Question about using 80 Watt speakers?? more info inside...

Username: Peadegm

Post Number: 10
I am about to buy a Yamaha 630W 6.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver - Silver Model: HTR-5750
630W total power: 6 x 105W 1kHz power rating @ 8 ohms
I want to put 3 ceiling speakers in the rear for surround and am looking at the JBL Soundpoint 6.5 2 way speakers. I am going to put one in several rooms so need 3 pair and can get them for 102.00 per pair on the net. Here are the specs below...will they be enough or do I need 100Watts?? Thanks

• Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 88dB
• Low-Frequency Driver: 6-1/2" Titanium-laminate cone with rubber surround
• High-Frequency Driver: 1" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS waveguide and swivel mount
• Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 80 Watts
• Frequency Response (--10dB): 40Hz -- 20kHz
• Crossover Frequency: 2.6kHz

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 52
If the speakers are rated at 80 watts max and you have a 105w/chan reciever you may have purchased a bigger receiver than you need. Typically you want to get a speaker with a higher max wattage than your amplifier, otherwise you can run into trouble.

Bronze Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 82
It still shouldnt matter much. It is a lot easier to kill a speaker with too little power than too much. On top of this, speaker makers are pretty conservative about power ratings while receiver manufacturers tend to lie about their power ratings.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

S.C. - You are the cynical one. A speaker rated 20-20kHz with no other spec is hardly conservative. I would say the exageration falls evenly on both sides of the fence.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 83
I cant say im particularly impressed by the frequency response of the JBL but at least they are honest enough to put the -10dB part in there as opposed to just leaving it as is. Besides, I still cant imagine him blowing out those speakers with just a little extra wattage, but I suppose it depends on how loud he likes his music.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

No, wattage of an amplifier is not a determinant of whether you will blow out a speaker. Whether you can hear distortion and have the good sense to turn it down will have a far greater effect on the longevity of speakers. My point was merely that marketing departments exist to impress the buying public. Specs often mean more to the ad writers than anyone else.

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 84
Indeed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So what should I do?? I am going to have 100watt book case in the front. Should I buy the JBL 80w or not?? Will I still have a great sounding system for watching movies if I do??

Thanks.......I'm new at this!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I forgot to add that I could also by some "JBL Control 26CT's" They are ceiling speakers as well. They are 100 watts but I don't know much about them. Any thoughts would be helpful!
Thanks

Bronze Member

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 85
The 80's will work just fine. As J.V. noted, if you turn it up to the point where you hear distortion, turn it down till you dont.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us