JBL Northridge

Username: Hailandkill

Post Number: 1
Anyone have experience with these speakers, the JBL E90 to be specific? I really like the specs and price of them. Any reply will be appreciated.

Username: To4ho

Post Number: 2
They sound big and bold with a very good deep bass and can go very loud. I've tested them with some drum&bass, they were the only speakers who pased the test at high volume all the others couldn't handle the bass correctly. Only the mids and highs of the others were better with some smoother music.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 74
Yep, the JBL Northridge series are excellent speakers that don't cost you a fortune. Both E90 and E100 sound very good with tight bass and silky high. When use with the EC35, you would have a decent HT speaker system that sounds so good and can handle lots of power. If you don't already own an EC35, a caution for you, though, that you'll need a separate rack for this monster. You don't want to put this 22-lbs bad boy on top of your TV. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 574
I've auditioned the speakers - but found that, while they have a very good "California" sound, they are not suited for the music I listen to - classical, jazz and opera. They are bright, clean, bold, and bass-y - and for rock, pop and even jazz, they will put out a sound-wall of which you can be proud - if you don't go deaf!

As you did not mention your music choice, I must be careful in answering. But for rock and pop - yep, they're purty impressive!

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 92
john how much do you want to spend?

Post Number: 2
Well, I plan to buy my speakers over the next few months. Most likely the Northridge e90's and e20's for rears, and pick up an EC35 ( :-) ). Still undecided about a receiver. I guess my budget could go up to $1000. I want to focus on very good fronts first then add the rest.

Post Number: 3
Oh one more thing, a friend of mine is basically doing the same thing as me, getting great fronts first, then adding the rest, except he is interested in these:

http://www.fluance.com/fluansmblac.html

Anyone ever audition these speakers? Thanks for the replies.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 94
Sounds like a good plan i have all most the same one but just upgrading my older JBL's. I know you only plan on spending 1000 but if you were to save up an extra 100 you could go get a pair of HT4V http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HT4-L7&Langua ge=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

I've had mine for about three weeks and they opend up my sound stage and made my sweet spot bigger. The bass is amazing, very tight but needs to be crossed over at 80HZ with a sub. For the highs theres not a word for it, except perfect

You might of heard that JBL is bright to the ear but I asure you that this line is not!

For them blending in with the Northridge series its not a problem. I have the E20,E10 and you can't even tell that there there even though there direct speakers

Godd Luck!

al-mel
Unregistered guest
not sure of the 1000$ bracket - seems high?
check out the price in germany for northridge speakers - prices are euros

wonder what the shipping cost is?

http://www.hifi-regler.de/shop/stand-lautsprecher/seite_11.php

Post Number: 4
No, no, no Cory. Sorry I meant to say $1000 total for all of my speakers including surrounds and a center. This is why I chose JBL Northridge series. Pretty much looking for a budget home theatre, without skimping on the fronts. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 98
Not a problem John. But are you aware that the JBL90's are sold as each and not as pairs? Are you willing to buy the speakers off of ebay?

I'am going to need to know a few things before I can recomend any thing, sorry if they seam nosy.

Whats the size of the room?
what you plan on doing with it? EX:movie80%/music20%

What kind of setup you want 5.1,6.1,7.1
Do you plan on pissing off the neighbors?

hope to hear from you soon...

Post Number: 5
A store near me has the JBL E90's for $400 a pair. My room is about 20x18. It's not a home theatre room, tis my bedroom. And I want to drive the neighbors crazy =). I don't really know what setup I want. My percent breakdown is about %60 music and %40 movies/games.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 99
Ok,
I would like you to have 7.1 set up because it gives a better immatation of what the producer treid to create by surrounding you in 360 degrees of sound and helps reinforce the sweet spot. I did 5.1 set up and a 7.1 setup I took the prices from JBL web site so you maybe able to find them for less.

EC35($350) will work perfectly with the E90($400), For the surrounds I would go with the E30($298) but if theres no room to put them on stands and there less a foot away from you sweet spot I recomend the E10($198) because they are easy to hang on the wall and radiate the sound 180 degrees. Totla $1048

The E25($250) will work here but I recomend the E35($350) because I believe that it is less harsh,but once again it comes down to cost and your tastes.For the surrounds I'd go with the E30s($298) because they create great tight bass that wont over power the E90's($400) and for the surround backs id go with the E30's or E10's its just a matter of how much bass you want. There both made with the same tweeters so it won't make a diffrence on the high end.

The 7.1 build as follows
E90 (mains)
EC35 (center)
E30 or E10 (surr)
E30 or E10 (surr backs)

costtaly E90$400,EC35$350,E30$298,E30$298=$1346 not bad for prices off JBLs site

other option E90,EC35,E10($198),E10($198)=$1146

If you have any other qeustions or comments or even why I went with a sertain speaker just post or email me

Good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I normally check prices on ecoustics.com and often found very good deals. I recently got an EC35 for my brother for around $145 shipped.

PLAN B
Unregistered guest
I bought my JBL's off this site for much cheaper

http://www.digital1234.com

JBL EC90: 377 pair
JBL EC35: 129
JBL E10's 200 for two pair got them at http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com

7.1 system for $706.00

That's alot less than your 1000 total. Of course that is not adding shipping but it's not much more.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Yep, I also got the EC35 from digital1234.com @ $129 plus shipping so it's ~ $145 shipped.

Username: Mike_6289

Post Number: 1
dont get the e20 as rears... their air ports are at the back, get the e30 with the air ports at the front

Post Number: 6
Thanks for all the quick replies. Is anyone on the east cost, particularly New Jersey? If so, know any stores close by that would have the E90's on display? I've searched around, closest I found was PC Richard and Son in Brooklyn.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Best Buy carries the E80, E90, and E100. I believe your local Best Buy should have the E90's on display.

Post Number: 7
Oh yeah, didn't even look there, thanks. I guess now I need to decide on a receiver.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 100
well, how much you want to spend on a receiver?

Post Number: 8
No more then $400 I would guess.

PLAN B
Unregistered guest
I'm sorry but Best Buy is the Worst Buy, you'll end up spending hundreds more.

Post Number: 9
I'm not planning on buying from Best Buy. I will most likely order the speakers online. Also, I've found a Yamaha receiver for $150:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3978689

It is 100watts per channel which should be enough to drive the 110watts rms E90's. What do you guys think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Yep, I knew you planned to go to a local store to test drive a floor sample. That Yamaha is a good 5.1 receiver for a small room. However, its 103Wx5 power output rating is measured at 1KHz @ 6-Ohms so for 8-Ohm loads @ 20-20,000Hz, I believe it would deliver no more than 75Wx5. Since you can save some money by getting the speakers from on-line stores, why don't you just spend a little more than $150 on a better 6.1 receiver such as the Pioneer VSX-D814-S (silver) or VSX-D814-K (black). It is about $250 shipped from many on-line stores and you can get more info from this page:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0%2C%2C2076_4153_60702355%2 C00.html

It can put out 100W-RMS x 6 @ 8-Ohms and has the latest Dolby Prologic IIx decoder besides Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. It also has Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System, which helps you optimize the sound for your listening room.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us