a warmer sound. Also they are better timber matched to the 260 floor standers than the matching surrounds.

Or, you could go with the Mirage Omnisat series wich gets rave reviews if you are interested in a good cinema set. They look way cool and when they are playing in the stoors, I have dificulty locating them.

On the high end, everything I have heard about the Definitve 7000 series has been amazing. This is a big set that has 28 drivers or more, and three built in subs- one of wich is in the center channel! The Denon will power these speakers just fine as well. If I were to upgrade from the Mirage I would go with the Definitives just so I can experience getting blown out of my seat in my own house.
Migrain

Bronze Member

Slovakia

Post Number: 29
B@W works very well,especially higher models(at least for me)don't go cheap on speakers,audienced cerwin-vega's,deftech,infinity-non of them sounded as good as B@W's,try a few brands before making final decision

Bronze Member

Slovakia

Post Number: 30
...well,it all depends on your budget:-)

edster922
Unregistered guest
if you're using it for mostly movies, I'd get the Onkyo if you can get it at a substantial savings---in fact onecall.com has it right now for $600 shipped which is the lowest I've ever seen it go. The Ethernet hookup on the back is pretty nifty, too.

Take the savings and invest in a good sub. For HT you won't need super speakers (Athenas will do just fine) but a good sub like a Velodyne, Hsu or SVS will make a bigger difference esp. if you like action movies.

Anonymous

Thanks folks. I finally went with a Onkyo 801. I understand this model is being discontinued.

I went NHT speakers. I got SC2 for center channel, SB3 for the front/rear, and a SW12 for a sub-woofer.

Please let me have your thoughts on the speaker. I do not see much discussion on this brand. Is this comparable to Definitive, Paradigm, or M&K?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 93
Yes. NHT makes some really nice kit.

Very competitive loudspeakers in the < $1,000 USD range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us