Denon THX Reciever or Not

Unregistered guest
Can anyone help answer this, Denon AVR 3805 seems to be a great receiver at a reasonalbe price, Compared to the futuristic 5805. The 4806 is due out in Mid April, other than DVI/HMDI Switching, Do you really need a THX Reciever? The 5805 is out of price range but the 4805 comes close and the 3805 stands out big time. But can it peform well enough with THX.

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 20
Or you could look at the Pioneer elite vsx-56txi for about the same price as the 3805. It is THX certified, and has 2 usb and i firewire input. It is a heck of a receiver. Can be found on line for less than $1000.

I looked at the 3805 and was impressed with some of what it did. I bought the vsx-54 (couldn't afford the 56) due to someone's sage advice about remotes and features. the 54 had the features I wanted and the remote made much more sense to me.

In fact I have never programmed a remote before, and this one took me less than 15 minutes to get all my electronics in it. I highly recommend the 54, but since money is not as big a concern for you, I say go for the 56!

By the way, most people emphasize the fact that THX is mostly a test of the capabilities of the receiver, instead of what the receiver adds. I have read that there is minimal post-processing associated with THX, but most people seem to feel this is insignificant. But then again, what do I know

Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 3
I know that if i close my eyes and listen,i can't tell if something is THX or not so for me,THX carrys no weight.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 30
I agree, THX was the "Have to Have" feature of years past but means very little now.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 149
One more vote for THX not being important. My last receiver (Onkyo 701) was THX Select Certified. I don't miss not having that feature.

I have a Denon 3805. It's a great reciever. (Audioholics.com Reciever of the Year for 2004, Sound and Vision Reviewers' Choice Award for 2004,CNET Editors' Choice Award.)

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 19
Hard to beat Denon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us