Extended use of receivers and heat production

Jayb
Unregistered guest
The other day I woke up to find that my receiver had been left on overnight which meant it was on for at least 12 hours. Now it wasn't producing sound during that time which means there was no strain. Now I know what most of u are thinking, if I was going to be away from my unit why not put it on sleep. Well I would have except I wasn't the one who turned it on.
Getting to the point, can leaving your receiver on for rediculus amounts of time damage your unit?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

I switch to the on position when I bring equipment home and leave it that way. Some of my equipment doesn't even have a switch for on/off. Think of it this way, a light bulb blows out when you turn it on - not while you're reading the newspaper. You do read the newspaper; don't you? Heating and cooling wears out components faster than siting at idle. Make certain you have a good surge protector.

jayb
Unregistered guest
Well Iv'e got the surge covered, I just wished that when u turned on a woman she'd stay on all the time aswell!

Thanks J.

BTW can u check out that sub question for me, i'd appreciate some input.

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 34
As J. Vigne said, some equipment have no Power Off. I can think of a few Class A solid state and valve components whose cases stay warm to the touch even when they are not in actual use.

Aside from perhaps a few extra dollars in your electrical bill, leaving solid state on should not damage it.

That said, be sure components have sufficient ventilation on your rack or entertainment center... I learned this lesson the hard way some time ago...

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Tevo - If you're asking for assistance with the sub question referring to women, I'm not the person to answer that inquiry. You might want to email George Clooney or the like.

jayb
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input both of you!

NOW, the question that ceases to be answered.
If my receiver has one sub out (RXV-2400) and I'm running 2 subs from a 1 into 2 coax splitter, am I sacrificing LFE calrity, response, volume etc.
Please give me an answer someone.

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 36
I am knowledge deficient with regards to HT/Multi-channel & subs... can't help you with this one.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

99.999% of the time, you will sacrifice nothing with your present arrangement.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us