Paradigm performance series

Anonymous

are these type of speakers a good match with the NAD amp? and if so which model NAD will be best suited with these. speaker. also if i use floorstanding for the fronts should i use surrounds like the ADP-170 or the Focus bookshelf for the rear speaker is there any differance. Thankyou

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 186
Anon:

Paradigms are a wonderful match with NAD amps. One of the very best combos.

As for which NAD, you need to tell us how big is your room?

Rear surrounds are a matter of taste. I believe the ADP-170 is a "di-pole" speaker. That means they each have a double set of drivers that are out of phase with one another. This gives a broader soundfield in the rear as nothing is focused. Some people really like di-poles, some prefer bi-poles (also a double set of drivers, but they are in phase), and some prefer directional speakers (Focus). It is all a matter of personal preference. You should try them out before buying to see which you prefer.

hedonio
Unregistered guest
Great combination!
NAD owns PSB. The PSB alpha series is another option (they have more options that the paradigms performance series). If I have to do it all over again, for my second setup, I will choose (my favorite) the paradigm atoms (4 of them) with a NAD amp. They are rated at 50w (very clean/dynamic sound) 89db. The only down side I see is the cc170 center channel (is suppouse to be matched to the 5 1/4" driver of the performance series). Users complaint about the lack of bass extension. However, the sound of the cc170 is very clear and detailed. I will try 3 pairs of atom in a 6.1 configuration. Why not?

Currently I'm using PSB image series (7.1 configuration with Onkyo 898) in my first setup and, with great results, 3-athena AS-C1 (front/center with marantz sr7400) and 2 AS-B1 for surrounds in my second set up. The athena audition series are also canadian design speakers and are a great bargain!

Username: Mackie

Post Number: 2
I had a NAD integrated with Paradigm mini-monitors for my 2 channel system for many years - that was a great combo. The smooth NAD controlled the somewhat bright, forward paradigms very nicely, without comprimising any of their great clarity and detail capabilities, and made a huge improvement on their priviously boomy bass.

My current HT setup uses atoms, cc270, cinema surrounds and a PDR-10, powered by an Onkyo DVD receiver. I'm not as picky about sound in my HT system, if I was I would have fought for atoms all around (the cinemas are there for their size), a bigger sub (again, a size consideration) and higher quality electronics. Still, given that I paid ~$1300 for the entire setup, including cables, buying everthing brand new at retail, I am frequently impressed with the sonics. I think it has mostly to do with the Atoms, they really are amazing little speakers.

Anyway, back to your system: the paradigms are very efficient speakers, any of the NAD models with 50wpc should be plenty. You could get away with less power if you don't listen at loud levels. A system with something like phantoms in front with atoms or adp170s in the back, a cc270 and pdr12 driven by a nad av receiver - dam you now I want to upgrade :-) - should work nicely.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us