DON'T BUY SONY

Username: Eternally

Post Number: 2
SONY is a waste of money.
SONY has poor service and poor quality.
SONY has good camcoder, but SONY TV are shyt!

babs
Unregistered guest
RIGHT!

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 16
Whatever

Username: Collin007

Post Number: 1
Which planet r u from? ET... GO... HOME....

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_6289

Post Number: 23
we know.. go tell someone who cares

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 122
Dont have a problem with them,not first on my list but never a problem

Anonymous

i think they make very nice tvs although often lacking in options and features the picture quality seems to be second to none. there audio however... thats a different story.

Username: Sudden

New Delhi, Delhi India

Post Number: 2
Sony is a a technology monopolist & aimed at maximum market exploitation. Facts evidence that they were very slow to incorporate MP3 formats into their systems - only when they were getting left behind by other competetiors. They also do not put forth the next development into their systems untill their current stocks worldwide have juiced maximum return. We all should understand that Sony is substantially overprized or resort to niche marketing strategies which is not geared to delivering the latest technology but holds ground with hyped about differentiating features that is their game model to draw attention and capture markets.

Unregistered guest
My opinion hasn't changed:

Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 07:38 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>In sales revenues, Sony ranks as the 36th largest company worldwide, $64bil. Pioneer Corp. checks in at $6.5bil. Philips essentially dumped Marantz, now owning only 17%. Denon/Marantz is majority owned by Ripplewood, 70% interest, an equity investment operation (shark) which created the Denon/Marantz entity, D&M Holdings. Previous financial results have probaly not been stellar for D/M, in turn because Yamaha, Sony and a resurgent Harman Kardon are kicking their mid-fi rear ends.

Which brings me back to Sony:
>Don't own Sony receiver; the alternatives
have better sound and power for the money
>Own 4 year old Wega flat TV; to my eyes, the
picture was better than JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic
>Own inexpensive Sony CD player as a transport
to my NAD; depending on the source, sometimes
prefer the analog Sony DAC's as they have
more treble air and detail. Some have
commented on this board (and others) that
NAD DAC's can be a bit "cloudy"
>Own Sony Mini DV Handycam; the performance
of this gem has exceeded the best in class
Reviews over JVC, Canon and Samsung
>Walkman has served my family well

Editorial/Consumer Reviews are widely available on many Sony products; from dvd/sacd to computers, many, not all, are very good.

If the SACD issues continue to gall anyone, you're entitled. On the other hand, it's Sony's prerogative to market any proprietary formats and products they so choose with the obvious goal of dominating their markets. Wal-Mart, Merck and Microsoft have every intention of "monopolizing"; every boardroom in the world schemes to manipulate and dominate their best interests. So do individuals, so, big deal.

In the end, the consumer votes with their wallets on whether or not Sony will win or lose.

To date, they apparently have in droves to the tune of $64,000,000,000.

Username: Dxironman

Post Number: 9
i've never had any problem with Sony except for with my PSP. their TVs are great, so are their camcorders. i'm not crazy about their dvd players, Pioneer is the best

Samuellel
Unregistered guest
I have been giving this a lot of cinsideration and I can't make up my mind. What are your thoughts?
Which one has a better deal Dishnetwork or Directtv?

Username: Sudden

New Delhi, Delhi India

Post Number: 3
My Comments to the propogated statistics that have been posted about Sony -

Very reflective of a artificially fabricated reply.

Sales revenues, 36th largest company worldwide -

Simple that leaves 35 other manufacturers offering a better array of products backed with a very advanced & flexible technology.

$64bil. Pioneer Corp. checks in at $6.5bil -

Grossly incorrect if you go by the stats posted by the Company page and other available reviews.

Philips essentially dumped Marantz, now owning only 17%. -

The fact remains that they gave us the first CD and the above is a branding strategy followed for seggregating a brand Marntz primarily for the their know-how in amplifier components and integratedly set-up audio delivery units.

Denon/Marantz is majority owned by Ripplewood, 70% interest, an equity investment operation (shark) which created the Denon/Marantz entity, D&M Holdings. -

This is not of concers to the consumer or the end user which is primarily interested in the end product. Denon is an undisputed leader in individually designed and hand - manufactured wooden (teekwood/ Hardwood finish)speakers, infact the point of their product is that each and every speaker is hand-crafted individually. Now Sony has recently been shifting to a very common Japanese strategy JIT(Just-In-Time) followed by Japanese manufacturers that has lead them to adopt modified plastics or bulk produced factory moulded rasin that produces a very light weight fabricated speaker enclosurers. The sound emitted out of these enclosurers is far inferior to the wooden Dennon speakers.

Yamaha, Sony and a resurgent Harman Kardon are kicking their mid-fi rear ends. -

Is a baseless truth and both Yamaha and Harman Kardon are both pioneers in the feild of High-End Audio. Yamaha extends out to very sophisticated concert equipment and Harmon Kardon is needless to say a basic when it comes to putting together professional amplifiers that go beyond 200-275 ohms delivery per channel upto 16 channels at a countinious & uniform power handling capacity.

Which brings me back to Sony:
>Don't own Sony receiver; the alternatives
have better sound and power for the money
>Own 4 year old Wega flat TV; to my eyes, the
picture was better than JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic -

Wega is outdated technology and the shift is towards High definition 3-dimensional digital.

>Own inexpensive Sony CD player as a transport
to my NAD; depending on the source, sometimes
prefer the analog Sony DAC's as they have
more treble air and detail. Some have
commented on this board (and others) that
NAD DAC's can be a bit "cloudy" -

YOU CANT BEAT THE FACT THAT A SONY PURCHASE CANNOT PLAY Video FILES - MANY OTHER MANUFACTURER LIKE I-river, Archos etc offer mpeg playback capabilities.

>Own Sony Mini DV Handycam; the performance
of this gem has exceeded the best in class
Reviews over JVC, Canon and Samsung
>Walkman has served my family well -

Akhiko was a true revolutionary from the Sony family (read his autobiography "Made in Japan") but down the generation line Sony is not a match for specifics that JVC ( for Handycams), Cannon (for IT products and digital cameras), Samsung (for its very economical range of Whitegoods and computer peripherals). So the bottom-line is that all the mentioned three are treading out into various technologies that give them the edge to deliver their specific specilities very unique and different from Sony, probably at a horizontal level no comparision.

Editorial/Consumer Reviews are widely available on many Sony products; from dvd/sacd to computers, many, not all, are very good. -

To the conturary if only the it is researched very carefully it would open up a Pandora's Box that needlesss to say would bring various unknown facts to light.

If the SACD issues continue to gall anyone, you're entitled. On the other hand, it's Sony's prerogative to market any proprietary formats and products they so choose with the obvious goal of dominating their markets. Wal-Mart, Merck and Microsoft have every intention of "monopolizing"; every boardroom in the world schemes to manipulate and dominate their best interests. So do individuals, so, big deal. -

The threat is not of the / or from the Company/their product but in their STRATEGY, which hampers & intefears with free markets operation that function as per consumer pulse, but all of this is superceeded by the facts that at times Sony has followed of strategy of holding back new products or technology till the time they push out or offload outdated technology/products, all of this is at the cost of the consumers who are buyers of their products and invest in their products.

In the end, the consumer votes with their wallets on whether or not Sony will win or lose. -

Yes the general trend is that their a genuine shift towards newcomers offering TRUE VALUE IN ABSOLUTE SENSE and the other existing giants that warns the older bullies to be beware as it is a BUYERS MARKET WHERE THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT AND KING.

Anonymous

Man you need to relax. I think most audiophiles will admit that Sony doesn't make great stuff. BUT they DO have some sort of massive partnership with Best Buy. If I need, say, a $49 dvd player for my cabin, instead of spending hours online looking over specs and comparing prices, I just go to best buy and pick up a Sony. It might not be of greatest quality, but I know that if it doesn't work I can have a new one within an hour, and they are easily to use because I am accoustomed to the Sony Interface. Just as Bose gets sales from effective advertising and selling to inexperienced buyers, Sony has become the most well-known name to inexperienced buyers, in basically all electronic categories (speakers, TV's, etc.). So while maybe you don't agree with how they run things over there, you HAVE to respect them because they run one of the slickest operations around.

Anonymous

I bought years ago a Minidisc for 699dm (=arround 350euros), everything was fine and my sister, who has it now is still happy and no problems. I bought the first net md from sony for arround 330euros and thought it will be best quality like the one before but only problems.(ok soluted during the warranty time but not nice) Now after the time of waranty it only read sometimes mindisc and never write them anymore. 350euros for 2 years music, very expensive!
Sony and Quality is a problem since the last 3years if you ask me. Not only at Minidiscs. But Camcorder are really good if you want to say so :-)

greatings from europe... (poor english, perhaps, but less time at the moment...)
p.s. also had quality problems with sony cd burners for example and the service ist really not good
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us