Marantz upgrade

jimboston22
Unregistered guest
I have a very modest system, running it with an older Yamaha RX-V595. I really had no plans on replacing it until the end of the year with a Nad, Marantz or Rotel receiver. However, I just found and picked up a brand new display Marantz SR5400 very, very cheap. It was just the display, and never used, out of box for 2 months. So my question is this, regardless of speakers, is this a worthwile upgrade, or should I wait a year and really move up to a better amp.
It will be used for 70% music, sacd, dvd-audio, and 5.1 movies. in a small room.
Thanks for any suggestions

mickey88
Unregistered guest
I think it is a worthwhile upgrade, especially if you got a good deal

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1449
I agree, the SR5400 has been highly regarded by various reviewers. It's output actually rated higher than the specs stated with all channels driven. The only drawback might be if you have speakers that tame the 'Yamaha brightness' they may not suit the 'warmer' sound of Marantz.

edster922
Unregistered guest
I love my 5400, huge improvement in music performance over the easier-to-use Onkyo 601 I sent back. Mine was a floor model too and even though the sales guy swore it was "very lightly used" I find the remote control not as responsive as it should be. But then again I did get it at a very nice discount even compared to online places, so I'm not complaining too much about that.

Yeah, the Marantz just has a full, "golden" sound that really floors me.

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 19
GOOD DECISION. I JUST PICKED UP THE 4400 MYSELF.

jimboston22
Unregistered guest
- I was going to return it, but I played with it all weekend, and its a great amp. I cant believe the price I got for it. I was really planning on something in the $1000 range, but I am very happy so far.
edster922... what mode do you listen to for 2 channel? I tried stereo and a few other modes, circle surround music especially. Why the huge difference in sound between the two. The stereo mode seemed very laid back where as the Circle surround music seemed very dynamic?
Am I hearing everything correctly?

Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9
I hate to overstate it but I think it is the best buy in an AVR that I know of. I have a combined 2 channel/home theater system and I use the SR5400 as my multichannel processor and amplifier for my center channel and rear speakers. I run the SR5400 pre amp out to my NAD video in. My NAD has 2 pre outs, I run one to my Hafler power amp and the other to my subwoofer. I can then use my sub for both 2 channel and home theater, and it just sounds better out of the pre outs than from the LFE channel (this works out of the SR5400 pre outs as well). The key is to set your receiver to large fronts and no sub. That sends all of the low frequency info where it needs to go and sounds way better for music.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Jim,

Now that you mention it I haven't really used the Circle surround setting much at all. For music I usually do stereo or, if I want a fuller soundstage, Neo 6 Music.

I only have a 3.1 setup so I don't hear as huge of a difference in surround than in stereo for music, though for vocal dominated music I do like using my behemoth Ascend 340 center in addition to my 340 mains...awesome voice reproduction!

jimboston22
Unregistered guest
edster922,
I am also running a 3.1. Even then, I notice a really big difference between stereo and circle surround- music and even Neo 6 Music. I thought the stereo mode would be the best choice for 2 channel, but the other settings, even though they are surround settings, so much better to me.

jimboston22
Unregistered guest
edster922,
I am also running a 3.1. Even then, I notice a really big difference between stereo and circle surround- music and even Neo 6 Music. I thought the stereo mode would be the best choice for 2 channel, but the other settings, even though they are surround settings, so much better to me.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Actually I thought the Circle Surround is supposed to be for headphone use?

jimboston22
Unregistered guest
Well whatever the CS[] button on the remote is. It has three modes, cinema, music and mono
Any of the surround modes sound great, even in 2 channel
The stereo mode sounds very different, somewhat muffled
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us