Best small sub???

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Looking to pick up a 'small' sub- and have seen the sunfire jr. and the supercube-- but have not auditioned yet. Will be used in a >50% theater setup.

How would these compare to say- a Hsu VTF-3,comparable SVS, (though larger) etc.?

Really trying to minimize the size. Are there any I should look at?

Bronze Member
Username: James_s

Post Number: 27
Have you checked out the Velodyne?? if not I strongly suggest that you check out the Velodyne SPL II series, they come in a 8" 10" and 12" sizes. The dimensions of them are 10.75" x 10.375" x 13", 12.75" x 12.375" x 14.5, and 14.75" x 14.25" x 16.375" respectively. They have a minimum frequency level of 28,24,and 22hz respectively. And if you were looking at a sunfire jr. these are definately in your price range. so I suggest checking them out at www.velodyne.com

Bronze Member
Username: Medpilot

Post Number: 11
I'm running a Polk PSW 202. $199 at CC. I don't know how it compares to the other subs, all I can say is that I'm very happy with it.

I'll be upgrading to an SVS though I probably don't need to. I've got the Tim Allen disease.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 258
Blues:

You can get a Velodyne SPL-800, which is a superb sub, and it is just about the same size as the Sunfire. It is really tiny, and the performance approaches the Hsu Research subs. Comes in a beautiful wood finish, too. Should cost you about $699. Call Kiefs (www.kiefs.com).

Hope this helps.

Username: Sssand2

Post Number: 4
Blues,
You might also want to check out the Onix Rocket UFW-10 found at www.av123.com. It is approximately a 13" cube and is very fast and musical. Looks good in the rosewood and black too.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Thanks All- will check them out. Hawk- I may be following your footsteps a bit- and mating it w/ a Nad T753/63 receiver. Still debating b/t the Nad and Marantz 7400 though.

Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 7
I've got the Carver Sunfire True Sub Junior. I had a severe space requirement. The Jr is a 9" cube. To give you an idea of how tight the space was, I couldn't put the rubber feet on until I got them into the space. They are great sounding. I've got the crossover set to 100 and adjust the volume differently for movies and TV. For movies I dial the volume up a bit and for TV leave it at about half. The Marantz 7400 lets you adjust the sub in relation to the other speakers as well. The Jr has the capacity to rock the whole house. My wife came running downstairs one day I was experimenting to see if there was an earthquake.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
So- Is the Sunfire the way to go?

Username: Lorrin

Post Number: 2
I recently auditioned a Sunfire Super Junior and thought it sounded poor. It was an amazing amount of output coming out of a little box and not only was it loud but it went deep too. Some other customers were very impressed. Now, I don't really consider myself an audiophile -- I've got a M&K V-100 at home, which I acquired thanks to good advice rather than discerning shopping. It was obvious the Sunfire sounded nothing like the M&K - the notes were all there but you couldn't distinguish when it switched from one note to the next or really hear what the instrument sounded like. And by "instrument" all I mean is the synths on the CDs I brought (some big beat and some hip hop). I imagine listening to jazz would be even more dissapointing.

The guy told me his store used to sell Velodynes as well but he stopped carrying them because they keep breaking. He's got a whole hoard of customers he sold Velodynes too that keep having problems. My understanding is it's a problem for him because the store eats the repair costs when the mfr warranty is up. Sweet deal for the customer! These were HGS subs sold a few years ago.

I've crossed Velodyne and Sunfire off my list and I'm curious what's left in the cube department. The Paradigm Seismic sounded excellent but is expensive. Anyone out there that was unimpressed by the Sunfire but pleased by something from REL or by a Definitive SuperCube?

One thing I will say about the Sunfire -- I hadn't realized that the passive radiator moves in phase with the driver. That's a neat trick, but perhaps the cause of the muddiness -- I imagine the radior doesn't move exactly the same way the driver does, because it seems to me the only way it could move in phase w/ the driver is if it's weighted down so that it ends up resonating. (Right?) So parhaps the Sunfire Architectural series, which has no radiator, would sound better. However my theory can't really account for the Paradigm Seismic sounding so good -- anyone know if its radiators move in phase w/ the driver or not?

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 16
Sound is a very personal thing. The combination of the room, other speakers, the amp, preamp and source all effect the overall impression. I mounted my Sunfire 6 inches from a wall but facing horizontal to it. In that position it works for me. But I'm in a 16' high vaulted ceiling room with glass windows along one wall and wrapping around the sides. Also with a stone floor to ceiling fireplace and three skylights. Not your best environment for a home theatre. I've heard a lot of subs that also sounded good or better. Totem has a small sub that makes big sound and looks beautiful. The SVSs have been praised as have the Velodyne. Check out one of Hawk's posts where he names 5 subs that you can't go wrong with. ...and there are probably more. It really means getting out and listening to them with your own sound CD that you know very well and seeing how the different boxes handle it. Find a good dealer that might let you try your top two picks at home and see what turns you on.

Half the fun of this hobby is the looking and selecting!

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_s

Post Number: 27
Does anyone know anyting about AV123.com Rocket subwoofers? They have two: SW-10, 200W for $299 and UFW-10, 500W for $599. Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Also, I guess from the comments that the lesser Velodyne speakers that Circuit City sells (CHT series) don't compare well to their SPL II series or to the HSU or SVS subs? Joe

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 61
Velodyne SPL II is going to give you a better sound than their CHT series.

SVS and Hsu are going to give you best value. The SVS PB1-ISD dimensions are: Size: 18" wide x 21" high x 20" deep. The dimensions of the new Hsu VTF-3MK2 are 22" height x 15" width x 23" depth.

Even with these dimensions, I think of my Hsu Subwoofer as a friendly end table that can shake the room, my house, and the two houses attached to it without breaking a sweat (less than 1/4 on the volume dial).

Peformance, I measured 92.5 SPL at 16 and 20 MHZ yesterday even though my receiver is at -20db and the dial on the sub is set below 1/4 volume.

I'm sure SVS will yield equally impressive results, so it's just a matter of preference.

Username: Xtremeht

Post Number: 7
Velodyne would probably be your best bet. They make very capable small subs!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I came across Adire Audio Rava subwoofers on another forum, and I wonder if they are in the same league as HSU/SVS? THey have a $399 version and a $599 equalizer version, both with 250W and sealed 12" drivers. THey are only 18" cubes, too.

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio/loudspeakers/exact_series/rava.htm

Miguel
Unregistered guest
Do yourself a favor. Find a little more room and fit in a RSW10 from Klipsch. For output it Kills the Velodyne and from the reviews the others as well. Truthfully the Klipsch isn't as tight but not to an unpleasant degree. The passive radiator design rather than a port keeps the response quicker than the Behemoth subs that its output makes you think it is. Sound Pressure and depth are scary. took 2 months to break in but then Bass nirvana (or nervosa if you watch the cat's reaction). Everyone I suggest these to thank me afterwards.

Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 8
Depending on the amount of money you are looking to spend, the new Paradigm Seismic 12 hits like a sledgehammer! Very small at 14x14x14...1200 watts RMS and goes down to 17 hertz....sound is different than my Servo 15, but 1/2 the size also! Good luck!
Shaun

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Slowly but surely piecing my system together. Currently running a Nad T763 receiver, a pair of Dynaudio 52's as mains (thanks Hawk/ Rick for your suggestions), Pioneer 563A as cd/dvd, and Boston HD5V's for rear surrounds (will replace these w/ Dynaudio 42's at some point- when I can find a deal).

Next on the list is to replace my Polk PSW-350 sub. Looking hard at the Hsu VTF3-MKII- however, I'm still not satisfied with the large footprint. I do like everything I have read about performance though.

I don't necessarily have a space constraint- other than I don't want a big, bulky (bigger than the polk, anyway) black box sitting on the floor- however, I don't want to pay $1,500 for a sub.

Based on running Dynaudios w/ the Nad- is there any clear choice or narrowing down of the field? Maybe a happy medium to consider- preferably something in the $800 price range that meets peformance- and isn't a behemoth - that I might be missing?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Blues,
If you haven't read this sub shoot-out, you may want to. The person who did this has no affiliation with any of the tested subs, just wanted to get the information out. Included in the comparison is the Aperion S12, Rocket UFW-10, and HSU VTF-3. Here is the link:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=576244&page=0 &view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Blues,
I just remembered that Secrets has just reviewed the Rocket sub as well.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/onix-ufw-10-subwoofer-5-2004.html

Bronze Member
Username: Vulture99

Post Number: 18
This thread is interesting to me as I'm in the same situation as the original poster. I really wanted an SVS, but it just won't fit nicely into my room. The best place in my room for a small sub (max 14" wide x 13" deep) is in a corner directly behind one of my PSB 5T towers. In addition to being in a corner, the sub would also be directly adjacent to the entertainment center. So, basically it would be surrounded on all sides - just not "walled in" on the side where the 5T sits.

My question is: would this placement be ok for a small sub like the Sunfire True or the Rocket UFW-10? Is there any danger of it interfering with the 5T, or vice-versa?

My primary use (> 80%) will be listening to music. The speakers are being driven by a NAD T763.

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Mike,
You can try it, but I'm not sure that will be the ideal location and may make the sub (any sub) boomy. Since you are listening mostly to music, you wouldn't, necessarily, need the corner reinforcement. Depending on your room layout, you may be happier with the sub placed elsewhere (even behind your listening position).
Here is some interesting reading on sub setup that may help:
http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3418

Bronze Member
Username: Docdat

CopenhagenDenmark

Post Number: 72
If you can get them at a reasonable pricepoint, the B&W ASW675 and up are great subs. The ASW675 goes very low, but is incredibly fast at the same time. It might be a bit "too HiFi" for some HT people, meaning it's not made to play a lot of rumbling indistinct bass.

If money is no objection, I'd consider a sub from the Velodyne Digital Drive series. They are impressive!

Anonymous

i need a small sub for aesthtic reasons and I am considering the supercube 1, the seismic 12, the sunfire, the james emb-1000, and the earthquake supernova. Is there anyone here who has gone through this process and made a decision? All of these subs are similar in price and size, so i was hoping for some feedback.

Anonymous

Anon,
Velodyne SPL 800 Series II is awesome!

huntergriffin
Unregistered guest
Thanks Anon, I will check it out. The paradigm Seismic 12 is probably the front runner for me right now just on what I've read and the fact that it is new, so I would assume the folks over there have taken into consideration the good and bad from all the other companies that have made these high-wattage mini-cube type subwoofers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us