How to get all 7 channels? what's the point...?

Username: Fable

Post Number: 10
None of the movie offers 7.1. DTS ES and DD EX only create the 6th channel (I think it's a center channel which doesn't exist in the 7.1 configuration). So you will never get 7 channels in movie. Is there any way / any decoder that gives you all 7 channels? If not, what's the point of buying 7.1 channels receiver and pay more money for speakers while your 2 surround back speakers are useless?

Your helpful comments are appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 101
There are 6 channel movies, and those can be used with 7 channels, it is just that the 2 rears are the same. 7 channel will future proof you since i would imagine there will be 7 channel dvd's. You can use dsp modes for 7.1 playback of 2 channel music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
What's DSP mode? can you be more specific? I can't seem to get my HK630 to playback in 7 channels. I can switch to Logic 7 7channels but only the center, FL and FR have sound (indicate on the receiver and I don't hear anything from the other speakers). I have both optical and analog connection.

Jayb
Unregistered guest
I have owned a 7.1 reciever for a while now and I personally can't imagine going back to a 5 speaker setup. Having side, and rear channel surround, IMO creates a truly theatre like sound field.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 120
I agree......

IMO, it doesnt matter whether it's a 5 or 2 channel source. I always run my system in 7.1 channel mode. The effect they add is pretty darn cool. To the 'cost' comment...... spending big bucks on fancy high end back speakers isnt really necessary because they carry a smallest load in the surround package. I just have an inexpensive pair of wall mountable bose161s in the back, and they suite their 'back' purpose well. The back speakers play a secondary role, where as the front/center speakers are the lead actors. If you want to spend lots of cash, spend it mostly in the front/center because they are the workhorses that make the biggest impact.

Something small and inexpensive like this would suite all but the hardcore audiophiles in the back.
http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/bose/161.html
Heck, Im not even a bose fan and have never owned bose before, but these little guys were the perfect size and application for what I needed.

Dexter, sorry, but I dont have a HK so I cant help ya. Why would you run both analog & Digital connections??? Heck, that could be part of your problem right there. The purpose of the digital connection is to make the analog obsolete.

Username: Ahramlee

Post Number: 2
Dexter,

How many speakers do you have hooked up to your AVR? I'm currently using the AVR430 (little brother to the 630) to fire all 7 channels in my HT. If you have all 7 channels hooked up to speakers, find yourself some DVD's that are encoded with DTS-ES (Gladiator, Lord of the Rings extended versions, to name a few) and use the digital connection from the dvd player into your AVR. From the dvd menu, select dts-es. Your AVR should register 6.1 DTS. Make sure the DVD input is set to the proper digital input. You should now have sound coming from all 7 channels.

NOTE: The 6th channel in dts-es comes from both the surround back speakers--channels 6 and 7.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks Ahram, I have all 7 speakers from Ascend Acoustics and a Hsu VTF2-MK2 sub. Would the Dobby Digital EX work like DTS-ES? (I know DTS is better due to less compression).

Paul, I'd like to clarify my connections. I have both connected so that I can switch between them. They are independent; one doesn't interfere with the other. However, I did try to unplug the analog cable and still didn't get all 7 channels in Logic 7 7channels mode.

I don't know much about acronym. What is IMO?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 126
Sorry....

In my opinion...

edster922
Unregistered guest
> Thanks Ahram, I have all 7 speakers from Ascend Acoustics

schweeet! Which models? Right now I just have the 340s for mains and center, am making do with some tiny old Mordaunt Shorts for the surrounds and a Wharfedale rear center.

I love my 340s, I did hear the 170s but am wondering if they might be a little overkill for rear surrounds since they are so good.

Diamond
Unregistered guest
I have a 7.1 system on A (A/B on the reciever) plus 2 for outside which is on B. My amp blew it was an inexpensive sony (not es) but accepted a 7.1 system. Protect was comming on when I went past 45 dbs. I ordered a 5000 es. Will this solve the problem? Some one was mentioning impedence matching via a speaker selector, but it looks like the selector only has an imput from the reciever of 2 wires. So then the only output would be 2ch. Need help

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2784
edster922,
What overkill? No such thing:-)
Have you listened to any DVD-Audio or SACD? Do so as soon as you get the chance, you will really appreciate the Ascends as rear surrounds.

Bronze Member
Username: Dairymeister

Post Number: 13
Dexter, do explainations of the surround sound formats help?

http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
edster922, I have Ascend HTM model for the surround and surround back. I think 170 maybe overkill for the surround as the HTM already make so much impact; in addition, you have 4 of them pointing down your neck; that's why I chose to go with the HTM model instead of the 170 model for surround.

Dairy, thanks for the link. I've got the same info. from onecall.com. However, that link is helpful especially when they link you to other site that list movies in DD EX format. According to this site Shark Tale is in DD EX format but I bought it the other day and it only list DD 5.1. There is no way I can set my receiver to DD EX because the source is 5.1. Did I buy a strip down version of Shark tale? I bought it the first day from Circuit City.

My complaint is largely due to the fact that when I switch to DD EX (in Lost in Space), my receiver shows DD EX but it only shows 5 speakers that have sound. That's why I doubt I got all 7 channels even in DD EX.

I'm going to upgrade the firmware to get D Pl IIx and if it gives me all 7 channels for the analog connection, I may abandon the optical connection all together eventhough it sounds superior.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Berny,

Well no, I guess I feel guilty enough for all the money I spend on normal CDs I don't want to start yet ANOTHER expensive habit! Eating is kind of important, you know? : )

Plus I get the impression that the selection of DVD-A and SACD is still pretty small at this point. Maybe in another 5 years when one format emerges as the dominant one and gets truly mass produced prices will go down more...

Username: Svendehot

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 6
Dexter,

Your problem is the fact that you cannot run Logic 7 for DVD's. In the manual it will tell you that Logic 7 only works when you have 2 channel or 2 channel matrix encoded material. The only way you are going to get 7.1 surround is to turn the 630 to dts-es mode; or conversely DD-EX. Remember, logic 7 is for music and TV, not digitally surround encoded material. Now, go and try watching movies this way. Also, another point: if you are watching 5.1 material, remember to set that avr 630 so that it can post process Pro-logic IIx along with the Dolby Digital format. This should be all in your manual. I know because I have a Harman Kardon avr 430, software version 5.2. Hope the is helps!

Sincerely,
Ben

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Ben, I have just finished reading the new manual (comes with the download firmware)again and couldn't find info. on how to set the 630 to do post process Pro-logic IIx along with Dolby Digital. Please tell me how to do it or point me to any document containing this particular process.

I mentioned Logic 7 above and I meant I was in music mode not DVD movie with optical connection.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us