Svs? velodyne? sunfire???

Bronze Member
Username: James_s

Post Number: 14
I currently have a jamo sub, it's small, but impressive. However, I am looking for something that will push a little more air, say a velodyne spl 1200, a sunfire or an svs sub. Just asking for some suggestions/input. what is the best sub for what you pay? thank you

Username: Medpilot

Post Number: 9
I just bought a Polk 10" for $199 at CC. It sounds a lot better than I expected. I bought it as something to have until I get my SVS. I'm almost reconsidering getting the SVS. I'd be paying an extra $400 to hear down to 20Hz instead of 30Hz. Not sure if it's worth the $400.

Username: Medpilot

Post Number: 10
Oops, that should have said 40Hz instead of 30Hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 73
In my opinion, a speaker that only plays down to 40-30hz is only a woofer and not a subwoofer. You need that extra 30hz-18hz to REALLY shake the room!!! Then you have a subwoofer.

I have a older Infinity IL120S sub that peaks at 85db at 17hz and 90db at 20hz and it jumps up to about 110db+++ at 30hz.

From what I have read, some of the SVS subs SHOULD beat the crap out of my sub. I have heard nothing but good things about the SVS subs but I have never heard them in person.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
In my opinion, a speaker that only plays down to 40-30hz is only a woofer and not a subwoofer. You need that extra 30hz-18hz to REALLY shake the room!!! Then you have a subwoofer.

I have a older Infinity IL120S sub that peaks at 85db at 17hz and 90db at 20hz and it jumps up to about 110db+++ at 30hz.

From what I have read, some of the SVS subs SHOULD beat the crap out of my sub. I have heard nothing but good things about the SVS subs but I have never heard them in person.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
thanx for the input, I have heard a svs sub, well two actually in the same room, it was pretty intense, but Ionly heard it in a movie for a very brief period of time. Has anyone ever heard a velodyne spl 1200 or a sunfire sub in person, or know of someone who has??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Here you go, check this out.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/HOM/Product%20Information/SV06%20SUBWAY%20SERIES.Q 8.pdf

Username: Kida

Post Number: 10
I have the SVS 25-32Pci tuned to 22hz. My room is 12x26 with 2 openings. If I set the gain to anything higher then 25% it rattles the lights in the kitchen. Not cheap at $650 but definitely pushes some air. For $50 more they have a box version.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I'm assumiong that you meant the SVS 25-31 Pci, and you know that you could have picked it up from the dealer for $549.00

Bronze Member
Username: Kida

Post Number: 11
No actually I got the super secret 25-32Pci. Its triangular, runs on crank power and costs a little more - but its well worth it.

Thanks james. 25-31 and $549 are correct.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 259
IMO, there are five sub makers that are just plain better at it than anyone else. The title of this thread names three of them: SVS, Velodyne, and Sunfire. To those three, add Hsu Research and REL. Among those five, you should be able to find the sub that meets your needs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
k, thank you very much, I belie that I have settled on an svs sub, either the SVS PB1-Plus box sub, or the SVS PC-Ultra, however I am not sure which one, I was told that the cylinder ones are just as good as the box, and that the only difference is the actual size of the unit? I was wondering if that is the only difference? I know that you can tune them both down to 16hz (which is below the humna hearing spectrum, at this point you can't hear the bass, only feel it) which is awesome, it sounds like the woofers of the two are very similar, the sub for the box sub has some extra research put into it so that they could make it smaller, but did that compromise any of the sound quality? if anyone would happen to know more about these, or heard them in person please let me know, thank you very much.

Username: Lorrin

Post Number: 4
Hey Hawk - which ones do you mean by "anyone else" -- seems every time I go looking I find some new company I haven't heard of. What other ones have you listened to? I've been favorably impressed by M&K (not always the deepest or the most SPL, but always tight and musical) and Paradigms (only have heard a PW-2100 and a Seismic 12; both sounded excellent)

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 306
Lorrin:

I agree that there is always somebody else coming out with a subwoofer. Still, I have heard the M&Ks, the Paradigms, the PSBs, the Cambridge Audios, and others too numerous to name, but all are pretty good and some are quite good (Paradigm Seismic, for isntance). Not many bad subs out there, really (save for the Cerwin Vegas, KLHs and some of the other under $200 cheapies). Still, those five are just better--they go lower, with less distortion, and less "boominess". Furthermore, what those five brands have in common is that they are all "fast." You never have the low frequency notes struck a millisecond late. Instead, they strike their notes at just the right time, every time. Not every subwoofer is what I consider fast. Without speed, a sub can be a real distraction, rather than an augmentaion to the sound.

Finally, what distringuishes those five brands is that they do not build to price points. They each have a concept of what a sub is supposed to do and how it can get done. They do not build a budget model just to make a low price point (although Dr. Hsu is getting close with his new STF line). Instead, they will not build a sub below a certain point where a sub cannot do what their concept says a sub is supposed to do. Instead, they make a very high quality sub throughout their line.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 13
I've had the Sunfire True Sub Jr for about 3 weeks now. I had to dial it down, it can really shake the house. I mated it with a Marantz 7400 and have the crossover set at 100 Hz. You have a lot of control over this sub with the controls that are built into it. Carver does a nice job. As usual I haven't heard it in the same room with Svs or Velodyne. This one is only a 9 inch cube but powerful.

St. Louis Blues
Unregistered guest
Anthony-

I really like the small footprint of the Sunfire- when compared to most of the others. Have you found this sub to work well w/ movies/ video? How about music? Are there any shortfalls?

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 15
I've used it with DVD movies and music (CD and Cable music channels), no video games or video DVDs. I have two settings I dial in. One a little higher volume for movies and one a little lower for CD music. The cable music channels don't sound that great on any setting, but passable for whole house listening.
I like the size, it is a 9" cube. It has control on the sub for min to max volume, crossover (I leave that alone and use my Marantz to set it) and a third setting I haven't used yet (and don't remember what it is, old age creeping in!). Downside is it is possibly too much sub for my system. Both of the settings I use are 1/2 of the max or less. The sound is rich. It seems to recover fast enough to handle the drum scenes in the movie "Drumline" which I use as a demo disk to show off the system. If you leave it too loud it has a tendency to reverberate (could be the room) and sound like BooomBoooomBoooom. I have found what to my ears are the perfect settings for movies and CDs in combination with my ADS front and center speakers (ADS250LCR). I'm actually driving BOSE series 5 cubes for rear speakers becasue the wife wanted them hidden and they fit on the window sill behind the couch. But sound is such a personal thing, you need to find what sounds good to you.

Bronze Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 54
best sub for what you pay? SVS and Hsu Research are both on my short list.

I'm currently enjoying a HSU Research VTF-3Mk2 in Piano Black and it's very capable.

Username: Jasonhall

Does anyone know a place in the Maryland DC/Baltimore area that might carry SVS or Hsu Research subs, or can they only be purchased online? I am hesitant to buy a sub online before I have ever heard it...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
CompUSA is now carrying Hsu STF-2's. Beware they don't demonstrate it very well. It just sits on the shelf, not in a listening room. They have a 14 day trial period with a 15% restocking fee. OTOH, SVS and Hsu purchased directly offer a 45 and 30 trial and no restocking fee.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the info Heff. I did not even think to look at CompUSA for audio.

Would you buy an SVS or Hsu online over something like a Velodyne that I know I could test in a listening room with my receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_s

Post Number: 26
Is getting an SVS PCi 25-31 sub tuned to 22hz the same as switching the HSU VTF from loud mode to low mode? That is, do you lose the tightness of the bass for added boom? Thanks, Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
While Velodyne has a respected name and can be heard at Circuit City, their SPL II and their flagship HGS series are only carried in Hi-Fi shops. You will pay more for velodyne than SVS and Hsu.

SVS and Hsu both offer 45 and 30 day return privilege, but return shipping is on your dime. Do you have lots of money, room and no WAF factor to consider? You can try them all and let your ears decide. he he.

I was hesitant at first ordering a big item like a sub online, but after speaking with Dr. Hsu and reading forums about his experience and his products, I went ahead and ordered one. After speaking with him earlier this month, Hsu sent me one in piano black even though that finish is not officially shipping until April!

I'm sure the SVS owners are just as happy with their subs, so you can't go wrong either way.

Post Number: 8
I guess maybe I should go to CompUSA and try to listen to the STF-2 and then decide whether to get the STF-2 or move up and order the VTF online. Probably would not hurt to call Dr. Hsu as well. It appears to be a fairly strong brand as so many people on this site rave about the Hsu Research subs.

Username: Alanranch

Just wondering if any of you guys heard or tested the Atlantic Tech T90 and 172 PMB subs. What are the good and weak points pls. I like to buy it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us