Bookshelfs: Jmlab chorus 706s, Monitor audio bronze B2, Energy C1/C3

Username: Freshfighter

AntwerpBelgium

Post Number: 2
Hi all,

I'm searching for 2 new bookshelves, to be used in a classic 2 channel setup an mainly used for music. Willing to spend 350-400€ or 500$). I mostly listen to rock and singer/songwriter stuff. My primary choices were:
- Energy Connoisseur C1 or C3 (300 a 400€ per pair)
- Monitor Audio Bronze B2 (400€ ??? per pair)
- Focal JMlab Chorus 706S (360€ per pair)

They will be paired with a Harman Kardon AVR 130 or a NAD C320BEE.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

KBear
Unregistered guest
I just got the Energy C-1s with a Denon microsystem. The sound is great, but I had to add a subwoofer b/c the speakers struggled producing the low frequencies (I would guess most bookshelf speakers have this problem). I also like hard rock...GN'R mainly, which really had muddy sound until I hooked up my sub. The C-1s are great otherwise, and if you've got a sub hooked up I think you'll be fine.

You may have less of a bass problem with the C-3s as I'm sure they've got a larger woofer in them.

Bronze Member
Username: Onimushalord

Post Number: 15
Try the MA B2, the best of 3 listed IMO.
The C3 excel in highs but can sound a tad harsh on materials with an already bright tinge.
For the Focal, try the 707S if you want some real star performer, this is a slightly larger model that WHF really liked since its debut - at least better than the 706S(midbass = 7" akin to the B&W 602S3).
But overall, price to performance, MA B2s are the way to go for sheer musicality. If you like a bit more bass, go for the Focal 707S. The C3s are my last choice in this setup unless you prefer lots of treble in your music(and of course the magnetic /futuristic grille mesh)

Username: Freshfighter

AntwerpBelgium

Post Number: 3
Ok. Thx for the reply. I'm trying to find a reseller here which has all 3, but that's kinda hard here in Belgium. Especially the Energys are very difficult to find. I will definitely audition the MA B2's!

KBear
Unregistered guest
That is true about the Energys. I had to turn the treble down as it was a bit hard to take for extended periods. That's why I also think they might not be the best match for Denon. After adding the sub though, I found I could turn the treble back up a step or two. I guess the fuller bass adds a bit of warmth to the music. In the future I might replace the Energys with Paradigm Mini Monitors (a warmer speaker) or possibly even the MA B2s, and use the C-1s as part of a HT matched to a warm receiver.

HK is supposed to be a warm receiver, so if you go with that the C-3s could be a good match. I'd also use a sub. NAD is supposed to be less warm I think, so the Energys might only be an option if you go with the HK. As OL said though, it all depends on what kind of sound you like.

lauro
Unregistered guest
OnimushaLord:

What can you say about MA B2 with T753 receiver. As far as I know, T753 is on the neutral side while the MA is on a bright side. Do you think they could give an ear-friendly music, something thats free from brightness, harshness and sibilance, and still retains the detail and clarity? What about the punch?

MA B2 actually is one of the final choices for my T753 which includes Mini Monitor, DM601s3 and Image 2B. Mini Monitor is the number one, but what Larz said on another thread that theres a hint of harshness and boominess makes me confused if ill take the MAs as number one or retain the Mini monitor. Please enlighten me.
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Onimushalord

Post Number: 16
The MA B2 uses C-CAM ceramic-coated aluminium magnesium alloy(metal) tweeters, brand new can sound a tad bright but hardly harsh per se.
After breaking them in for 50 hours+, the highs smoothen out without any hint of harshness & integrate seamlessly with the midbass, quite surprising for metal tweeters. They do sound a bit forward in the midrange, but I wouldn't say it won't be a good match with the NAD T753(which is also full sounding in nature). I have heard the B2s with the NADC352 and they sound great.
WHF even regularly paired the B2s with the Cambridge Azur 640C/A combo which are a bit bright by nature and yet the final sound was never harsh or tiring to the audiophile ears. So pairing with the NAD won't be a problem, but as always, listen to the gear yourself as you it's your ears :-)

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us