Second Hand

Username: Selecta

Post Number: 1
I have a budget of around £400 to get some second hand seperates.

I need:
Amplifier
Tape deck
Cd Player
Grahic Equaliser
Tuner

Would it be best to buy an all in one system or better to buy these seperatly? If so can anyone recommend anything for my budget?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 225
I don't know if you are still here, Stewart.... But in case you are, here's the simple answer.

The second one is best, without doubt. All in one systems are not Hi-Fi, they are like music centres, only with more lights and gadgets.

Forget the graphic equalizer. The myth that they improve the sound will be immediately smashed for you when you hear a good seperates system without one in. They are, in fact expensive gadgets, designed to make a bad set of components sound less bad. In many cases, they can even make it sound worse.

For £400, you should do fairly well for seperates. My advice is spend as much as possible on amp, speakers and one source and add the other components, such as tape deck and tuner later when you've saved some more cash.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but your budget should get you started in quite some style.

Good luck,

V

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 226
On the second hand market, if you can get all of these for around £100 each, here's my run down of good makes to look out for.

Amps - NAD, Rotel, Marantz, Dennon, Sansui, Sherwood, Creek. The older JVC amps can be quite good, actually. Make sure you spend more on this component. It's the heart of the system and you want it to last.

Tape decks - NAD, TEAC, Aiwa, Dennon. I love Aiwa decks - they are sweet and well built.

CD Players - NAD, Cambridge Audio, Arcam (might be pushing it, but good luck!). I have an old Technics model I bought used for £30 and it's still going strong.

Tuner - Beats me, never bought one, so I won't comment.

V

Post Number: 2
Nice 1, Looking at amps to begin with, I can push to £250 for one (and pre amp?) but have four excellent floorstanding speakers (one in each corner) but the power-amps I've looked at only have 2 channels. Anyone recommend anything decent with 4? or should I not go for a power amp?

Post Number: 3
Just to give you a better picture of what I have:
DJ Setup:
2x Technics 1210MK5G
Pionneer DJM600
Citronic Station 5 channel mixer (a meeting point for all my other components)
Phillips CD Recorder
Roland SP808 Sampler
Roland MC909 Groove box
Roland Midi Keyboard
Dell PC
Klark Teknik Graphic Equaliser (Rackmount)
Klark Teknik Compressor/Limiter (Rackmount)
4 X Mission Floorstanding Speakers
Kenwood Amp (being replaced hopefully by the recommended amp)
Kenwood all in one stacker system - recently blown the amp which was needed to power all the other components I had (Tuner/Graphic/Tapedeck etc)

In this case the Kenwood system was for my monitor speakers and I used the Graphic for its visual frequency display not its equalising features.

Any ideas on the amp?

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 229
"In this case the Kenwood system was for my monitor speakers and I used the Graphic for its visual frequency display not its equalising features."

THAT...is the most incredibly honest thing I've ever heard anyone say on the subject - LOL! Thanks. I don't blame you - they do look good :-)

I get it now, you are using it as a guide for your levels?

I can't really help on the amp side of things, as I'm only really used to 2 channel setups.

But I wonder - I am looking to set up a DJ system and wondered what is the best kit to look out for second hand? Amp and speakers needed. Check the appropriate thread, if you have any comments.

Thanks,

V

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 232
Personally, if I had £250 available for an amp, I'd go straight for the NAD C352, brand new, even with it's one speaker-set limitation. It would more than make up for the lack of two channels, with it's excellent sound.

Yamaha AX396 (Amplifier) has 2 sets. I take it this is what you mean by 2 channel? You can get this brand new for £149 - that's if you don't mind an integrated amp.

"Yamaha's latest entry-level amp, "has all the right credentials ...it will go loud and deliver hefty bass when needed" according to What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine. H: 150mm W: 430mm D: 390mm"

V

Post Number: 4
Sorry should have said 4 channel, but you guessed right anyway. The graphic was for getting optimum recording levels across the frequencies (and looked nice!)
I dont mind an integrated amp as long as It gets the most out of my speakers (200w x 4). Will I get skinned alive for even suggesting linking them in parallel or series into a two channel power amp?

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 247
Probably not. I asked the very same question here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/119411.html

I have rigged the extra speakers in series; front to back. It's going to take some critical listening to determine if the sound quality has been affected, other than the extra prescence coming from behind.

V

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 248
In addition, speaker a speaker hookup box has been suggested to do it properly in parallel. So yes, it can be done.

V
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us