Starting out - Receiver or All-in-one?

PJ
Unregistered guest
Compared to you folks, I am base level. My pioneer analog receiver finally died, have a new 36 inch Sony TV and some nice old Boston Acostic speakers. Should I start with a new receiver (looking at Sony to avoid componet confusion)- want to spend no more than $350) and add on components as I go (using existing spearkers)or just get the Theater in a Box - husband bought Onkyo HT-S570 but could return it. I like the simplicity but as you can tell I keep my equiptment a long time and want to be able to upgrade. Also noticed that the box theater does not appear to have front hookups for Playstation etc. Surround sound would be nice someday but listen to music more than TV. Room small with lots of big windows and open space. Any advice on where to go from here? Can someone recommend a good low end receiver? or multi function all in one?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 222
Sony is great for Video, but are overpriced and not as high quality in audio. You have to spend $2000+ on an ES line receiver before you see any quality IMO.

Try to find a deal on a Pioneer Elite receiver, you would get an excellent receiver. Also look at the AVR 230-430, they are rolling over to their newer line and may find a good deal on those, excellent as well. Marantz is also a good company at that price range and would come the closest with the 4400 at $400.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 223
Harman Kardon AVR230-430, sorry.

Username: Mortal_one

Canada

Post Number: 3
Do the Harman to start and a B&W center ie 300 series and then some nice rear surround fill speakers and you will be happy. Audition the centre with the speakers you already have. Buy from a place that will let you do this and you will be happy.

The ability to adapt as the technology changes is better than the convience of an all in one.

Do people still buy HP computers? Yes but they do not know what they are doing as it hard to upgrade and modify to the new stuff that is coming out.

Just a heads up.

edster922
Unregistered guest
If you're mainly doing HT then you can get great deals on Onkyo 502 or 601 especially if you do refurbished at ecost.com or new at jr.com,
$200-300 shipped. Very user friendly, easy to set up, loads of connections on the back, solid reliability reputation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us