Difference betw WMA and mp3?? (from technophobe)

HollyM
Unregistered guest
I'm shopping for a new mp3 player since my Lyra 1020 bit the dust. I notice the new Lyras are Windows Media compatible which is good as I don't want to mess with MusicMatch ever again.

But it looks like WMA format allows more songs (4 hours on the 128mg v. 2 ours w/ mp3). Someone please explain. If I use Windows to copy my own CDs onto my player, will it be WMA or mp3??

Also - I'm thinking about the Lyra 1028. Any comments? I really liked the size and features of my 1020..until it crashed, that is.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2613
WMA is a proprietary microsoft music encoder, but it is not an mp3.
If you have an mp3 encoder you can also put more songs depending on the type of compression you want. 128, 96, etc., the more compression you use, the more music you can have.
If you have a microsoft windows media player you can usually encode songs in the wma format and you can also use different types of compression.

There have been a lot of propblems regarding the Lyra and their customer service is virtually non existent. If yours crashed, find another player. The Rio is also good or maybe even the iPod.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us