NAD T 773 semi-review

Air Force One
Unregistered guest
I received my 773 last week and have fallen in love with it. I upgraded from a kenwood HTB that cost 250 bucks so it wasn't hard for the 773 to impress. It did however exceed even my expectations. It has way more power than I'll ever use, and I mean POWER. I've had it up to +3 and had NO distortion of any kind, it did however make my ears ring pretty bad so I won't be doing that anymore. I watched pearl Harbor and when the zeros fly over I swear if I reached up into the air a plane would take my arm off. To me the biggest improvement has been the soundstage. I can't tell the sound is coming from my speakers anymore, it comes from everywhere. If someone wants more specific info , let me know.

Now the bad news. Before I start I want to be clear; The issue I'm about to discuss WILL NOT lead me to return the unit. It is worth mentioning in the interest of "full disclosure" as I wouldn't recommend the unit without including it.

The dreaded hum/buzz.

Here's the deal, there is some kind of LOW level noise emminating from my woofers. I'm not talking about the slight white noise heard through the tweeters. It's a buzz/hum and is audible from my listening position when TRYING to hear it. Before I did anything I took the unit out of the box and connected only one speaker and nothing else to test for this. It was there and I began connecting more speakers and it continued with each speaker. When I say audible from the listening position I mean when a movie is paused. Only twice have I heard it during a movie. 1. Breakfast Club. A pretty quiet movie and when things got real quiet it sounded like they were always standing under flourescent lights. That's exactly the sound the unit makes. To verify it was the unit when I could hear it, I'd pause the movie and anything not encoded on the DVD should stop. But the buzz wouldn't. 2. Stripes. Again, during quiet scene when they visit the recruiter in the beginning. Again same thing it was as if they encoded the sound of flourescent lights into the movie but they didn't. I have yet to hear it with a 5.1 movie going. For some reason even background "noise" of traffic or the wind blowing is enough to eliminate the buzz/hum, even during the quietest of scenes. I did some testing and found if your listening to dolby 2.0 or anything that doesn't use ALL your speakers you might hear it as the center and surrounds aren't being used but still buzz/hum. I shut those speakers not being used off and that made it better.

Personally I believe complaining about this is nitpicking. Like I said I've heard it twice from my listening position with movies that I didn't buy the unit to listen to anyway. If however you are considering this unit for a dedicated home theater you might want to take a second look because in a soundproof room this sound would be quite a bit louder. That's the reason i'll be keeping it. The normal sounds of the house cover it up more than anything. I literally cannot hear it if the PC and such are on. I had to go around and unplug both refrigerators, turn off both furnaces, turn the PC off and my 40 inch tube which has a hum of it's very own. Only after turning all these things off could I even begin to listen for it. Besides at some of the volumes I listen at, my ears are quickly acclimated(sp?) to not being able to hear much that isn't above a whisper.

Also, the fans make NO sound nor does the actual 773 box itself.

If you guys want more about how I tested for this and came to my conclusions let me know.

I want to repeat I will NOT return the 773 as it's so far and above in performance in comparison to this buzz/hum. I figure it's either normal for my sensitive speakers(93db)or they'll fix it. And if they don't fix it? I'll still keep this unit hopefully for many years and live with hearing the buzz/hum once in a great while.

Username: Air_force_one

Post Number: 1
I just registerd.

Post Number: 2
Man, is there any way to edit for spelling??

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 86
AF1,

Congrats on your new purchase! I know that your 773 will offer many years of enjoyment for you. That thing is a hoss.

Best way I know of to edit for spelling is to type your postings in a word processor and then do a cut/paste into the message box.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 23
I just bought a T773 which I coonected this weekend and share your joy!

After reading many posts around here on the dreaded humm I checked mine and fortunately I DON'T hear any humm. I paused a DVD connected via coax and had to put my ear right up to the speaker to hear a very very slight hiss. I'm talking my ear right up to the tweeter. Standing right in front of the speaker or anywhere else in the room I hear nothing.

I will say I was very careful in routing my speaker wires in relation to AC power cords. This can certainly be a contributor. I kept them separate and there is only one place where the come near each other so I assured they crossed at right angles. Just as a point to look at in assuring they don't run in parallel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
...and I don't hear my fans at all btw...

Username: Dabluz

I purchased a new T763 from Saturday Audio last week.Had everything hooked up by sunday and made sure my power cord did'nt cross any other wires.It also exits my cabinet by itself and plugs into a outlet filter.
It sounds awesome, no hiss,hums,or fan noise(unless I stick my head in the cabinet).I still have to fine tune with SPL meter,but so far no worries.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 11
i'm considering the 773. what is a realistic price expectation, and what is a reliable, authorized, low price dealer either near nyc or nationally via phone/internet? i believe msrp is 1700-1800 and i hope to pay significantly less. thanks.

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 183
AIR FORCE ONE,

You may find the cause with a bit of experimentation, and be able to eliminate it. I found a long subwoofer cable passing nearby lighting induced a hum, and it stuck- that is, you had to reboot (loosing all presets etc) to kill it, even with the original cause turned off. This was with an older model, NAD T760. I do not know how to reboot a T773, it will be posted here somewhere. Give a while, and see what you can do. You have the warranty if the problem gets worse.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 91
bigfan,

In general, for newer items, you can expect to get at the most 20% off MSRP. The best place I can think of to get an NAD is Saturday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com). It is located in Chicago, but does take MANY phone orders (no internet). I bought an NAD T762 and some PSB speakers from them and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. They had excellent customer service and they are an authorized dealer. I emailed the owner of the store more than a dozen times and he always responded very quickly. I ordered the unit on a Tuesday, and had it in my home by Friday. I have also heard that Kiefs (www.kiefs.com) is a good place to buy NAD as well. I have never bought from them, but Hawk just bought a 753 from them and he was VERY pleased. They are located in Lawrence, KS (home of those dreaded Jayhawks) but also take phone orders. Niether Saturday Audio nor Kiefs lists their prices on the internet, so you would have to call to find out what they can offer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
$1799 is the MSRP and since it's new discounted prices may not be prevalent. Regardless, make sure you buy from an authorized dealer or you will NOT have a warranty. There is a place on the NAD website to search for authorized dealers. If you have a lead on a good deal you can verify that they are in fact an A.D. Good luck.

John A,

Thing is though, I didn't connect ANYTHING to the 773 except the left front speaker and plugged the 773 into the wall. No DVD player or anything. I've tried different outlets to no avail. When doing this I was well away from the "theater area" to avoid possible interference or ground loop. My 250 dollar Kenwood when hooked back up is silent nomatter what mode or hookup arrangement. On the other hand, the 773 buzz/hum is audible in any mode, be it digital, or analog, or the tuner. It's even worse with the rear speakers as some have reported around here. As I connected the rest of the speakers one by one it continued with each speaker. When hooked up completely the buzz/hum does not become worse, but is in fact audible at times. Some have reported that the noise does not become louder with volume increases, however, the reverse is true. When you lower the volume to a normal listening level the hum/buzz is not affected and becomes audible. Again this was audible simply by turning the 773 on connected to one speaker, no need to input any source. It continues when any source is input, be it DD,DTS,SACD,CD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
AF1,

As I said, I had to reboot to get rid of it, even when the source had been eliminated. That makes the source difficult to trace, of course. Sorry I do not know how to reboot for your model.

I would consider taking it back. You may be overwhelmed with the great sound, but it sounds like you will evetually not want to live with the hum.

TC Smith had a detailed post on a problem with his T752
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/5654.html

I have contacted NAD and they have asked me to reset the system by pressing both the "video" and "tone defeat" buttons simultaneaously for 5 seconds to perform a full system reset.

The display is to show "AH RESET" when I am done.

I am then to turn off the receiver using the hard push button and then turn it back on.

The next step after that will be to systematically turn off any unused speakers (back surround) and size the other speakers accordingly since the settings I have input will have been lost with the reset.

...but I think his problem was from the DSP software. reset may be different for T773. Undoubtedly there was a bad run of T752s in this regard. You could also contact your dealer, and NAD (by e-mail - they respond). If it is software, your T773 is much more easily upgradable, and it might even be possible for you to do it through the RS232 port. But the T773 is still a new model, and maybe there is, as yet, no known issue, so it would need technical diagnosis.

BTW on my T760 reset is: push power button off; change AM step switch position; power up.

Post Number: 2
John A,

I've only posted a couple of times and you already know me! Your right, this hum is starting to bother me as everytime a scene goes quiet I find myself listening for the hum/buzz rather than watching the movie. I've considered the reboot option but figure I'll wait for advisement from my dealer/NAD. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to give him a listen. I'm actually willing to go through some hassle to get a non-buzzing unit as the sound is amazing. About e-mailing NAD however, I've e-mailed them SEVEN times and have yet to get a response of ANY kind. I contacted them before the purchase with a question and once while it was en-route and 5 times since without a single e-mailed reply. The last time I e-mailed them it was because their website won't let me register the warranty, I e-mailed with the problem I was having and nothing. I still haven't gotten it registered. I really appreciate your help. I'll post back tomorrow with the results from testing at the dealer. I will say the only thing I haven't tried is throwing the main breaker to see if the problem is with the wiring in the house but if I throw the breaker I've got no power to test for the hum.
I guess we'll see tomorrow, thanks again.

Scott M.
Unregistered guest
JDG:

Just curious but I was wondering what speakers you're running with that bad boy?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Paradigms - Monitor 7 Fronts, CC-350 Center, Atoms and Titans for the rears. I bought the Paradigms in '97 when I bought a Yamaha RX-V2092.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
AF1,

As I've said here before; "There is no such thing as 'a little hum'". It is a fault. Zero tolerance is the only way.

Please report back. There have been other reports, here, of hum with the T773, unless I am mistaken. You will be doing many people a service if you share what you discover.

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
AF1,

I always obtained a prompt response (1-2 days) from:-
NAD Webmaster <webmaster@nadelectronics.com>

They refer you first to your dealer, quite reasonable, and take over if you do not get satisfaction.

Great movie you inspired, by the way...

Post Number: 10
John A,

Don't worry, I won't be one of those who doesn't come back and finish the story. I hate that.

Went to my dealer today and they were great so all will end well I think.

I read that about the cropduster. Made me feel a little better believe it or not.

Thanks for your help and I'll be back next week with more info. Later.

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
AF1,

Great. Stay with it. NAD take some care with their dealerships.

Anyone mystified by AF1's cropduster reference, it is from the movie Independence Day, go to this related thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us