Sunfire True Sub EQ or Def Tech Super Cube I

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 37
anybody who has experience on either one of this would be greatly appriciated. I could get the Super Cube for $760 and same w/ Sunfire for 35% off msrp. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 98
The supercube will be easier to blend with your speakers and will offer good impact. On my auditions with the Supercube it does extremely well with music and movies but I never felt that pants flopping extreme gut moving feeling from it. I have yet to hear a well placed sunfire in a store. I keep hearing once you get it placed right it will be quite impressive. They do hit hard for their size but the sound IMO is best described as noisy. I guess maybe I just haven't heard one set up correctly.

If you have the space for one of the SVS or HSU offering in the same price range I feel you would get more satisfication due to their better dynamics.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
thanks. anyway I demo them last thursday but the problem was they were in a separate room and the Sunfire came out very low and tight but was using a Y cable while the Def Tech sounded boomy but was connected w/ a single cable. so I went to another store and was able to convince the salesguy to put it side by side. then thats when I heard a big difference. both w/o Y cable and Def Tech sounded very low and tight compared to Sunfire w/c sounded boomy. I will try it again on tuesday as soon as my salesman come in just to be sure and bring my own Y adapter. I might just be limited to this 2 bec. of the 35% off I can get from the msrp through him, brand new in a box. I will keep u posted. thanks

Bronze Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 100
I just got a Supercube I a couple of days ago. Actually right after giving you my thoughts on it. I just had to see how it would sound in "my" room. First off the sub blends wonderfully with my Dyn 42's. I have only tuned the sub in by ear but am already getting excellent integration. The bad thing is the sub does not play very low. On a 25Hz test tone with my rat shack meter I got 78db. Maybe with a little better placement and tweaking I will be able to get a few more db extension.

The main thing the cube has going for it is it's integration with the other speakers. Maybe that is why it has been getting so much attention by the folks at audio revolution? I'll be able to get the Cube tuned in better tomorrow and I'll let you know what I think.

I will be ordering a VTF-3 next to compare the two. I'm suspecting a VTF-3 may not be quite as placement friendly as the Supercube.

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 101
35% off MSRP is an excellent price. Both are excellent subs. I got my supercube 18% off due to open box which is still not bad.

For myself I will be ordering a VTF-3 MSRP $699 +$50 shipping just to make sure. I really don't want to look back a year from now wishing I had got the VTF-3 all along. I probably should have ordered the HSU first anyways but had to make sure if the supercube would suffice. So far it has not let me down completely but if I can get better for even less than that is what I want.

The supercube or sunfire may suit you just fine.

Just my two cents. LEt me know how it turns out for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
James, I went for the Supercube I for $775 a piece and took 2 home for now to try it but I can return it w/ in 30 days if it don't work for me. my preamp has only 1 LFE output but I have a Y splitter so I would try it any day, thanks. anyway what brand is a VTF?

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 102
www.hsuresearch.com

The original VTF-3 got a AAA rating from stereophile and is on their recommended products list.

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 103
I have ordered my VTF-3 and it should be delivered on Wed or Thur. As far as low output extension the VTF-3 will equal or exceed the clean output of 2 supercube I's. Since 99.5% of music and movie material does not usually go below 25Hz I am still debating if anything below 25Hz is even worth it. I am interested to see if the sound quality of the VTF-3 will be a match for the Supercube I for music and movies.

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 104
514329- So what are your thoughts so far on the dual supercubes?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
my internet server was acting strange since last Friday so I haven't been active but anyway, I haven't open them up bec. when I audition the floor model in another store, it was producing a rattle so I got worried. how about the Supercube Reference Series, any thoughts on it?

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 107
The Supercube reference is supposed be able to give 4 times the output of a Supercube I. From others reporting on it it is strong down to the low 20Hz range and VERY loud.

I would take the Supercube reference over the 2 Supercube I's. Especially if you are getting a discount. Placement for two subs can be tricky and depending on your room you may never get it right. The reference is not much bigger than a Cube I so placement should not be difficult as far as floor space is concerned.

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 108
I just got my VTF-3 today! It took a while to set up but was definitely worth it. I was a little discouraged at first because no matter where I placed it the thing was so darn localizable. I found out the volume knob is very sensitive and 10:00 was too much but 9:00 is perfect. Now it blends perfectly with my mains for music.

I am hearing low frequency information that I did not know existed. One Supercube I definitely does not have the authority the VTf-3 has. Bass guitar is much more noticeable and cleaner. I am going to give it about a week and then decide between the two. I am already impressed with the VTF-3.

I have to recalibrate for HT now and run test tones to see how my room affects the VTF-3. MAybe get a parametric eq.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
James, my internet server isn't fix yet but hopefully soon. it still logging me out everytime I post a message. hopefully this will go through. anyway I set it up L & R and I'm using a Y splitter into the low pass input w/c produces no voices ( LFE input will ) except low bass and it rattling the room w/o causing migraine or headache. 2 is definetely better than just one and a lot better and lower bass than the 2002TL powersub.

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 113
Maybe you found a winner !

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
so James, w/c one did u go for, HSU or Def Tech? I'm sticking w/ the Def Tech for the price and besides, everywhere I place it ( 15" - 6" away from the corner ) it still produces a very good bass by using a Y splitter through the L & R low end input.

Silver Member

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 114
I liked the HSU better. It produces deeper cleaner bass than 1 supercube. It will totally engulf you with bass when watching movies. On music the bass has more impact and is more neutral. I am very happy with my purchase. I also saved $300. So yes I kept the HSU and returned the Def Tech.

I would have purchased an SVS PB12/PLUS 2 if the wife would allow that big of a box. IT goes for $1199. Maybe in a few years when I can get a house with a media room I will get one. But for now the VTF-3 is doing a good job.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us