2ch., 4 ch., 5 ch. ?

Username: 2kflhr

Mooresville, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 1
O.K. guys I've been around awhile and got lost in the new tech. world of audio. When stereos were just stereo's and you were fortunate enough to own a set of Advent speakers you had it made (I still use them in my garage).

Fast foward 25 yrs., I have a set of Bose bookshelf spkrs. and a set of Yahmaha NS-A1738's and just want to hook them up to a good reciever. I have an old ('94 vintage)200w RCA Home Theatre reciever that pumps up the volume, but lacks the ability to adjust the speaker lows and highs. i see 2 channel with AB spkr. sw., 4 ch. and 5 ch. and so on advertised a seemingly reasonable prices.

What is recommended to hook my 4 spkrs too with adjustable ranges and also run a cd player?

Thanks in advance for any input or guidance!

Anonymous

Well do want jus any reciever that works or do you want somthing that sounds awsome

Give a price range and i might be able to help a bit more and so will the other guys

Post Number: 2
Actually, my question is do I need a 2 channel or a 4 channel for a 4 speaker system? I saw a Onkyo Stereo Receiver 100w X2 with A+B switching for $299.00. I do not spend much time at home so therefore don't want to dump a lot of money on a receiver. It will be mostly used by my SO to listen to some cd's.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Then I suggest you let your SO pick out what will work.

Post Number: 3
Nice comeback J.

I have a decent Technics 130w per channel stacked system that used to be in our old house. It doesn't fit in the house we have now, she says. So it is now used in my garage. I need a reciever for the house that will fit into the storage cabinet under the tv along with the cable box, dvd, vcr, and cd player.

My question is, do I need a 2 channel or a 4 channel for a 4 speaker system? what is the difference?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

While an obviously flippant answer is first to mind, I can only tell you it is up to you and your SO. Most of the musical material on the market is still 2 channel. Most of the video on the market is multichannel. New formats are available that present music and video in multichannel. For casual listening, the most significant difference between the two formats is a two channel presentation which is all in front of you. The multi channel has the advantage of enveloping the listener in a field of sound. (This is not considered a significant improvement over stereo by many listeners.) If you are listening from another room, the difference is insignificant and can make adding speakers in another room a bit more difficult. My best advice is take a look at the music you might purchase. If you find quite a bit in multichannel SACD or DVD-A, you might want to consider a 4 channel system. If the majority of what you will buy is still in two channel, you will know more about your options. Take a few pieces of music to a good shop and get a demonstration of two channel, two channel played as four channel and hi-rez multichannel played as two and four channel. Best Buy and other big boxes are not the place for this, find a good retailer. How you will ultimately use the system should be the determinig factor. Buy a disc in SACD of your favorite music (look for the "hybrid" label, these SACD's will play on any CD player) and take it with you to the shop. Look at the ease with which one receiver can be worked. If you get lost in the buttons and knobs of a more comlicated receiver, you will not use whatever the format. That really was the meaning of my previous post. But, if you also use the system infrequently, you may forget how things work. The more complicated the system, the better the chance it will get "fouled up". If you can't get it back to normal, it will never be used again.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for explaining. I (we) just want to simply listen to some older CD's with music from our era. Nothing fancy, just good sound. As I said, I'm not up to speed on todays audio technology and did not want to waste my money and buy more than I needed or something I'd never use.

It sounds like a 2 channel system will fit my needs.

And again, Thanks

edster922
Unregistered guest
For 2-channel sound the H/K 3480 is hard to beat, much better than Onkyo for music and has a subwoofer pre-out. Very attractive casing too, which helps the WAF. About $300 shipped from jr.com I think.

You may also want to look into the Panasonic XR-25/50 digital receiver, it's very sleek and small so particularly good WAF, and does provide amazing clarity and definition, though some people consider it a little "cold". In the $250-300 range and has both stereo and multichannel ability.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us