Help With Buying Monitor Audio Speakers or An Equivalent

Username: Pluribus

Post Number: 1
Okay, I decided on what I wanted. I was excited as the decision alone took months. I set out to get some Monitor Audio B4s. But . . . I live in the Baltimore area and there are NO Monitor Audio dealers here. I am having no luck locating a dealer in this area that carries B4s. The closest is in Rockville (1 hr away, on a good day). Monitor Audio does not allow online sales (or mail order for that matter). Are there other speakers that are of that quality (and match well with the AVR630) in that price range ($500)? Thanks in advance.

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
Take the time and drive that hour. MA are some of the best sounding speakers for your hard earned money. I love my Silver series 6's.

craigbrowne
Unregistered guest
You can get Monitor Audio online from www.downtownaudio.com, but they don't have the B4 listed on their site though. You might give them a call and see if they can get them for you. They are actually in Reisterstown, but are mail order only. Decent discounts. I have not used them so cannot vouch for service level.

Post Number: 2
Fab 5 - I should have written that 3 of the 4 dealers listed on the Monitor Audio site are out of business or don't actually carry MAs. The 4th dealer doesn't carry the Bronze line, and was less than excited to order them. I even called the distributor in Canada to find other alternatives. They, also, were less than helpful.

Craig - I wonder why downtown audio doesn't appear on the MA site. When I called the distributor, the distributor didn't mention them either. Strange. Anyway, I'll give them a try.

Thanks for the responses.

Bronze Member
Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 31
I got my silver series really cheap at aboutgizmos.com about two months ago. Double boxed and everything. They were very helpful and nice. I'd order from them again. BTW- these guys aren't authorized dealers, but they had a good return policy.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 305
Pluribus:

Again, I suggest you call Kiefs, which is an authorized MA dealer and offers 20% discounts. Since you don't have an MA dealer in your area, mail order is your only option if you want the B4s. Call them (get the number form their website--www.kiefs.com), and talk to Ed, the audio store manager (x109).

If you want other options, check out speakers from Mission, JMlabs, and Klipsch for your H/K (nice receiver, BTW).

Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Larry D, Hawk,

Thanks for the advice. I would strongly prefer to get a warranty with the product. Buying from non-authorized dealers forgoes a warranty. Check out MA's North America distributor's response to my inquiry.
"Hi David,
Other than the 4 dealers listed on the electronic dealer locater we have ITG in Columbia , MD (410) 995-6304 as a Monitor Audio dealer.
Alternatively we have three custom installation partners. These places may not be traditional retail outlets but handle our products for the home automation market. They are
American Automation, Anapolis, MD (410) 573-0800
Lifestyle Technology, Timonium, MD (410) 308-9850
Sound Advice Audio Specialties, Salisbury, MD (410) 572-5623
Unfortunately Monitor Audio does not indorse any internet sales and therefore any products purchased from this avenue do not carry the manufacturers warranty.
I also regret that I cannot tell you which dealers are stocking the Bronze series and those that do not. Our records only indicate if they have ever purchased these products through the years.
I hope that these additional references allow you to gather the information you require to make a sound decision.

Regards

**name deleted*
Kevro International"

BTW, None of the dealers in my area (very loosely defined aparently) carry the Bronze line and would have to order it. None appear to offer a significant discount (say $50 off list). My quest continues.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 307
Pluribus:

This is why Kief's does not offer purchase over the internet--you have to call them (thus, it is not an internet sale!). But they are an authorized dealer . . . Call them and see what they say.

Post Number: 4
Hawk,

Legally, mail order and internet sales are treated the same (i.e., technically, purchasing mail order would not carry with it a warranty either). The purpose is the same, ensuring that MA products don't become Circuit City-ized (it's what I was told). If MA or the distributor finds out that stores are selling to people through mail order, the stores may lose their relationship with MA (also what I was told). Also, being an authorized dealer is important, but make sure that the manufacture honors the sale, b/c MA told me that speakers sold via internet or mail order are not factory authorized sales and not covered by a warranty. Total BS.

PS I ended up buying through a "local store" in another city where I have a relative. The relative "bought" the speakers as a "gift" for me. It's one legal way around MAs silly rules, because the speakers were bought locally. Crazy and unnecessary, but true.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 209
I have never had a problem getting a warranty from mail order. I have always used the "It was a gift" line if it looked like there was going to be a problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us