DVD changer vs. CD changer

Username: Sjlee

Post Number: 1
I need to replace my CD player, but I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a CD carousel or a DVD carousel.

My current DVD player works great, but is older (over 5 years), unable to play photo CDs (JPGs) and is not progressive scan. On the other hand, it seems that CD carousels go for about the same amount as a DVD carousel.

For a dedicated CD player, I'm looking at the Yamaha CDC-585. For a DVD player, I'm looking at the Panasonic DVD-F87.

If anyone has any opinions on these or has any other recommendations that would be great. I don't need cutting edge technology, but I want a quality product that'll last.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

I recomend you look at rotel cd/dvd players they are some of the best pricy but www.wurlitzerstereo.com

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 32
Either the Yamaha or Panasonic will do a competent job, especially if all you intend to watch are commercial DVDs. However, if you also might watch some "homemade" versions, you might consider certain Sony models which will play all formats. Panasonics will generally not play R/RM+ and may not play RW-. I always say, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. On the other hand, Fred Sanford probably said the same thing and look where it got him.

Username: Sjlee

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a Yamaha DVD-C750. A little more expensive than the CDC-585, but now I can get rid of my old Toshiba DVD player. In addition, it'll play SACD format as well as photo CDs, which neither my old DVD player nor any of the CD players could do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us