Hey Audiophiles, How About A PSB/HK 3480 Combo?

Username: Audiomania

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 6
I have PSB speakers ordered and now will match up a stereo 2-channel receiver. I am pretty much sold on an HK 3480. I believe they are both good products in their own right, butI would appreciate hearing audiophile opinions on the PSB/HK combo. Thanks very much.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 537
Glenn,

In my opinion, while as you say, HK and PSB are wonderful in their own right, I feel that they do not make a good combination. PSB and HK both exhibit a fairly warm sound, so paired together, the sound can be too warm and may sound even a bit muffled. In this, I mean that the mid-upper sounds will be lacking...at least this is my experience. But, as I was saying in another thread (someone asked about this same combo), let your ears do the deciding. What is "warm" to me may be perfect for another. You must also keep in mind that things like room size, speaker placement, floor covering, window coverings, furniture type, etc. can also greatly affect the sound of audio equipment. So, my best advice would be to try to arrange a home demo. Who knows, in your environment, the combo may be just what you need. If you like the combination, then don't worry about what anyone else says.

Also, some other suggestions. For PSB speakers, I would suggest you check out NAD. I have an NAD surround sound receiver paired with PSB speakers and I absolutely love the combination. PSB and NAD are owned by the same parent company, so to me the combo seams natural. As far as I know, NAD does not offer any 2 channel receivers, but their integrated amps are superb and are very highly regarded in the audio community. Also, their A/V receivers are known to be wonderful for 2 channel music...so you could buy one of these which would leave you the possiblity of upgrading to surround sound in the future. Just some suggestions to ponder.

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 8
Johnny, thanks for your opinions, both personal and professional. I'm a little scared of NAD because of many posts I have read of users having various problems with them. I'm not knowledgeable AT ALL audio & video issues and the thought of having problems really bothers me. I have read many excellent posts on NAD too, but it HAS been a mixed reaction, and I don't like my chances of being one who has problems. Another issue that I am going to have to deal with soon is the slection of cables for the PSB 7PT's that I have coming and whatever receiver I end up with. I have no idea what to be looking for. Urrgh!

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 538
Glenn,

There have been some posts about quality issues regarding NAD receivers (I think this issue has been grossly overstated at times--but that is for another thread). However, I have not seen ANY negative postings nor heard anything negative in regards to NAD's 2 channel gear. For whatever reason, the amps/integrated amps seem to be bug free.

What kind of problems are you having with the cables?

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 9
Johnny, Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I'll take a look at what NAD has in 2 channel receivers. I believe their hardware is more expensive though than Harmon Kardon, and not nearly as classy looking, but then I'm getting into the realm of opinion there. Johnny, I don't even know the difference between pre-amps, amps and integrated amps! Regarding cables...thanks for asking...I don't have any cables yet, and I know it is going to be confusing when I start shopping. There is such a range in cost and types of connections...it's intimidating. Thanks again for your help in educating me.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 539
An integrated amp is basically like a receiver, only it doesn't have a tuner...so you can't get radio. If you are simply using it for CD's, tapes, LP's, etc, then you won't know the difference. If you want to be able to listen to radio, then you would need to add an external tuner (NAD's retails for $299). The NAD C320BEE retails for $399, the C352 $599, and the C372 $899. All can likely be found much less than that at various places. I guess "classy looking" is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the "no frills" look of the NAD, but that is just me. I am not trying to talk you out of getting the HK...just giving you some other options to check out. Better to learn about other possiblities before you buy rather than later.

As for cables, just get some decent 12 gauge speaker wire and you will be fine. With only a stereo amp, space on the back of the unit shouldn't be a problem, so you shouldn't have to worry about banana plugs or anything of that sort.

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 222
Glenn,

I have the HK3480 and really like it for a cheap two channel system. I use it in my bedroom and find it to be easy to use. I have paired it with the HK dvd22 and Infinity beta 20 bookshelf speakers on 30" stands.

I have not heard the particular PSB model you are referring to, but let your ears be the judge.

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 10
Bleustar,
Thanks for your input. If I get the 3480, I was considering the HK FL8385 CD player. However, I did read a post elsewhere about the HK 22 like you have and the HK 31, which is similar. I'm glad to hear you like what you have. The PSB 7PT's are "powered towers", and are about 40" tall x 9" wide x 20" deep. They each have two 6 1/2" self-powered woofers, a 6 1/2" mid bass, and a 1" tweeter. I'm just hoping that whatever I choose for a receiver can drive them well. I felt that by having them partially self-powered, that I might not have to worry quite so much about the absolute power of the receiver I choose. Thanks again for your post to my question. Johnny has been very helpful too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us