Annoying high pitched vocals sound....

Bronze Member
Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 44
Im not really sure what to call this as Im still learning. Ive spoken to gregory about this but I thought I might as well ask here...
Mostly when I'm watching movies I hear a sort of bright or high pitched sound - distortion for lack of a better word. It seems like it does it more as the movies progress but this could be in my head... No one else even notices it except me and its ONLY on voices not instrument - instruments always sound amazing. It doesnt JUST come form the center channel as I turned that off and gave it a shot.. Again its only for split seconds and only when a voice crosses a certain frequency... Some ideas were that it could be coming from resonation from my basement walls... But still Im just wondering what you guys think of this...
Again here is my set up
PE 45tx Reciever
PE 47ai DVD Player
MA S8 fronts
MA Silver Center 12i (NOT THE SLCR)
And just some old regular yamaha 6ohm bookshelf speakers for surrounds - for now...
Let me know what yall think
Thanks
Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 192
Sgtpeper: if you can reproduce this at will -- you know... a certain part of a movie -- then move your speakers away from the wall 6" and try again. If you still hear it... turn them 10-20 degrees in a different direction.

If it goes away, or changes pitch (frequency), then it's the room!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
...And if it doesnt? :-)
-Jeff

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
It could just that you hear harmonics that no one else hears. :-) Just kidding. If it's caused by items in your room... re-resonating or just responding to the harmonics... then moving the speakers should cause it to "move" or to go away.

If it doesn't go away... :-( I was hoping that it's something directly radiating the sound. Glass tables, other hard materials which may reflect or resonate (metal, etc). Who knows. I'm not that good with room acoustics and surely can't help you with that if it is the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
But you dont think it has anything to do with my system?

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Hey Sarge: yeah, it could just as well be your electronics with some sort of strange noise in the signal. I would figure that reorienting the speakers (especially away from the "potential" source -- even though you don't know what it really is) would elminate, attenuate, or accentuate it... IF it was something in the room.

Short of moving speakers around... the other culprit could just be some spurious harmonics coming from the electronics.

Bronze Member
Username: Air_force_one

Post Number: 11
Make sure your not having any ear problems as well. I'm not being sarcastic. Small hearing losses can change the way "sound" sounds. A quick way to check is to hold the phone to your ears and switch back and forth and make sure the dial tone sounds the same in both. If only one ear is/if affected you may notice a difference. I doubt it's your problem though it's easy to try this. I had a temporary hearing loss(5-10%)once that caused voices in movies to seem very bright/distorted.

Anonymous

Related (?) question. I have the Marantz 5300 and just set up this receiver with my speakers. Music sounds fine, but when watching a DVD, I can only hear the background noises and none of the characters' voices in the movie. What did I do wrong?

Also my remote seems to only work to change the volume of the receiver, all of a sudden. Two days ago, all buttons worked fine. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 66
Anon: the voices should be the main work of the center speaker. Do you have it set up and running? Check your OSD. Also, on the remote, make certain you hit the "amp" button before trying to influence the amp. I am not a big fan of the Marantz remote.

Anonymous

The center speaker is up and working properly for music.

OSD?

I dunno on the remote. I will put new batteries in it today, but not sure that is the culprit. I was wondering if I hit something that limited the functions or use of the remote to just volume? It won't even power the receiver on and off or let me get to the menu set up.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 67
OSD = on screen display. You need to set up your speaker distance and levels through the OSD. Your center channel may be too low. Check the manual.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us