Which to use - crappy PC or crappy CD Player?

Machewitt
Unregistered guest
I have recently inherited a pair of Athena AS- B1's and an ancient (but quite cool) NAD 7150 Stereo Receiver. This is my first remotely serious system (I'm 15).

I've decided to hook this system up in my room at my computer desk. I really enjoy my music and I'm looking for a way to bring the best out of the speakers and amp.

Thus I am faced with a dilemma: Do I use my very low end PC (and mp3 player) or my very crappy old Akai (CD-A210) CD-player (keeping in mind that most of my CD's are mp3, converted from mp3 or at the very least, burnt) as the CD player.

Which will give me the best sound? Is the difference in quality so tiny that it is irrelevant?

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this subject along with any thing u can tell me about the amp and speakers as I am truly and completely a NOOB.

nout
Unregistered guest
Why not connect both on your receiver? (nice receiver by the way)
I think your receiver has enough inputs to connect both of them (both AUX and TAPE inputs can be used)
Just find out what sounds best and if your Akai cd player is having problems with reading some MP3 files you still have your PC to play them for you.
Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 607
Your computer can be a high class source - if you add m-audio 2496 sound card -
http://search.ebay.com/m-audio-2496_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZmQ2daudioQ202496

Download for free "foobar" player to get best sound - google search for it.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 253
Well, Machewitt, only your ears and pleasure centres can be the judge of what sounds right.

I will say that I've found CD drives coupled with sound cards in computers to be very poor music makers. This is all relative to the quality I have heard in my own kit though. I have a very old Technics SL-P550 2DAC/18bit player which knocks the spots off the inards of my PC.

Certainly, the software that helps the digital signal along to your output generally chews the sound until it's almost digested before the sound card spits it back out at your amp. Generic sound cards and flimsy connections will never beat the sound of a dedicated player. Remember - the least amount of processing and circuitry your signal has to travel, the better your sound. Upgrade the sound card, pay more for the drive and you might well end up with something better than your Akai player. In the short term, I'd be surprised if it's any worse sounding at all than the PC route. Maybe slightly better, if anything.

James....
I had 'Foobar' installed on my system when I first purchased it, but could never work out what the hell it was, even. In your experience, what does it do for your sound? I'd be interested to know.

Cheers,

V

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us