Monitor/bookshelf: $1000/piece...

Username: Henkxs

Post Number: 1
I'm an old fashioned 2 channel stereo lover and I'm looking for a new pair of 'fine' monitor speakers. The speakers gonna be driven by my Vincent SV236 hybrid amp and Vincent S6 cd-player.
I already heard the Quad 12L, Acoustic Energy AELITE 2, Polk Audio LSi9, Totem Rainmaker and Paradigm Monitor 5 and I'm still not impressed.
Has anyone 'the golden tip'?? The max price I wanna pay is $1000/piece.

PS. I live in Holland (Europe) and I think the Green Mountain Europa is not imported here.

Bronze Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 18
Hmmm... those are some fine speakers you listed.

Triangle Comete ES? They should mate well with your rig and are $1,000 USD/pair. Also PSB has some fine monitors in this range.

If you want $1,000 USD per speaker... perhaps ProAc Response 1SC? There is also Thiel but I am not sure how accessible this brand is to you in Holland.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 341
Hen

Here in the UK, the direct competitor to the Rainmaker is the Dynaudio Audience 52SE which is a fine speaker for similar money. I take it $1000/piece means $2000/pair (since that's what Rainmakers cost hereabouts)? The Dynaudio is worth a listen.

Another option would be the new Naim N-Sat which is £950 including stand. It needs to be up against the wall for bass reinforcement, but it is a cracking fun speaker to listen to.

A third option that I rate (especially if you want a slightly clinical, fast, sound) is the AVI ProNine Plus. It's similar money and very capable indeed.

Finally, if you want a warmer bigger presentation, there's always B&W 705s. Slightly more money than the Rainmaker but same ballpark. Very capable indeed.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 342
Incidentally, there are others in this price range from PMC, ATC, Sonus Faber, NHT and all have their aficionados...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 49
take a look at the Paradigm studio 20's. They are much more refined than the monitor 5's.

Gavin

StuartNADfan
Unregistered guest
>> I take it $1000/piece means $2000/pair (since that's what Rainmakers cost hereabouts)?
---
Ouch! Rainmakers run $1100-1200 Cdn, or approx $900-1000 USD per PAIR in Canada.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the tips so far. $1000/piece means $2000/pair (USD)indeed.
The speakers I wrote about aren't that expensive all. I only wanna say that I want to do the shopping for that price...
Who knows the JMLab Electra 907BE?? Makes it sense to gonna hear them?

Username: Wigglyman

Post Number: 8
Also check out Amphion (Helium 2 or Argon 2)...these are from Finland and should be available in Holland... and the Spendor s3/5 SE .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
ok... if $2000 a pair.

look at the Paradigm Signature S2. They are $1900 to $2200, depending on the finish.

Here is a link to a review.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_signature_s2.htm

The review ends with these phrases:

With soaring and sweet highs, beautifully articulated mids, and punchy power in the bass, they're overall as flawless a bookshelf-sized speaker as I've heard.

Paradigm has fashioned a state-of-the-art bookshelf classic that is the benchmark by which other minimonitors should be judged -- and costs around $2000 per pair.

If you've dreamed of owning a best-of-its-type loudspeaker but never thought you had the money to do so, times have changed. The Paradigm Signature S2 is for you.

Post Number: 3
What a warming respons. Based on your suggestions and the reviews I read I wanna make a shortlist of 3, max 4 speakers, and hear them next weekend (if possible...). What is your comment on:
- Paradigm Signature S2 or Studio 40
- Amphion Helium 2
- ACOUSTIC ENERGY AE1 MK3
-----------------------------------------------
Question: does sombody know something (price, reviews) about the Avalon Studio Pro???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
if you can take a look at some floorstanders AT ALL....

look at MartinLogan and Magnepan if your amp can drive them. They have a sweet, smooth, seductive sound that will prove to be an "eargasmic" experience

MartinLogan makes some models that can go on stands. They sound outstanding with their planar drivers, and throw a positivly HUGE soundstage.

If you can, try to audition their flooratanding models as they are dipole.

gavin

StuartNADFan
Unregistered guest
If you're not impressed with the Rainmaker, try the Totem STTAF. They're floorstanders but they're very small and actually give you more flexibility for positioning, unless you absolutely have to have bookshelves. I'm going to the STTAFs with a NAD 320BEE, 542 and 442. Cost is below your budget. If you've got lots of power, try the Hawks, but the STTAF is more similar to the Rainmaker you tried in terms of power range.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 831
Hen,

I was in the same position last year. A lot of people are throwing out a lot of names of truly fine speakers. My short list came down to the Quad 12l's, the Dynaudio 52's, and the Spendor S3/5. For me the Spendors won hands down. I think you owe it to yourself to give these little gems a listen. One of the most accurate speakers to be found at any price IMHO. Good luck!

Username: Wigglyman

Post Number: 10
Rick,

Just curious why you went with the S3/5 and not the SE version? And are you running those with a sub?

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 833
wigglyman,

I have been around this hobby 30+ years, and most of the time a SE/special edition model does not live up to the hype. The S3/5 has been around and has it's roots deep in the classic BBC sound. So why take a tried and true sounding speaker, and put a little hotter tweeter in it? Aren't you getting away from the sound that got you where you are? I didn't think it was an improvement. I have a sub for HT, but run the Spendors without for 2 channel stereo listening. It doesn't go deep, but it's very fast and articulate down to about 60Hz.

Cheers!

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Hen, though they may not be sold in your area, the GMA Europa is the best monitor these ears have heard, hands down. They now offer the Europa max at around $1600/pair that are an improvement over the original Europa in clarity, efficiency and low end response. They also have the new Calisto priced slightly higher than your $2K range, but worth every penny and then some. 6 Moons.com will soon have a review on the Calisto's....so look for that. The Europa max uses the Callisto's drivers in the Europa's cabinet, which is cast marble (read: no resonances) and 45 lbs each. Roy from GMA tells me they are pretty amazing. I'm sure you could order them factory direct. I have heard the S-2 Paradigm, and they in no way compete with the original Europa's let alone the new Europa max. Make no mistake, these speakers are good....and I mean REAL good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us