H/K AVR x35 as pre-amp

Username: Cedman1

Chicago

Post Number: 2
I'm looking to upgrade my Marantz Av-550 pre-amp due to some shortcomings that I can no longer deal with. My question is has any one used a H/K AVR 23x or 33x receiver as a pre-amp? How does it process? Sound (Movies, Music)?

Thx

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 186
Why would you get a receiver with good high current power and only use it as a pre-amp? You can get better sound processing and control out of a designated pre-amp. The HK would do fine, but there's better options.

Chicago

Post Number: 3
Kano,

Sounds funny doesn't it... My budget is what is limiting my selection. I would love to get a dedicated unit however I'm trying to squeeze in a sonic upgrade with my video upgrade <--- money going here.

I was able to audition my older NAD pre-amp with my current system and their was a noticable difference. In all honesty I would love to get an EAD unit or even an outlaw however, this project will not allow that. So that left me with getting hopefully a better sounding unit with more features. I'm choosing H/K because of reputation. I've never heard any of their units however I've heard the Denon's and Yamaha's and generally like the sound however with my setup I'm not so sure they would work well. That is why I posted.

You mentioned better options I would happily receive any advice you have, my budget, up to 400.00 USD

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 187
Well I'd say the Outlaw 950 at $800 is your best bet, the quality and features are worth it IMO. Maybe you can find one used on Audigon.

Chicago

Post Number: 4
Kano,

Thanks, I've upped my budget and will look at the Outlaw 950. How is the 2-channel stereo? My current pre-amp gives a very thin presentation because everything going into the unit is converted to Digital and then back to Analog. (DAC's are outdated)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us