Surround decoder question

Unregistered guest
I have a question hopefully someone can answer. I have a home theater receiver with built-in Dolby Digtal decoder, but not DTS. My question is, if I buy a DVD Player that supports DTS decoding (even though my reciever doesn't have DTS decoder built-in), will it play in DTS format?

Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 7
Your receiver must have analog 5.1 inputs to accept the analog 5.1 outputs from a DVD player that has built-in DD/DTS decoder. Then you need to select 5.1 direct input on the receiver to enjoy the DTS sound decoded by the DVD player.

Nick11
Unregistered guest
Do you mean with digital coaxial cable? Sorry, don't understand.

Post Number: 8
Nope, since your receiver has no DTS decoder, the only way to get the DTS sound from the DVD player's decoder is via the analog 5.1 inputs. You'll see in the back of a DVD player that has built-in DD/DTS decoder(s) there are 6 RCA jacks labeled "5.1 outputs" or something like that. The receiver also needs to have analog 5.1 inputs. They are 6 RCA jacks in the back of the receiver labeled something like "5.1 Inputs". You then will need to connect the 5.1 outputs from the DVD player to the 5.1 inputs on the receiver and select the 5.1 direct input option on the receiver in order to listen to the DTS sound decoded by the player's decoder. You can't get DTS sound from the coaxial or optical inputs on the receiver because your receiver can't decode DTS from the raw signal.

Nick11
Unregistered guest
Oh, I guess DTS is out of the picture since I dont have the analog inputs on my receiver. But, I am planning on buying a new DVD player. Does it matter if I get DVD player with Dolby Digital decoding or not since my receiver supports dolby digital already?

Post Number: 9
Unless you're gonna buy a DVD player with DVD Audio or SACD capability and plan to use it with a newer receiver with analog 5.1 inputs, it doesn't matter if the player has a built-in DD decoder (after all, your receiver doesn't have analog 5.1 inputs anyway :-)). Players with no built-in DD decoder normally cost less.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
If your receiver has no DTS then it is probably an old receiver and you probably do not have the anlog input for DVD DTS format. If I may ask, what kind of receiver are you using?

Daniel
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us