Decision Time

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 31
I have until the end of Sunday for the 15% off on Pioneer Elite and Denon 3805 receivers and I probably won!t be able to do an in depth listening test between now and then because the one place that I have found up to this point that has them in the same room has a problem with the switch board. I could probably get the price afterward at a specialty dealer although I don!t know for sure but they do not offer 2 year no interest financing which I want to take advantage of.

The other store where I put a down payment on speakers has a 10 day return policy which is better than the 7 days that some offer but it is really not enough to even break in the speakers when you have a busy schedule. You really need more time to evaluate them. I need to buy everything all at once so I can evaluate the whole system. I wish I could buy speakers at the same place also but prefer the ones in another store.

Another tough call is a VSX52TX or VSX54TX I would like to go for the VSX56TXI but for almost $1300 dollars most people would recommend the Rotel receiver that I have not heard but some people think is bright. It seems like the Elites all have the same power supply some with bigger capacitors and a few different bells and whistles, I am not sure there would be a big sound difference between them. I suppose the VSX52TX would probably suit my needs but I get greedy and want the bigger and better.

I am still trying to make up my mind on the tv. This will be in the upstairs of a small cape. I would love a Toshiba DLP but I would have to split 5 feet from tv to wall on each side so that is 2.5 feet minus the width of the speaker and you split the distance from the speaker to wall and the speaker to tv so you would end up with about just over a foot on each side between the speaker and wall and speaker and tv with my current speakers I am buying. A lot of speakers do well placed farther from the wall than that. Even if I go with a 34 inch Sony crt I would have about 18 inches between the speaker and wall and and speaker and tv. Also 4 1/2 feet up the wall on each sifde of the room slants out and up to become the ceiling so I bump my head 22 inches out from the wall. I like the bipolar speakers but do not think it is the best room enviroment for them. I know not everyone has speakers set up to the ideal recommendations either. I know without actually seeing it is hard but I would welcome comments on what you think about the tv and speaker options I mentioned for for the room description.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1034
What speakers did you buy?

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 34
I put a downpayment to hold Def Tech Powermonitor 500 bookshelf speakers with a built in powered subwoofer because I did not think the room would be the right situation for the bipolar speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1037
Great choice. As a former Def Tech owner I can say I think you will be very happy with them. I really like the DefTech/Elite combination and the 54 would be a good choice and certainly will drive the DefTech's to their max. I too have a room that I feel doesn't lend itself to bipolars and if i ever go back to DefTechs would likely go with the PowerMonitors. Please let me know what you decide and your reaction when you get everything set up.

Username: Pteshallow

Post Number: 7
I know have the pioneer elite 54 and a pair of Def Tech 7006(soon to be 7002 or 7000) Very nice combo. Sharp bass from the three 8 inch woofers per speaker and excellent power from the 54. Good combo. You can read my other posts on the elite54tx for further info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us