Speakers for Denon 3805

Username: Magus

Post Number: 3
Hey, I recently bought a Denon 3805 receiver and was wondering what bookshelf speakers would work best with this receiver. I am willing to pay up to $3000 for them. Thanks alot.

Username: Magus

Post Number: 5
Changed my mind I don't need bookshelf speakers, just the best speakers that I can get for 3000

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 61
I have the 3805 as well.

You didn't say if you were going to with a surrond system or just a "pair of speakers. If I were going to spend $3000 on a surround system, I would listen to Paradigm Studio series, maybe even the reference series. I would also recommend PSB, NHT, Energy, Polk LSi's or Axiom (what I own).

Username: Caligula

Post Number: 5
For your budget ... and if you were ready to "shoot the works" ... then I'd look here: http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic80.html ... investing the balance in cables and, perhaps, toward an amp to drive your fronts ... and be done with it. Just a suggestion ... but I love my Axiom/3805 pairing.

Cali

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 65
John, check out Bluejeanscable.com and save a few bucks on those interconnects and speaker wire. I have the Denon 3805 and Axiom M22ti's in the front and Axiom all around.

John and Caligula -Check out audioholics.com for more good advice on speaker wire and a nice review on the 3805 (2004 Reciever of the Year.) Also Sound and Vision gave it a Reviewers Choice Award for 2004, and CNET picked it as an Editors Choice.

Username: Caligula

Post Number: 6
Yes, I have been wearing Blue Jeans out.

Actually, I used Axiom's bulk speaker wire. $.85/lf becomes very much a bargain when you realize the quality of the product. It is a VERY good wire.

I continue to hear very good things about the 3805 and am glad that I went with it instead of the 2805. I could not be more pleased witht he 3805/Axiom/HSU set-up. I plan to provide a detailed "debriefing" here soon.

Username: Blackdog

Post Number: 1
I own a Denon 3805 and have narrowed my speaker choices to:

1) Axiom - M22ti mains, VP150 center & QS8 surrounds

2) Ascend Acoustics - CMT340 mains & center, CBM170 surrounds.

The system will be 7.1 and combined with a SVS 25-31 PC+ sub.

Can anyone tell me their experience with this set-up or just an opinion?

Thanks!!

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 119
I have system 1 above with Qs4 surrounds and the Axiom EP175. The sound is excellent! The best of 7 systems that I have owned to date.

I also have a Denon DVD-2910. I listen to CD music in Pure Direct Mode (both DVD player and receiver in this playback mode) and the sound is clean, dynamic, holographic, and just plain fun to listen to. The highs are extended, smooth and pristine, the mids and vocals are realistic with just a tad of warmth, but not overly colored or forward, and the bass in tight, authoritative and tactile. DVD-A and mutlichannel sound are exceptionally good. For the money, I think the combination is unbeatable.

I too, considered Ascend (and Aperion) before ultimately deciding on the Axioms. I just could not find enough good reviews on the Ascends to make me feel comfortable going that way. Also, for cosmetic reasons, the Axioms are better looking in their well done cherry, albeit, vinyl veneer vs ascends black plastic box.

The M22ti was a top 100 products on audio revolution, and the speaker pick for audioholics.com $5000 system. Audioholics also compared the Axioms to some very high end monitors, some costing 2X to 3X more and Axiom
finished in the middle of the pack, and near the top in several categories. That sold me and I have been extremely happy ever since.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input Riches1..

I have always been leaning towards the Axiom's but wanted to hear it from someone first hand!! You mentioned the cherry finish and I am torn between that and black. Does the finish look nice?? I like it..

Funny thing I have just been researching the Denon 2910 also, but read some reviews that say the older 2900 is better. I prefer the newer 2910 though.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 120
Andrew:

The Cherry finish is very well crafted. You would not know that it was vinyl unless you examined it very closely - and then even then its hard to tell.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
for 3 grand?

Definatly the MartinLogan Vignettes! They are 650 each, and have a wonderful planar sound to them, as the speakers have a planar tweeter. They are almost electrostatic in smoothness. These, being designed with the Denon gear in mind will go very nicely with your reciever.

5 of these speakers are $3250, a bargin considering their sound. Just try to streach your budget just a little bit, and you will be amazed. ESPECIALLY if you already have a nice sub.

these speakers really will reward you with whatever you feed them. They really are a high end marvel.

Give MartinLogan a call at (785)749-0133

www.martinlogan.com

no I don't work for MartinLogan. I just think that they truly are the best bet for your money.

Post Number: 3
Due to design changes on my basement, large bookshelf speakers mounted on stands are not the option due the aesthetic reasons...Thinking of using Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 fronts, CMT340C center and Axiom QS4 or QS8' for rears.

Any Thoughts???

AB

Anonymous

For 3 grand you can get a real hi-fi system, not that wanna be hi-fi trash. I would have to support gavincumm on suggesting the Martin Logans. They are the real deal.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 122
Regarding Martin Logans - yeh, they sound good - too bad they're so ugly!

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 123
Andrew:

Obviously not the ideal set-up since the speakers aren't timbre matched, but the QS4's (I own a pair) are neutral enough that they could work. The Ascends are also regarded as being very neutral.

So, in my opinion, it sounds like a "workable" solution to your particular situation.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
LMAO!!!!

I can't believe you think that ML's are ugly!!!

They are the most visually stunning things that I have EVER seen, but opinions vary I suppose. check 'em out!

gavin

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
the vignettes are not the industrial see-through ML's that everyone thinks of, they have a typical look to them

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
although I prefer the see-through electrostats, which will be my future speaker purchase if I don't stay with magnepans

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 124
On the Marting Logans:

I have checked them out.

They are just plain, metallic-industrial-design, ugly edges. The kind of remind me of Aztec Indian hats.

BTW -these are on-wall speakers, so unless you have a plasma TV, there application is limited.

They probably would look even uglier on stands- And these are the "good looking" members of the family!

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
the see-through electrostats are visually stunning to me. you are truly the first person I have talked to that calls them ugly.

well...to each is own I guess

gavin

TPE
Unregistered guest
ML in comparison to Revel or B&W are very flat. I had to do a listening test between several speakers and ML were the worst sounding of the group. Not bad, just not as good. Look very contemporary though..liked that.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
what equipment did you do the listening test with? what model ML?

I will give you that revel are an OUTSTANDING speaker, and I love them. Sound truly IS a matter of personal preference, and from time to time I find ML a little to analytical. I don't have that much experience with B&W, but the models that I have heard had etched highs w/too forward a midrange. The bass also sounded slightly loose as well.

These were the 600 series however, and a couple of years ago.

now Innersound Eros electrostats on the other hand....aaahhhhhhhhh!

rayt
Unregistered guest
Man, with $3K, I would NOT be looking at anything Axiom. I've only heard a few of the Axioms, and I have never been impressed.

PSB Image, Boston Acoustics VRM B&W 600, Energy Connoisseur, Paradigm Studio, Totem, NHT, Martin Logan, Vandersteen 1B, Von Schweikert VR.... lots of good choices out there that *you can hear for yourself first* before buying. I'm always surprised that people will take a blind leap of faith and buy some speaker without hearing it first. I've had several people at work recommend speakers to me, and I went to listen to them and thought they were trash....goes to prove that only YOU can decide.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 125
Well rayt, you're one of the few that's not impressed with Axioms. Owners are almost cult-like in their love of their Axioms. I have owned Energy, Polk RTi8's, Paradigm Mini Monitors, CSW Tower II's, Boston Acoustics (not for long - BA VR's are bright and shrill) and Klipsch Reference, and the Axioms are hands down the best of that lot.

How can I "take a blind leap of faith and buy without hearing first? Well, first I read some reviews, like these:

Audio Video Revolution Top 100 products for 2004.
#21. "Axiom Audio Epic Grand speakers
Another company ready to bend over backward to sell you a pair of value-oriented, high-performance speakers is Axiom Audio. For those who love the sound of the best Canadian speakers but want big-sounding speakers on a small budget --these demand a click to check out."
(Axiom was #17 in 2003. That was better than Martin Logan, B&W, Energy Connoisseur, and Paradigm in 2003 and 2004.)

Audioholics.com:
Axioms can hold their own against speakers costing three times as much:
All we can say is that our initial assumptions about what a pair of $400 speakers should sound like were completely changed after our experience with these divas. In fact, this experience has forced us to re-evaluate what a pair of $1000 speakers should sound like, because these certainly sound as good as any $1000/pair speakers we have ever listened to. The highs were delightfully transparent, and clean. In fact the only speakers in this review we felt to be better in this regard were the considerably more expensive RBH 61-LSE ($1795/pair) and the Monitor Audio GR-10 ($1495/pair).
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/faceoff3_g.php

The Epic 50 home theater system is an extremely well priced system that delivers the performance of much more expensive systems. Good engineering teamed with good drivers deliver outstanding sound quality." DesignTechnica.com

Epic 60 System -- Home Theater and Sound Reviewer's Choice

The Axiom's were an absolute treat. They are a rare bargain that offers excellent performance at a reasonable price point. -- Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.

M3ti -- 2000 Soundstage.com Reviewers' Choice
M3ti -- 2001Soundstage.com Reviewers' Choice
M3ti -- 2001 Goodsound.com Product of the Year
M3ti -- 2001 Goudsound.com Great Buy
M2i -- 2002 Soundstage.com Reviewers' Choice
M2i -- 2003 Goodsound.com Great Buy
M60ti -- 2004 Goodsound.com Great Buy
M80ti -- "The Axiom M80ti is a very good speaker and an unquestioned value at $1,240 per pair." AudioVideoRevolution.com
M40ti- "they will give the competition at two or even three times their price a scare."

Axioms are trash? I could not disagree with you more. Axioms are amazing! They have a high end sound at a mid-fi price. I am absolutely incredulous that anyone would make such statement.

But, if I was going to spend $3000, I would buy the Axiom Epic 60 system and take the $900 I had left over and put it towards the Denon DVD-3910 to take advantage of the Denon Link on that Denon AVR-3805.

Anonymous

"How can I "take a blind leap of faith and buy without hearing first? Well, first I read some reviews, like these"

Axiom has a resonable advertising budget. You will notice their banner adds on almost every single audio site you visit which I highly doubt were free because their products were so awesome. This goes a long way towards getting good reviews. As for being like a cult, that isnt a good thing you know. In any event, it is because Axiom was genius enough to create their own forums. Not only does this spread word of mouth considerably to people who might be interested in buying, it keeps people happy with the decision they made and gives them reassurance from other cultists that they bought the best! Im sure you also realize that if you expect a speaker to sound better (which you probably would after lots of good reviews and good word of mouth) it will sound better in your mind. Its not that their sound is any better than Aperion, Paradigm, Ascend, etc or something which also get reviews saying they are the best things since sliced bread.

"Axioms are trash? I could not disagree with you more. Axioms are amazing! They have a high end sound at a mid-fi price. I am absolutely incredulous that anyone would make such statement. "

Axioms are by no means the best out there. Realistically they get a few good reviews, but lets face it, name some reviewers that actually OWN an axiom product. Then we can start discussing their status in the hi-fi world.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 126
I try not to criticize posts and stick to the topic at hand, but sometimes I just get dragged into it.....

The Axiom bashing sounds like an audio-elitism perspective to me. I don't subscribe to the notion that quality speakers can only be bought at audio boutiques owned by guys with names like "Deeter" who speak with mysterious accents.

I also love it when self professed audio critics dis the professional reviewers - people whose living depends on their objectivity. Reading reviews is a good place to start when considering audio gear. It's certainly more creditable than anything you would read on a forum - to include this one.

I have been an audio enthusiast for over 30 years. I have thorough knowledge of acoustics, electricity and the laws of physics. And I am still learning and researching all the time. I also play the guitar. I know a good value when I see one, and I know a good sound when I hear it. I certainly don't need reviewers to validate my decision. I don't need to over spend on audio status symbols to feel good about myself, either. I don't think Axioms sounds good because some reviewers say so. Axioms sound good because they are! Anyone that thinks Axiom is trash has no credibility in my book. (I was going to say that they were an idiot, but I won't). And I have to wonder about their qualifications and motivations about making such a ridiculous statement.

I didn't say Axiom was the best speaker. I just implied that it might be the best "value" in a speaker for the money -especially since they can compete with speakers costing up to three times as much. I then offered some third party comments that support that opinion.

BTW, they sound great with the Denon AVR-3805 - that's the title of this forum.....

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 13
Interesting thread......

I completely agree that speakers should be heard before buying. What one person likes, another one doesnt. It's all about personal preferences. I would never take a blind leap because a music reviewer was impressed with what he heard. What he likes might be something totally different from what I am looking for.

I do agree that many of the new speakers reproduce sound more accurately than years ago, but do not like the trend to tall skinny lightweight towers that require subs. Subs, IMO help but the listening experience is "NOT" the same.

I'd love to find a set of large heavy, beefy front speakers sporting 15" woofers at minimum, and capable of going down to 20hz that arent $3,000 or more per pair while still capable of performing "reasonably" well in the midrange and highs. Subs be darned, because I will never own one.....

I've listened subs in the over $1,000 price range, and none, IMO, really compared to big heavy cabinets of front speakers pumping 15"ers. I mean c'mon, how can you expect a little 10",or 12" speaker in a small box perform better?

The mid-price range for that category simply no longer exists.......I've recently been looking into replacing my 20 year old behemiths and shopped at circuit city, Best Buy, and Ultimate Electronics and havnt found a set that I liked. Yes, sure some of them might be better than mine if your're into listening to string quartets and classical music, but darn it........I could care less about that stuff.

I want large hefty speakers that are capable of shaking your foundation with clean tight bass while watching movies, and I do not want to spend $5,000-$10,000/pair. I've found several that I would love to own, but just cannot justify spending that kind of money in one of the alleged 'botiques' who are the only manufacturers who build that kind of speaker.

Where are the mass market midpriced speakers of this kind??

The entire trend in speaker manufacturing really frustrates me, and as you can plainly see.

I use this term jokingly so please do NOT take offense because none is intended, but I tend to joke about how the "music snobs" would not appreciate what I own, just as I probably would not with what they own.

Hense.....Im finally coming full circle here, so bear with me.....

It's a lot of fun to discuss speakers and recommend products, but always make the effort to listen to the product because what might be music nirvana to one person, might not necessarily be the same for you.

scheww......

Stepping down off soap box....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
My second comment on the many high quality speaker makers......

I have researched the many speaker 'botiques' on the web, and found a few models from various makes that I might be very happy with, and within my price range.

The big problem I have is that that many dont have enough dealers selling them for me to be able to properly sound test them. I may find that one builds a speaker with the perfect specs/price ratio for me, but if their closest retail location is 500 miles away, it doesnt do me a bit of good because Im not willing to travel the country to go speaker shopping.

BTW, of the three main retail chains who sell HIFI products, Ultimate Electronics by far had the best selection to choose from.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 127
Paul: good post. I have some '70's vintage Ohm L's with 32oz magnets on the 10" woofers that still sound great. I had to refoam the woofer about 10 years ago but they live on (in my son's bedroom) in all their walnut veneered glory. But a 15" woofer on a tower, geez, that would be the size of small refrigerator!

It almost seems as if some folks are under the impression that if you buy off the internet, you're stuck with what you get. Not necessarily.

First, I wouldn't buy from any retailer or internet vendor that didn't have a 30 day return policy. I audition in-store when I can, but usually purchase off the internet with a reputable vendor like like Crutchfield. In fact, I have auditioned, two sets of speakers, three recievers and two DVD players from this vendor alone. And they paid the postage when I sent the gear back! Once, I was even extended well beyond the 30 day return period. To me, it's a lot more convenient to get a return authorization number over the phone and hand the box to my UPS guy (Fred) than it is to drive back over to the Mall through bumper to bumper traffic (I live in Atlanta, a major factor in all this), lug the stuff out of the car, wait for a salesman, put up with their pouting about returning the $1500 purchase, wait for the computer to quit acting up, finally get my refund or lug my exchange back to the car and then drive back home.

Even in-store trials are at best, a preliminary audition. You never know what wires, interconnects, source input, refraction from adjacent speakers, EMI and RFI from nearby electronics, etc, etc, contribute to a speaker's sound in the "showroom". This is more of a factor at the "discount" audio dealers and less a problem at high end botiques.

The only valid test is how an audio component sounds when you set it up. All of the above variables impart properties to the sound. In isolation, each of these devices may not have much of an effect, but it all starts to add up as current starts to flow and eventually comes out the speaker converted as sound.

Individual room acoustics will influence sound as well, hence the trend toward recievers that not only calibrate channel levels, but room equalization as well. So, IMO, you never really know what the final product will sound like until it is set up in the actual listening environement.

And yes, I suppose it does take somewhat of a leap of faith to buy something sight and sound unseen and unheard. But a little research minimizes your risk of getting burned. That's where reviews can helpful, as well as reading posts like these. Even all of this needs to approached with a degree of skepticism. If Stereophile says its good, but you disagree, you are the one that is right!

And there are some absolutely great buys on the net, especially for discontinued or about to be discontinued models. I would advise to be wary about unauthorized resellers though, as the warranty usually most be handled by them and may not be available through factory certified repair centers.

Now, it's time for me to go listen to Joe Bonamassa, who if you are not familiar with his music, was just nominated as Blues Guitarist of the Year, along with Clapton and some other guys...

Anonymous

Axiom is simply outgunned in the 3000 dollar bracket. Their systems in the 1500 dollar bracket are fine and a decent value (although it seems people say that about every speaker in that bracket). However, when you get into systems in the 3000 range, Axiom isnt quite the value they were at 1500 (a lot of this has to do with the fact that their lower end speakers are very respectable). However, some higher end brands are in their best value at this point, several of which have been mentioned by other posters.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Yes....
My speakers are..........
:Warning:
(Music Connoisseurs, plug your ears for your own health)
.......1985 Cerwin Vega D'9s. They recently were in need of reconing so I decided to replace them. After a vain attempt to find something that I liked better, I went ahead and had them reconed and scratched the new speaker idea entirely. They're large speakers with 15"s and im not sure, but I believe the magnet is over 5lbs and each speaker weighs in at 85lbs. I cant find anything that compares for what I'm looking for which is a big soundstage for movies. I just cant get into the artsy connoisseur type of speakers. Whenever I sound test them, I end up walking out shaking my head. I know the experts say that subs are nondirectional and they deliver the same desired effect, etc...etc...etc, and that the sound quality is much higher, but I cannot hear it. After getting used to my twin 15"s behemoths breathing accross the room for 20 years, and then testing high end systems that require the use of subwoofers at the store, all I can say is that it is a very dissapointing sound test. I dont know what it is, but subwoofers do NOT deliver the same experience, IMO.

The first place I looked for replacements were the Infinity Website. I had a friend back in the 80s who had a set of massive Infinities that were very impressive but they no longer make the big heavy towers with 15"s anymore. Those things were awesome and huge, and wow, they souded great.......Im not sure, but I think they were over 100lbs each. Some of you here know a lot more than me, and probably know exactly which model I am talking about. Cripe......now days, if you want a big set of front speakers, you have to dish out $10,000 on something that's artsy. I'd be plenty happy with a basic well constructed design developed for performance, and not looks....

Anyway....Message ends here:

Audiophiles with critical ears are now free to chuckle about how bad CV's sound, and how wrong my opinions are regarding todays speakers .......:laugh:..........

PS___and no, Im not a metalhead headbanger type.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 129
Anon: You are entitled to your opinion about Axiom. I happen think you are wrong.

I think Axioms can compete easily with speakers costing twice as much, including offerings from B&W, NHT, PSB, Paradigm and Energy. I auditioned all of these brands before buying Axioms.

Anonymous

Good for you?

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
To my ears, axioms are fairly bright, and have a really ragged high frequency response. This is the way that the human ear prefers sound, and most lower end speakers that are sold in showrooms are tuned with the highs increased to make them sound more pleasing.

I am not bashing Axiom, I am just saying look around.

They are not as snooth as a high quality metal dome from other, usually higher priced, manufacturers. This may be due to the crossover design.

Can anyone throw in some speakers that have silk domes into the mix besides Aperion? They have a totally different sound, and IMHO it would be best to get a reccomendation from both ends of the spectrum.

Gavin

Stealth C
Unregistered guest
I am a fan of Cambridge Soundworks which uses silk dome tweeters for their Newton Series speakers. They arent as highly regarded as they used to be, but they still know how to make a decent speaker (despite what some people here might say). A (significantly) more expensive option is Vienna Acoustics, which I am also a fan of (if only I were rich...)

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 130
Gavincumm, Anon, et al:

OK, time for us all to take a deep breath and try to play nice in group-myself included.

You all seem to be fairly knowledgeable, so let's get back to the helping the audio neophytes with their questions and stop quibbling amongst ourselves.

I actually had a guy from North Carolina who saw some of my posts call me on my cell about audio advice yesterday. And I told him for his particular situation, that there were better choices for him than Axiom. He was mainly interested in home theater, and based on what he had narrowed his choices down to and his budget, I recommended Klipsch RB25's and a Harman Kardon receiver.

Funny how wide the opinions range on this - or any other component. I have head some pretty wild things about the Denon AVR-3805, which I also own.

Even the reviewers are all over the place on Axioms. I have seen "Secrets etc" describe the M80's as bright and another site describe the M60's as having rolled off highs.

Here's audioholics.com on the M22ti's (these are what I have)

"The highs were delightfully transparent, and clean. In fact the only speakers in this review we felt to be better in this regard were the considerably more expensive RBH 61-LSE ($1795/pair) and the Monitor Audio GR-10 ($1495/pair)."

Wow, I paid about that for my entire Axiom 5.1 system!

Back to the review:

"We did agree however, that the tweeter output may have been a tad high (say 1dB or so) as there was a slight emphasis in the "S's" in her lyrics."

So, is that bright or sibilant - or both? I don't hear it.

Back to audioholics.com:

"Some of the other speakers in this review, such as the Paradigm Studio 40v2, handled these oSa sounds with a bit more softness and finesses."

Now, about that ragged frequency response comment:

"However, this characteristic was not overly apparent in the almost ruler flat frequency response measurements of these speakers published by other professional reviewers."

Note that comment about "ruler flat frequency response". That hardly sounds ragged.

Also "-published by other professional reviewers." Frequency responses are measurable, objective criteria. We're not talking opinion anymore. And that's the way I usually see Axiom described.

But, if they sound bright to you Gavincumm, then they sound bright.

Excuse me for taking on the mantle of defender of the faith, but I listen to my Axioms everyday. You guys that have "heard" Axiom are talking about a snapshot in time.

But, yeh, if I was going to spend $3000 on speakers, I probably would not go with Axiom M80ti's. I would probably go with Paradigm Studio 40's and matching CC and surrounds with an Outlaw Audio Sub. Or maybe Monitor Audio or JL Lab. And that would have more to do with the fact that I am not a fan of floorstanders.

And I just can't bring myself to buy to anything made in China, regardless of how good it may sound. But that's politics and I don't want to get into that.

Now, back to Living Room and a little bit of Mark Knopfler Shangri - La.

Speaking of Knopler, one thing I really like about Axioms is the way guitar, acoustic and electric, sound on these speakers. That's another reason I like them so much. The first time I heard Dylan Unplugged on this system, I said "ohhh yeah, there it is!"

Now, I just hope the wife isn't engrossed in some chick flick on the big screen and I can listen to some jams.

Peace be with you all.

Post Number: 4
Thanks to advice from people like Riches1, this will be my final set-up (my basement won't be finished for another 2 weeks).

Denon 3805
Denon 2910 DVD
Monster Power Center HTS 3500 MKII
Toshiba 62HM94
Hughes HR10-250 HD Tivo
Axiom M22ti - fronts
Axiom VP150 - center
Axiom QS-4 - surrounds
Axiom QS-4 - rear surrounds
SVS 25-31 PC +
Better Cables

The TV came today and is with out a doubt the greatest picture I have ever seen!! It is set-up in my small living room until basement is done.

When all is installed I will post a full review..

For what it is worth, I have a Denon 2805 with RBH Sound CT-5.1 in my living room and the sound is outstanding!!!

AB

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 131
AB:

You're very kind.

Can't wait to read your review.

Riches1

Anonymous

Riches, no offense intended to you or your speakers. Axiom does make a fine product, I just get carried away from time to time. As for the variance in reviews, like I said reviewers are full of crap. They don't depend on their objectivity for their salary, they depend on advertising. These are the people that think that a particular type of speaker wire can sound warm....

As for what I would buy for 3 grand, simple answer. KEF Q series. They just jump out at me more than any other speaker (those brilliant highs and mids). Of course while I'm waiting to hit the lotto I'll make due with my Sennheiser HD600's and el cheapo HT system.

gavincumm
Unregistered guest
cables do have a lot to do with percieved brightness. When I saw that you had bettercables on your list my immediate thought was GREAT!

As I said before to Riches1, I am particular to the planar sound, and do not really care for metal done tweeters for the most part. There are a few exceptions.

I have heard however, that if you are going to do lots of serious listening, that the M22ti is the way to go. You made a good choice in that reguard.

I also am a big fan of SVS subs. deep, tight, accurate, and loud are really the only things that I can say about them. besides they are the best bang for the buck.

gavin

Anonymous

I am about to purchase the 3805, love the soundstage it puts out. For the fronts Im going to use some old M&K Satellites Ive had forever. They still sound great so I'll stick with them. Due to a basement finish I need to stick them in the wall. Anyone know where I can find JUST the speaker vent cover??? Needs to be around 8" wide and 19" high. Closest I can find is 14+3/4" tall. Appreciate any direction.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us