2-Channel Receivers: HK 3480 vs. Onkyo TX-8511

Username: Jczorna

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
I've decided that I'm going to stick to a 2-channel set up. I'm just wondering which of these two is the better receiver. The HK has more power according to the specs, but I've heard it is short on bass. I don't have a sub and don't plan on getting one, but I don't want my system to lack bass sounds. However, medium to high frequency sound and clarity of sound are important too. Which receiver would be better for me?

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 223
The HK is not a problem with bass if your speakers are able to deliver the lower frequency range acurately. There is a bass and treble control on the front panel too, if your so inclined to adjust the sound that way.

My HK3480 is in a 11'x14' room and can play very loud with a nice, full sound. A very good receiver for the price (US $300 shipped).

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 72
i will agree with bluestar. i also have the hk you are thinking of buying. first of all, the thing with japanese companies is that they more or less inflate their wattage ratings for their recievers, with that in mind the onyko you are looking at most like has about 70 wpc in a real world situation. what i mean by real world is that more than one frequency is being driven on both channels. HK on the other hand is actually very faithful with their ratings so you will get very close to what they advertise. i dont know much about the difference in the tonal abilities of the recievers, but the hk sounds fine to me. like bluestar said, the bass can be covered if you get the right speakers like towers.

edster922
Unregistered guest
The HK also has a subwoofer preout, I don't think the Onkyo does...this to me would be a HUGE factor if I were shopping for a 2-channel receiver, since most speakers that can deliver the bass quality anywhere near a subwoofer are likely to have lackluster mids and highs unless we're talking VERY expensive speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us