Music Hall MMF-25/NAD c542/Cambridge 640c

Anonymous

Has anybody compared Music Hall 25 with NAD c542 and Cambridge 640c, preferably with NAD c352 as the amp? I'm looking for a $400-$550 dedicated CD player to run with NAD c352 and (currently) a 14-year-old pair of Mirage 260 bookshelf speakers (these will be my next upgrade).

The best prices I've found so far on new equipment are $399 for NAD, $479 for Cambridge and $540 for Music Hall. I have no problem of paying a bit more for the Music Hall if it's worth it -- but is it? I don't have a NAD dealer in the area, but I think I can get to listen MMF-25 and 640c.

I'm a bit concerned about the humming some people have complained about with 640c. Any comments on that?

Thanks -- I'll appreciate any comments and advice.

ca_convert
Unregistered guest
I have just spent the last 2 months buying similar gear.

I started with the Cambridge 640 a amp and 640c cdp.

I now own the C352 and C542....reasons why briefly:

I like the NAD sound, and found the 640a too light for my tastes. The 352 is actually more dynamic, greater clarity and way more ommph.

The 640cdp is very good, but I discovered a problem with mine in it started skipping tracks that every other cd player in my house played ok (including portables etc), so i changed it for another new one, but same problem. Two days ago I changed it for the 542 and its a huge difference. I have a pair of B&W DM303's and this combinations sounds massive. Im amazed at the detail off the 542, but more impressive is how musical it is. I am a vinyl lover but this thing really sounds sweet.

Check What Hi-Fi Jan edition though since the cambridge 540 amp and CD player (not even the 640) combined with the diamonds was better than the 352/542 into KEF Q1's
IMO WHF has become the most inconsistent magazine lately, but it is another opinion. Personally the 542 is much better in every area than the 640c but then the 640's i had quite possibly were not set up (aligned) at the factory

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Music Hall hands down. If for no other reason than it's easily modded and hugely upgradable. Also look into the modded Toshiba 3960 cd/dvd combo with the super clock3 upgrade. You might be suprised, no make that scocked what this little gem can do sonically. Toshiba runs about $600.00 fully modded.

mauimusicman
Unregistered guest
Music Hall hands down. If for no other reason than it's easily modded and hugely upgradable. Also look into the modded Toshiba 3960 cd/dvd combo with the super clock3 upgrade. You might be suprised, no make that schocked what this little gem can do sonically. Toshiba runs about $600.00 fully modded.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us