Replacement cartridge for EB101

ca_convert
Unregistered guest
I have an AR (Acoustic Research) EB101 turntable with the AR arm fitted (not the Linn Basik as a lot did). I have an ageing Linn k9 cartridge that needs replacing - any ideas? I dont want to spend more than £60 (the K9 was about £90 12 years ago)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Ortofons and Grados should work well.

Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your reply Jen, but I would be grateful if you could be more spcific? Which models, and what are the sonic differences?

I had some experience of Grado years ago, and it was pretty poor (it was a cheapie that came with the tt when I bought it). I have also used an Ortofon years ago with a Dual CS505 that I had as a student.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

ca - To do a run down of all the different models available and the sonic differences between all of them is a rather tall order. One reason I find Ortofon and Grado to be good recommendations is the consistency of their sound. If you like an older version of either you will probably find the current line up to be to your liking. Same if you didn't care for the sound. I think you would do better if I simply directed you to these sites for now and let you browse. Descriptions of the sound of most of these cartridges can be found either on the website or in reviews of certain models. It has been my experience that both sellers offer very good service.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/ck.ACCT106601_216394810102320031 8066418971095768396_5587940739f/cktime.17782642/sc.2/category.574/.f

I don't remember offhand who made the K9 for Linn. I believe it was Supex. You can find out by calling a Linn dealer. If you liked the sound of the Linn, you might try another cartridge by the same manufacturer.

Anonymous

I have enjoyed the EB101 with Denon dl110. DL160 is about the same, but more expensive.

Unregistered guest
The Audio Technica AT95E replacement stylus will fit onto the K9 body and sounds almost as good, at a tenth of the cost of a new cartridge!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us