KEF speakers

Anonymous

kef speakers are great the question is with which amp will it work best with. im going be using it for HT and music too. the kef is 120w max. thanks

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 204
Kef will handle amps with more power than the stated max.

Which Kefs?

Anonymous

the q3 and the q1 or may be the q compact for the rears. just like to ask also if i use the q1 as the fronts and use the q compact at the rears is this a good combo for a 25q meter room. also which amp will be a good choice for the kef for movies and music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
Great speakers.

if you are going for surround sound, NAD, Rotel, Arcam, H/K and Marantz would be a good shortlist for A/V receivers.

I am a NAD advocate and not everyone is, but that would be my personal first choice. The Q3s have 91 dB efficiency and bearing in mind you room size I think an NAD T753 at an honest 80 W per channel in surround mode (110 W stereo, I think) would give you lots of power and all the volume and headroom most people would need.

Anonymous

id like to under stand the watts situation. if the amp at 8ohms has a 100watts output then it would be best suited with a speaker of how many watts. I know there are many possibilities with this matchup. but what would be the best. a 100watt speaker with a 100watts amp? or something else. my reason is if the amp can only handle 100w then whats the point of buy a pair of speaker which is 120 0r 150w. is't is better to buy the right one and save money. so i hope u could clear my confusion here. sorry for so many questions. thankyou.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
The Watts value for an amp is the power in Watts it will deliver with less than a certain low level of distortion. NAD and others are "honest" in the sense that the figure they quote is for each channel with all channels driven, and driven continuously. Some other makers give you a figure that is not met when you add those qualifications. See fpr example NAD power.

The Watts value for a speaker is the manufacturer's recommended range of amp power values that will be OK with that speaker on one of its channels. KEF will tell you you can safely use a more powerful amp if you like, but do not turn the volume right up! If you use an amp with less power than is in the the speakers quoted range, you won't get reasonable volumes without distortion. The Q-series are very tolerant, 15-120 W. I should think the 80 W (in surround) T753 would be a good match. The 50 W (in surround) T743 would also sound good, but would not go as loud.

Ohms is the resistance of the speaker to the current, so you get more power into a 4 Ohm resistance than into an 8 Ohms resistance, but not all amp/receivers can sustain the higher current drawn by 4 Ohm speakers. The combination I suggest would be safe and secure: Kef are 8 Ohm speakers.

Anonymous

thanks, so if i use 2 pairs of q1 with tha Nad t53 it would, instead of the q3 and q1 combo is that ok looking at my room size since both the speakers types are 120 each the only diff is that one is floor standing and one is bookself. thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Anonymous,

That sounds like a good idea. The Q3 has just a bit more bass extension, to 42 Hz instead of the Q1's 45 Hz. It is nothing to notice. Especially if you are going to use a powered sub-woofer to deliver the bass, it will go much lower than that anyway.

Anonymous

will the nad t753 will be ok or the t763.. also which modle HK will be good or even the marantz. thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Anon. Personally I think the T753 would be fine in that size of room. It is 6 x 70 W, btw. The higher power of the T763 is not a bad thing in itself, but I think there would be no difference in sound quality in any normal application, with those speakers. It is what you can afford. The speaker/receiver combo you have in mind is a really good one. I would not be tempted to get cheaper speakers just to save money to spend on a bigger receiver.

I do not know as much about H/K or Marantz, but they are good makes. Somone else can maybe help you there.

Let us know how you get on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
See also the thread Directly from KEF.

Randy McIntyre
Unregistered guest
I've been using a NAD 320BEE with Q5s for a while now and they sound great. I tried using a HK but didnt like the combination anywhere as much. I would certainly recommend Nad & KEF.

anthony williams
Unregistered guest
i have a pair of kef coda 7 special edition speakers are they magnetically shielded as i have to mount one of them by a t.v ?

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 32
Q3's are a lovely speaker, if you don't mind having insubstantial bass. The Q5's are like a Q3 but with bass! If you're using a GOOD sub then get the Q3's but if yours is crap get rid of it and buy some Q5's instead. Both the Q3's and Q5's are gorgeous sounding speakers once they're run-in (a little harsh and bright before then) and sound far more expensive than they cost. I'd recommend Kef with Nad or Marantz amplification unreservedly.

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 33
Wanna go integrated amp or separate components? If your speakers are 120W max, any decent 2*60W RMS power amp will do the job no constraints, but what you should check is the speakers sensitivity, (dB/m). Figures around 90 dB/m will push the amp lighter than 88dB/m, even if power and impedance are the same. From my experience, any Rotel will deliver more dynamics than its NAD equivalent, due to more current reserves, but that's just an opinion! Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 34
I just said that because for 10 years now I have 2 KEF Q70 feeded by Rotel RB990BX + Aura CA200.
Sorry if I seem a rep from Rotel, no intention.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us